The Last Jedi Two Years Later

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Actarus
Officer

Re: The Last Jedi Two Years Later

Post by Actarus »

Robovski wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:51 pm So people aren't allowed to express their opinions because other people have expressed that opinion and you find that tiresome?
Especially when it's the same people expressing the same opinion with the same arguments heard a million time in a new thread or video almost every day, yes it's tiresome. It's like they are on a mission. The religious kind.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

It's a free forum. But if you are seeing and hearing a lot of the same thing, maybe there is a commonality to consider, like shit be bad and such.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Plus this subforum has what, twelve people?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Robovski wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:41 am It's a free forum. But if you are seeing and hearing a lot of the same thing, maybe there is a commonality to consider, like shit be bad and such.
More like people that don't like something being most vocal about they opinions and wanting others to share those opinions than those that do. Thus whole attitude that people must share that same negative opinion and that it's some how only correct opinion.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh look, here comes Mr. Obsessed himself! :lol:

I do wanna say this. I can agree with Mecha82 and Actarus in that, well... Lord knows I've gone on a spitting tangent before, and this is a borderline religious crusade for some people. I speak from experience. Fandom tends to get pretty passionate especially with Star Wars, and in this case, I think it may be partially that we're still coming off my spamming of Star Wars topics, which you will notice I have not done lately, because I can sympathize to their arguments that at some point you gotta slow down and take the time to BREATHE. This is why I've been taking time away from the forums. To give y'all a chance to relax - as relaxed as hardcore sci-fi/political nerds ever do. :D

I mean, we all know where my bias lies on this topic. I find it sickeningly amusing that the Disney company (even if it was Lucasfilm), built on childhood memories and feelings of happy nostalgia, first burns down all previous materials to tell the new stuff which was clearly mass-marketed pandering to recapture all of the returns from A New Hope in the modern era. And then after burning bridges with the older fans who kept it going long after Star Wars had faded from geek circles, us assholes? Yeah, we were told "they should not be beholden to you!" But then I've also repeatedly said I don't mind those who like the new material and I've praised where I think it did good stuff too, when it was fresh and new and set apart from Legends. But past that, it's all bad mojo. The fans are toxic, and those in charge are incompetent. I think that's a fair assessment. It is NOT a healthy combination. Just focus on the stuff that helps you cope. I'm doing so with my own fanfiction.

Let's get back to topic. Even ignoring that, there are a few things I can contribute to this discussion and touch up on without ever having seen the movie itself. I will concede, if you assume the Force to be a loving, warm, light, and nurturing life energy, then yes, I could agree I think it is "female," at least as close as our perspective gets to that. I personally consider the Force to be more like what Kreia had said. That billions of lives are lost to maintain a facade, an order of balance in which it swings over to the dark, then back over to the light in endless feuds that burn whole planets off the map. There's your optimism, kids.

Though I think you guys are all missing something, and it is how these movies are just WAY too fast-paced today. To me, that always seems like the hallmark of a lazy writer trying to influence you by spamming images and words too fast so you don't actually notice it and they can slip in subliminal messaging. Toy Story 4 did this. Transformers did this, to some extent. Now it seems that Star Wars is doing it. It's why I keep quoting Mark Hamill's "cinema of bewilderment" line. Hell, Episode 8 picks up right after The Force Awakens, which is the complaint Winter has leveled. That there's no time to sit down and reflect, and focus. Maybe if they hadn't opened it immediately following Episode 7, that would be the case.

But I've said my piece. I hope this generates discussion. What do you guys think?
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Actarus wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 pm Listen, Snarkey,
:lol:
I have no problem with people not liking TLJ. That's their right and I'm okay with it. But creating threads after threads after bloody f*cking threads complaining and ranting about the same goddamned wretched thing just gets unnerving. You would think that after two long years with far more important issues than a silly space opera they would have gotten over it but no!
Because the movie really, really, sucks, and it hasn't gotten old bashing on it yet. It will probably never get old bashing on it. Probably the only thing that'll reduce the amount of bashing is when we get something new that's awful to bash on. And even then, it'll just be reduced, not go away. I mean, there's still plenty of bashing on the Prequels, so why would TLJ be any different? So I'm going to suggest that you get used to that and deal with it in whichever way seems best to you. I posted a link that's entire reason for being is to be a safe place to talk Disney Wars up and be positive about it - feel free to stick entirely to that thread and ignore every other one that's being negative about Disney Wars. Or just stay off the internet for your own mental health. ;)
They haven't convinced anyone who likes the movie after two years, but hey, why not create one more thread? Or another video about the Evil Wicked Witch of Disneyland. Maybe those poor heretics will see the light, this time? Right? Right?
Mighty presumptuous of you to think anyone bashing on the movie is trying to "convert" anyone instead of just having a bit of catharsis.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, their whole point was that it's nothing new. I keep insisting Star Wars is now the same old, same old. Isn't that what you're doing? So, maybe we should all try stopping for a while?

Yes, hating on it is trendy. It's also VERY good at venting off frustrations. But, we need to cool it down a little bit, or we'll be angry for so long, that all we can do is keep coming back and taking it out on this stupid video review show! I mean... some of us have problems.

(Okay, that was a nod to Chuck's words from TNG's "The Wounded." Sue me. :P)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:55 am
Robovski wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:41 am It's a free forum. But if you are seeing and hearing a lot of the same thing, maybe there is a commonality to consider, like shit be bad and such.
More like people that don't like something being most vocal about they opinions and wanting others to share those opinions than those that do. Thus whole attitude that people must share that same negative opinion and that it's some how only correct opinion.
Show me the person on this forum that believes that everyone should share their views on the The Last Jedi. Just show me one post. I accuse you of projection, friend.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I think we should all share our views... :shock:
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I do think the bashing of The Last Jedi will die down.

I mean I do remember how the Trek community was with Voyager and Enterprise, especially the NX class design. Or seeing a certain Vulcan's but crack. That seems to have died down over the past 15 years.

Not saying the two are comparable as Star Wars is the far more popular franchise of course but I would like to think Trek fans can be just as angry as Star Wars fans.
I got nothing to say here.