Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:53 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:45 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:50 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm As I'd said before elsewhere, people nowadays come down like a bag of bricks on the 1994 crime bill, but near as I can tell, many black communities supported that at the time. So it's not the smoking gun opponents like to make it seem like. And leftists get too hung up on words like "superpredator" which having met some actual Gen X gang members who are now reformed, can be white too, you know!

The issue here isn't about the good apples, as you say. It's the hate mob coming down on police. Hate, hate, hate, nonstop seething hate. And that simply makes us versus them more ingrained and harder to fight. Mr. Witwer shouldn't be compelled to bow to pressure in defending his police friend, as I trust his word that he is honorable, and you got users like Fuzzy Necromancer still showing such disbelief toward that. More of the same "collective war criminals" rhetoric. How do you deal with a society that is being increasingly radicalized? Maybe we should stop in thinking the other side are traitors out to destroy the US. That would be a start.
People hate police because police keep attacking them. :|
They hate police because it's trendy now. There's always a legitimate reason to get upset about some new thing the human race has done.
They hate police because they or their friends were poisoned or bludgeoned or arrested by police for protesting police brutality. It's something you can see. They got video and everything.
Well there are a lot of people on either side that are just angry by proxy.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Source?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:35 am Source?
Ask either side (about the other).
..What mirror universe?
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

If the police want respect and to be trusted, they'll have to earn it after all the mess they caused.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

If good cops even EXIST, show me what they are doing, at these protests, to stop the Bad Apples. I'm not even asking you to prove that most cops are good. Just give me a video of SOME good cops, working together, to protect journalists from blinding, to protect pregnant women from being kicked down, to protect civilians exercising their first amendment rights from being bludgeoned and stepped on by horses and poisoned with tear gas.

Prove it.

This isn't even me daring you, or trying to score points. If you can show me good cops successfully stopping the bad cops at the police brutality protests, I will feel better, safer, and more hopeful.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Much longer breakdown of Fox’s coverage of the autonomous zone: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/fox-news-runs-digitally-altered-images-in-coverage-of-seattles-protests-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone/

Tl;dr Fox is photoshopping in the same gunman and using unrelated images from protests to villify them.
S h o c k
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

60,000 people. Want to see what that looks like? Ever wonder if you're alone, if you're the only person who cares?

60,000. Seattle. The "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville was 4,000.

No windows were broken, no violence was done. 60,000 people.

You think we don't have the numbers to make things change? Take a look. Change is here.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

As I'd said, there's over a thousand new things every day to get outraged about if you go looking for it.

Let me ask this. Even if you get police reform, what then? Even if you begin working on issues with the electorate and voting process, what then? Even if you get immigrant reform, what then? I think most underestimate how fragile it all is. Life, the machine we've built, and what it is, and where we're going. And if it's not some new issue now, it will be in a hundred, a thousand years.
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:54 am 60,000 people. Want to see what that looks like? Ever wonder if you're alone, if you're the only person who cares?

60,000. Seattle. The "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville was 4,000.

No windows were broken, no violence was done. 60,000 people.

You think we don't have the numbers to make things change? Take a look. Change is here.
Plz ignore damage done to police station, police cars, windows, graffiti, and burning dumpsters in the preceding days
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 pm As I'd said, there's over a thousand new things every day to get outraged about if you go looking for it.

Let me ask this. Even if you get police reform, what then? Even if you begin working on issues with the electorate and voting process, what then? Even if you get immigrant reform, what then? I think most underestimate how fragile it all is. Life, the machine we've built, and what it is, and where we're going. And if it's not some new issue now, it will be in a hundred, a thousand years.
Then things get a little better for some people, here and now. Maybe in a hundred million years none of it will matter, but for a few hundred thousand people in our city, for the next fifty years? Yeah, it matters. And if it doesn't matter either way, why not help out? Do you feel good if you make other people's lives better?

And if you really don't give a shit either way, why the hell do you have like 50 comments defending the police in this thread?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform