Pacific Rim Review

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Pacific Rim Review

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:27 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pmNow, I'll watch the review and see if Charles thinks different.
Nope, he doesn't, I am not surprised at all. This movie needed much more praise than it recieved back when it was released, but it was just dumped into the Bayformer's bin for all the wrong reasons. I still vividly remember the experience in the cinema and it's one of those movies, that I'd always buy a ticket for, if it would rerun.
That's the impression I got when it came out so I never bothered watching it - sounded like another pile of tedious self-indulgent CGI scenes. Sounds like it's worth a watch after all (despite now having seen a big pile of spoilers).
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Mecha82 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:27 pm
mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 pm One of the first things we see the military do in this movie is have fighter jets try to engage a Kaiju at melee range. I think that sums up how seriously we're supposed to take the military and physics element.
I know right. I mean sure they do that just because it looks cool but it doesn't make any sense when military jets could easily shoot they missiles at kaiju from long range.
Modern military equipment is always a bit of a bugger for Hollywood, much harder to look impressive when it all happens too far away from each other to even see. Same reason we get spaceships right on top of each other when even greater ranges still would be more likely.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Dae tone wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am I am somewhat disappointed by this review. Let me preface this with the statement, Chuck has provided me with hundreds if not thousands of hours of entertainment through his reviews, all without requiring I pay him anything, and for that I am thankful to him.

However in my opinion, despite the length of the review, there wasn't all that much said. It felt almost like a paint by numbers play by play of the film. This is the most generic Chuck has ever felt to me. I'd rather not write a wall of text trying to make my argument but just state a few stray observations.

The background information video was good, I had heard most of it before but I enjoyed the information and the method of laying out Del Torro's process of getting this and other films made.
I enjoyed the background video and was surprised when the review ended with almost no analysis, too. It was enjoyable, but I've come to expect more due to the emphasis on Godzilla and related films.
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

One moment I love in this movie is when Striker Eureka is disabled, and the pilots climb out with flare guns to fire them at Leatherback. They know this won't stop it. They don't know that Gypsy is still functional to come bail them out. They only know that they are all that is standing between 2 Kaiju and Hong Kong. So they fire their flares, hoping to buy seconds for maybe a few more civilians to reach safety.

The son (forget his name, too lazy to look it up), may have been an asshole, but he was a hero just the same.

Something I remember Del Toro commenting on in the Director's Commentary, the right side of the Jaeger's cockpit is the dominant side of the pilot pair. Hercules was dominant over his son, and so later was Pentacost. Yansie being the elder brother was dominant over Rayleigh. Then later Rayleigh, as the more experienced pilot, was dominant over Mako, the rookie. Which means with the Russian couple, the wife was the dominant one in their relationship.

Judging from the discussion in this thread, I'm in the minority on this, but I kinda liked Pacific Rim Uprising. I didn't care for them killing off Mako, and the first one was definitely superior, but I thought it was a serviceable sequel.
ran76
Redshirt

Post by ran76 »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:21 pm
There is one thing I will nag on though: when Gipsy Danger brought out the sword on the flying kaiju, my thought was "Why the hell didn't you use that sooner?"
My issue with that scene is "How the hell did Raleigh not know about the sword?" You would think someone would mention new weaponry in the Jaeger he was specifically brought in to pilot. Or he would find out about it during the drift with Mako.
ran76
Redshirt

Post by ran76 »

At the end of the review, Chuck mentions a movie, "Into Darkness". I tried looking it up out of curiosity and all I get are results about Star Trek. Did he mean Star Trek or is there a movie by that name?
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

ran76 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:54 am At the end of the review, Chuck mentions a movie, "Into Darkness". I tried looking it up out of curiosity and all I get are results about Star Trek. Did he mean Star Trek or is there a movie by that name?
He was talking about Star Treks.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

The main thing I dislike about this movie is that its background story is more interesting than the movie itself. It feels like it's at odds with its original premise to just have fun with robots and monsters fighting when what's shown is a nadir of that.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Beastro wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 am The main thing I dislike about this movie is that its background story is more interesting than the movie itself. It feels like it's at odds with its original premise to just have fun with robots and monsters fighting when what's shown is a nadir of that.
You know, I think you described why the movie doesn't quite work for me. It was okay, but never hit that "awesome" I was hoping for, and I think that's why.