Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Asvarduil
Officer

Re: Shows I'd like to see Chuck review

Post by Asvarduil »

Archanubis wrote:Probably mentioned this before, but considering Chuck also does video games, I'd love to see reviews of some of the recent Transformers games, e.g. War for Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron, and Devastation. There are some scenes in these games I'd love to see Chuck's reaction to (e.g. taking control of Bruticus in FoC).
For video games, there's some seminal entries that Chuck needs to review.

Final Fantasy VII - Much as how Chuck initiated himself to anime, FFVII is how many initiated themselves to JRPGs. As JRPGs are heavily story-driven, Chuck can more easiliy comment on the story underlying the experience. That there's a good mix of science fiction - specifically, an energy source that makes all sorts of shenanigans possible including magic - as well as some deceptively well-nuanced characters...I think he'd have some interesting things to say with FFVII.

Final Fantasy XIII - Generally equatable with early Enterprise in terms of contributions to gaming, XIII is a polarizing title. Some swear by it, for some legitimate reasons. Others swear against it, also for legitimate reasons. I personally don't consider it a JRPG at all, despite the menu-driven combat system, as it eschews so much of the RPG roots that I'm not sure it can reasonably be called one...but still. That controversial nature means that a more neutral viewpoint - Chuck's - might have some really insightful things to say. I'd watch his review of that. This work, while it has magic, veers toward science fantasy territory.

Xenoblade Chronicles - A remarkably long, but also deep game, that has some real gut-punches and rather interesting real-world context, particularly at the state of the games industry in the post-World of Warcraft world. There's some real ruminations on the role of free will, the practice of holding grudges, and much more. I think Chuck would have a field day with the game when in a serious mood, but could also rip the heck out of some of the game's plot holes, while also finding reasons to forgive those. I personally think Xenoblade Chronicles is the Star Trek V of eastern RPGs. While this game is mostly a fantasy - with mechs - there's some sci-fi in some unlikely places.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I'd honestly like to see his thoughts on the first Mass Effect game, and maybe in comparison to its sequels. I'd also be interested in what he thought of the two Elite Force games, especially the first one as it was made to be kind of like a Voyager episode.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

I'd like to see him tackle the Godzilla 98 animated series. Like, seriously, as an experiment in seeing how a show based on a hated movie can somehow end up being beloved by fans of the franchise regardless. And I wouldn't mind seeing him go through Gravity Falls either or, better yet, Star Wars Rebels is getting close to ending. I'd love to see him do that one, maybe comment on Ahsoka's journey as it plays out in season 2 and such.

Failing all that... Ninja Turtles... any of the series really, but preferably the most recent one since that goes balls to the wall all in on sci-fi insanity and genre flick homages. 2003 series would work too.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Rodan56 wrote:I'd like to see him tackle the Godzilla 98 animated series. Like, seriously, as an experiment in seeing how a show based on a hated movie can somehow end up being beloved by fans of the franchise regardless. And I wouldn't mind seeing him go through Gravity Falls either or, better yet, Star Wars Rebels is getting close to ending. I'd love to see him do that one, maybe comment on Ahsoka's journey as it plays out in season 2 and such.
Some amount of Gravity Falls is on the agenda I think... when he opened the queue up in limited capacity, filling out episodes of that was one of the options. "Gravity Falls Season 1 Episodes". I dunno if that means he's got a handful of random episodes from that season and would like more to flesh out for context... or if it means someone went crazy and put down for all of season 2 but none of 1.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Some amount of Gravity Falls is on the agenda I think... when he opened the queue up in limited capacity, filling out episodes of that was one of the options. "Gravity Falls Season 1 Episodes". I dunno if that means he's got a handful of random episodes from that season and would like more to flesh out for context... or if it means someone went crazy and put down for all of season 2 but none of 1.
See, this is why I haven't made another request for this reason. He already has SO MUCH on his plate that I don't want to add to it until he's gotten around to mine. I waited until he did Wall-E to request Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn for that very reason. He still hasn't gotten around to it yet, but honestly I don't blame him given how he's gotten so many requests at this point he's had to close them down for a while.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

DAv wrote:I know it's not something Chuck normally does, but I'd love to see his take on the 1960's TV shows, The Avengers and The Prisoner. They're incredibly stylish and capture some of the pop culture feel that was Cool Britannia at its height. Plus, they both contained Sci-Fi elements and the former was incredibly quirky and fun at its best.
If I remember correctly, Chuck mentions being a fan of The Prisoner in a review or two.

I'd like to see more Twilight Zone. I would have to think that they make for comparatively easy reviews, and almost every episode has an element that's worthy of discussion. The most recent dvd and blu-ray releases have a ton of awesome supplemental material as well.
The owls are not what they seem.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:
If I remember correctly, Chuck mentions being a fan of The Prisoner in a review or two.

I'd like to see more Twilight Zone. I would have to think that they make for comparatively easy reviews, and almost every episode has an element that's worthy of discussion. The most recent dvd and blu-ray releases have a ton of awesome supplemental material as well.

Those are all good, but if we are talking Sixties shows, I wouldn't mind seeing some Ultraman in there too. That is some solid gold fun Japanese Sci-Fi
Last edited by Rodan56 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Personally, I'd want him to do that television show he mentioned during The Nth Degree's review instead.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
DanteC
Officer

Post by DanteC »

Admiral X wrote:I'd honestly like to see his thoughts on the first Mass Effect game, and maybe in comparison to its sequels. I'd also be interested in what he thought of the two Elite Force games, especially the first one as it was made to be kind of like a Voyager episode.
Also, you can shoot Neelix.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Dr. David Banner—physician, scientist...searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have. Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation alters his body chemistry. And now, when David Banner grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs.