Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jadenova
Officer

Re: Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Post by jadenova »

I lost it with the Boris and Natasha joke at the beginning.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

Oh, come on! Am I the only one who was traumatized by THIS as a child?

https://youtu.be/8Ok3_S8AJsk?t=27
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Minski wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:43 pm "Our tale begins in what seems to be a seedy eastern European country!"

*Character Speaks German.*
As a German I slightly question your definitions of "seedy" and "Eastern"... :? :o
Hey it was the 60s, anything on the wrong side of the curtain is fair game xD

Though the "sea to sea" line makes me think this is more in holstein, so who knows xD
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

So... Is this mostly a US thing? Because I don't recall ever seeing these shows in the UK (well, at least not in my lifetime (40 later this year)), if they were only aired here in the 70s I wouldn't have, obviously.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Aotrs Commander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm So... Is this mostly a US thing? Because I don't recall ever seeing these shows in the UK (well, at least not in my lifetime (40 later this year)), if they were only aired here in the 70s I wouldn't have, obviously.
In the US this is one of those holiday movies that plays every year. Outside the US you can still see it, but it's not a tradition so you are unlikely to see it several times a week during the winter months as you would if you lived in the US.

I'm sure you can find a similar movie or tv special that is shown in the UK every single Saturnalia.
Last edited by AlucardNoir on Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
jadenova
Officer

Post by jadenova »

What the hell was this? There was no sex scenes whatsoever. If I watch a movie entitled 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' I expect sex scenes.
Aotrs Commander
Officer

Post by Aotrs Commander »

AlucardNoir wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:59 pm
Aotrs Commander wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm So... Is this mostly a US thing? Because I don't recall ever seeing these shows in the UK (well, at least not in my lifetime (40 later this year)), if they were only aired here in the 70s I wouldn't have, obviously.
In the US this is one of those holiday movies that plays every year. Outside the US you can still see it, but it's not a tradition so you are unlikely to see it several times a week during the winter months as you would if you lived in the US.

I'm sure you an find a similar movie or tv special that is shown in the UK every single Saturnalia.
I believe the running joke was it was the Great Escape a good number of years ago, and more likely reruns of the Two Ronnies or Morcambe and Wise in later years.

Though to be fair, it's been a good few years since I even really paid attention to what was on TV at Christmas - aside from the Doctor Who specials (I barely pay attention to regular TV anymore, period, come to that...!), so I can't bring anything else to mind off the top of my head.
Maximara
Redshirt

Post by Maximara »

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus that is referenced near the end of the video is actually an adaptation of L. Frank Baum's 1902 book of the same name and so wasn't a "reboot" but rather a telling of an older origin. Baum's book was also turned into a standard animated feature in 2000.

I should mention that the shared universe aspect broke down near the end as "Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July" is at total odds with "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" as it is not explained why Lady Boreal took actions against Winterbolt but not against the Winter Warlock.

It doesn't help that Winterbolt doesn't come off as a true villain as nearly all his evil actions are the result of him listening to his ice genie making his end all the more disturbing.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

jadenova wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 pm What the hell was this? There was no sex scenes whatsoever. If I watch a movie entitled 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town' I expect sex scenes.
You want the Cinemasnob, not SFDebris.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Linkara wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:35 am As I said on twitter, this was my favorite origin of Santa story until my wife showed me the Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. While that one has more weirdness to it (owing to being written by Frank L. Baum, the same guy behind the Wizard of Oz) it has a stronger ending plus a friggin' battle between demonic trolls and woodland immortals (and a LASER AXE). The problem with this one is that the story just kind of peters out, with them just saying "Oh, and then the Burgermeister died and everything was okay," almost like they ran out of budget or couldn't think of a way to convincingly have him turn around after such a long campaign against Santa.
yeah, having the Burgermeister get the bad end from A Christmas Carol seemed weird because Winter Warlock was redeemed in the same story, Burgermeister almost turned around earlier and Christmas specials in general don't get that harsh with antagonists.

wile their fine for what they are, I'm not that fond of the Rankin/Bass specials, at least as an adult. like others, I found the stop motion Rudolph far too mean spirited and prefer the 2D animated version but considering the rest of GoodTimes Entertainment's filmography, it was probably an accident that version of Rudolph got decent scores on Rotten Tomatoes.