The Orville

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by McAvoy »

I think The Orville was branded as Family Guy version of Family Guy early on. It was certainly promoted like that. But the thing is, it steadily went away from that.

In fact the humor is not that far from Stargate SG-1 (which I am rewatchinf right now) with alot of quips being thrown in. Sure it's goes a bit further sometimes, but it's not Family Guy.

Season 2 is the better season especially with the more serious tone when the Big Baddie is revealed.
I got nothing to say here.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm I think The Orville was branded as Family Guy version of Family Guy early on. It was certainly promoted like that. But the thing is, it steadily went away from that.

In fact the humor is not that far from Stargate SG-1 (which I am rewatchinf right now) with alot of quips being thrown in. Sure it's goes a bit further sometimes, but it's not Family Guy.

Season 2 is the better season especially with the more serious tone when the Big Baddie is revealed.
Sorry, no - just no. The Humour of "The Orville" is not like SG-1 or SG-A's Humour. The jokes of "The Orville" are childish, the ones of SG-1 and SG-A are not. There is no gross-out-Humour in the Stargate-Franchise, which "The Orville" has to boot.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 pm
McAvoy wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm I think The Orville was branded as Family Guy version of Family Guy early on. It was certainly promoted like that. But the thing is, it steadily went away from that.

Sorry, no - just no. The Humour of "The Orville" is not like SG-1 or SG-A's Humour. The jokes of "The Orville" are childish, the ones of SG-1 and SG-A are not. There is no gross-out-Humour in the Stargate-Franchise, which "The Orville" has to boot.
Season 1 of the Orville has gross out humour. Season 2 is more like Stargate. Please though, give me a season 2 example of gross out humour.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

clearspira wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 pm

Season 1 of the Orville has gross out humour. Season 2 is more like Stargate. Please though, give me a season 2 example of gross out humour.
Okay, I have to admitI only saw season 1s episode 10 and 11 and decided "No, I'm not gonna bother with that pile of gross-out-garbage".
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Which is why I didn't say exactly like Stargate. Stargate's humor is quips or off hand remarks and occasional meta humor.

Offhand because its been a long time since I watched Orville, there hardly seems to be 'gross out' jokes. Yeah you got a alien literally sitting on a egg naked, which is humor but honestly it's a nice alien thing. Something different. Or when super strong security officer pukes because she got placed in charge? Yeah humor in that but it's also realistic since people do react to stress like that.

You got Syler every once in awhile getting zapped across the room where it becomes a meta joke in itself. Got an entire episode where they play parodies of other shows like Trek, Farscape or being puppets.

The point is, The Orville tries to make its humor part of the show. Alien doing alien things that is humorous. Officers making offhand comments that is supposed to be amusing. Self depreciation humor etc.

I get it humor or comedy is subjective.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:30 am

Which is why I didn't say exactly like Stargate. Stargate's humor is quips or off hand remarks and occasional meta humor.

Offhand because its been a long time since I watched Orville, there hardly seems to be 'gross out' jokes. Yeah you got a alien literally sitting on a egg naked, which is humor but honestly it's a nice alien thing. Something different. Or when super strong security officer pukes because she got placed in charge? Yeah humor in that but it's also realistic since people do react to stress like that.

You got Syler every once in awhile getting zapped across the room where it becomes a meta joke in itself. Got an entire episode where they play parodies of other shows like Trek, Farscape or being puppets.

The point is, The Orville tries to make its humor part of the show. Alien doing alien things that is humorous. Officers making offhand comments that is supposed to be amusing. Self depreciation humor etc.

I get it humor or comedy is subjective.
to be honest: The puking is exactly that, what is grossing me out. Stargate never did something like that, nor was or is a joke about vomiting absolutely necessary for the complete understanding of an episode. I have nothing against trek doing jokes - one of my favourite "trek"-Things is the german fanfilm "Raumschiff Highlander", my fanfic-character Cal is an idiot, running in the next best fist or phaser-ray, completely with passing-out-in-comedic-style-and-non-sequitur-thud and waking-up-complaining-that-he-needs-an-aspirine.

But neither Raumschiff Highlander nor my fanfic ever dealt with bodily-fluids-galore.
Because it find them pretty icky.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah they never did a puke scene for laughs. They did a hiccup scene(s) for some reason in Prometheus Bound. Even to the point she drinks out of a cup of water in a middle of a briefing with a 2 star General.

Even the stuff that sometimes O'Neill says even as a Colonel in front people who are his superior is in favor of humor over real life 'observing rank'.

Like I said humor is subjective. Not everyone will like it.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:27 am Yeah they never did a puke scene for laughs. They did a hiccup scene(s) for some reason in Prometheus Bound. Even to the point she drinks out of a cup of water in a middle of a briefing with a 2 star General.
True, Stargate didn't to a puke-scene for laughs - the Orville however did.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

If that is the only thing that prevents you from watching it, then I suggest try to rewatch it.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

McAvoy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:06 am If that is the only thing that prevents you from watching it, then I suggest try to rewatch it.
Well, if the gross-out-humour would not be so ingrained in the show, I'd do so. But it's part of that show.