Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nobody700
Captain

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by Nobody700 »

To kinda get back on track, and I am a huge fan of Farscape (Animated scorpius is my avi almost everywhere, down to my personal email), I never quite liked Jessie's vids. They always felt peak Breadtuber to me, and I am someone who rather dislikes those kind of vids. Her takes on Discovery are also usually not mine, even close.

I will ask, for someone who does know, her opinions on Picard season 2?
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nobody700 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:58 am To kinda get back on track, and I am a huge fan of Farscape (Animated scorpius is my avi almost everywhere, down to my personal email), I never quite liked Jessie's vids. They always felt peak Breadtuber to me, and I am someone who rather dislikes those kind of vids. Her takes on Discovery are also usually not mine, even close.

She hates Picard. It's kind of like Chuck in that even their criticism is usually from a place of love but...not Picard.

Which is funny as Jessie even likes DISCO (and it speaks to her very much as a trans and queer woman) but LOATTHHHESSS Picard.

She loves Enterprise and hates Picard.
Nobody700
Captain

Post by Nobody700 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:13 am
Nobody700 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:58 am To kinda get back on track, and I am a huge fan of Farscape (Animated scorpius is my avi almost everywhere, down to my personal email), I never quite liked Jessie's vids. They always felt peak Breadtuber to me, and I am someone who rather dislikes those kind of vids. Her takes on Discovery are also usually not mine, even close.

She hates Picard. It's kind of like Chuck in that even their criticism is usually from a place of love but...not Picard.

Which is funny as Jessie even likes DISCO (and it speaks to her very much as a trans and queer woman) but LOATTHHHESSS Picard.

She loves Enterprise and hates Picard.
Ahh so she has common sense, good. May we all salute in our hatred of Picard.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

If memory serves she liked the first half or so of Season 3 but was really let down when it devolved into fanservice wank.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

CmdrKing wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 am If memory serves she liked the first half or so of Season 3 but was really let down when it devolved into fanservice wank.
Her more nuanced opinion description might be, "I felt all of Season One was setting up mysteries and payoffs [and I hate that they killed Icheb and Hugh] only for Two to completely ignore them [and be generally stupid in every way possible] then Three to become nostalgia wank."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:54 am
CmdrKing wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:59 am If memory serves she liked the first half or so of Season 3 but was really let down when it devolved into fanservice wank.
Her more nuanced opinion description might be, "I felt all of Season One was setting up mysteries and payoffs [and I hate that they killed Icheb and Hugh] only for Two to completely ignore them [and be generally stupid in every way possible] then Three to become nostalgia wank."
In other words what we all thought. The three seasons of Picard was so incredibly disconnected from each other. If it wasn't for Picard getting a golem body and some handwavism with Data, that they would even connect with each other. As a whole it's horrible. Might even be below Discovery in the long run, with having Picard and Seven being the only redeeming parts of it (with the exception of the rest of TNG making their appearances).

I mean I do enjoy Worf's intro which is exactly what it is supposed to be. I don't care. I am a Worf fanboy and I did love it all.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:09 am
In other words what we all thought. The three seasons of Picard was so incredibly disconnected from each other. If it wasn't for Picard getting a golem body and some handwavism with Data, that they would even connect with each other. As a whole it's horrible. Might even be below Discovery in the long run, with having Picard and Seven being the only redeeming parts of it (with the exception of the rest of TNG making their appearances).

I mean I do enjoy Worf's intro which is exactly what it is supposed to be. I don't care. I am a Worf fanboy and I did love it all.
I feel like Season two was terrible and ruined all the build up in Season One.

Season Three set up some interesting mysteries but by the end, all the mysteries were answered with, "And Lex Luthor teamed up with the Joker to try to kill our heroes!"
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:09 am "And Lex Luthor teamed up with the Joker to try to kill our heroes!"
When I first read this I laughed. Then I thought, "in DC isn't that called Tuesday?"

Now I am in this loop of "We ran out of ideas, use Lex/Joker MCMXXIV" For how often the setup seems to be done. I am not sure what my point here is, but one throw away line has created some early morning thought.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nealithi wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:55 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:09 am "And Lex Luthor teamed up with the Joker to try to kill our heroes!"
When I first read this I laughed. Then I thought, "in DC isn't that called Tuesday?"

Now I am in this loop of "We ran out of ideas, use Lex/Joker MCMXXIV" For how often the setup seems to be done. I am not sure what my point here is, but one throw away line has created some early morning thought.
Yeah, in this case it's, "CHANGELINGS AND THE BORG! Who can stop this evil alliance!"
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:09 amI feel like Season two was terrible and ruined all the build up in Season One.
There wasn't anything built up in Season 1 in the first place. It was self-contained and everything ended where it started, except Data being dead (for no good reason) and Picard being a robot (for even less good reasons). Not exactly a great premise in the first place, especially since the later isn't picked up on in neither Season 2 or 3 and the former gets retconned into oblivion in Season 3. At best, those "setups" were mystery-box writing (which can go fuck itself).

Season 2 is completely disconnected from anything and where Season 1 at least had some nominal SciFi-concepts going (but didn't really developed or even immersed itself into them), Season 2 just careened off into the stupid parts of Nemesis-Land and had a party (that nobody was invited to) while doing so.
CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:09 amSeason Three set up some interesting mysteries but by the end, all the mysteries were answered with, "And Lex Luthor teamed up with the Joker to try to kill our heroes!"
Season 3 takes the stupid from Season 2 and plays it straight, like Season 1 did, except injecting fan-wank galore to get back some good-will. All in all, it feels like a roleplaying session with a first time DM, which was made into a script after the fact and then continued on into being made into a fan-made movie, which somehow managed to conscript the original actors, possibly through black-mail.

The entire series is just garbage.
Last edited by Madner Kami on Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox