The Final Star Wars Trailer

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Final Star Wars Trailer

Post by Yukaphile »

Even if you need to make endless war, there are better ways to do so. I think it is the fact it's nonstop endless Rebels vs. Empire and a rehash of Legends as well as that this time period had mostly been done a few years ago that is the problem. I'd personally set it thousands or millions of years into the future. But because the current crop of people in charge have no imagination and Star Wars "came back" at a time when corporate limitations are worse than ever, there is a certain mindless action quota they have to meet that just was not present two decades ago or even further back.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They don't know or care about what we want. They are out of touch. Most people did not hate the prequels for "being new," but poor execution. And just because Legends was a mess did NOT mean most Legends fans would be happy to see it killed in such a clumsy manner. Like trying to behead a wolf, but you end up dropping the blunt end on your toe, and you let it go, as the wolf then turns on you, causing you to run right into an electric fence.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, movies today are mostly "all" action movies. And it puts me in mind of something Chuck said in his Bayformers reviews, as well as what he said while reviewing Stargate. A lot of people may enjoy these modern movies, but they are not good for you, and I think we know that. I'll take that metaphor a bit further. That it's like a child being told to eat all your food, potatoes, green vegetables, before you can have ice cream. If you've had nothing but ice cream for, say (to keep stretching the allegory even further, but bear with me), a year, then... you'd obviously be feeling ill effects. It's good, sure, but it won't help you. It's not healthy. And I think most moviegoing audiences are at a disadvantage because they are in a position of being so beaten down they WANT to turn off their brains, and can accept stuff they wouldn't normally. I bet if Batman & Robin had had a sequel, that would have made money. Even with Star Wars fatigue, Solo made money. That's why they're pushing back any further movies. So it doesn't reach the point where it does cut into their profits.
Last edited by Yukaphile on Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

After that "year of eating nothing but ice cream" we know they are bad now, not in the golden age anymore, but we keep going to see them to escape reality.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

This is what I meant, Mecha82. Most moviegoers are NOT nerds who will pick it apart and hold those in charge to a higher standard. They just want a cheap thrill ride, nothing more. We let the prequels and the Bayformers happen. That proves how dumb most moviegoers are.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And I'd rather NOT share Star Wars with people who don't demand a higher standard.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 pm They don't know or care about what we want.
Speak for yourself because you can only speak for yourself. Just because you don't like sequel trilogy and new material while worshiping Legends doesn't mean that you have right to talk like it's everyone's opinion when it's not. And no, you are not better than everyone else either by being over obsessed fanboy.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

The fact remains that there is an eager audience for a continuation of 'Legends'. The reason Disney aren't going with two separate continuities is because 'Canon' doesn't have it's own continuity. The audience is being, essentially, asked to pay for a slightly distorted and paired-up retelling of the old EU works.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I can agree, to an extent, but call it Lucasfilm, please. Level your criticism appropriately, even here. Disney merely bought a shell company. People like Kathleen Kennedy CHOSE to "reboot" Star Wars all their own. But I will maintain that the last 20 years have proved how very low audience expectations really are. Perhaps they always were. But I also blame being a late-stage society in serious need of new growth, or we won't survive.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 am
Admiral X wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:10 amFunny thing about the Star Destroyers rising from water in the trailer is that it instantly reminded me of a similar shot in Abrams Trek.
Enterprise rising up out of the rings? Yeah I can see that. All the ice shattering off of it reminded me of the Yamato launching from the sea bed in the Space Battleship Yamato live action remake a few years ago.
No, the JJ-prise rising up out of the water in the beginning of Into Darkness. He's basically cribbing off of himself nowadays.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR