Your Headcanons?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Your Headcanons?

Post by Yukaphile »

My new headcanon is the Clone Wars, in the Legends continuity, was the Jedi Council's way of making up for the Mandalorian Wars. They saw how badly that conflict split the order, and that despite history vindicating them with the revelation the Sith Empire had manipulated the Mandalorian Wars and Revan, that millennia of reflection and philosophical discussion got them to finally see if they had not intervened, the Republic body would have been obliterated, thus very possibly threatening the Jedi Order itself, if not outright outlawing the Jedi altogether as the new legitimate galactic government. So they decided to try and take a better approach and have it both ways - secretly investigate behind the scenes to expose the dark forces working to undermine them, but also work alongside the Republican military to fight the Separatist droid army.

Which leads to my next headcanon. Sidious was also a learned student of history, and in his chessmaster gambit, knew one of the problems the Jedi had had with challenging the Mandalorians openly was the debate that their role was one of peacekeeper, not warriors, especially when it comes to the mass killing of other living beings, so in uniting the Separatists together, he was giving the Jedi irresistible bait - enemies they didn't see as sapient beings and wouldn't hesitate to slice down without another thought in the world. This is stated in the Revenge of the Sith novel, I'm just adding more layers to it.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

MissKittyFantastico wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:12 am This is another one of my joke!canon things, but whatever. This one came to me after rewatching eps 3 and 4 of Disco with friends last weekend, specifically the end where Pike says it'll take Federation scientists centuries to go through all the data they gathered, and how Starfleet Science must be getting quite a backlog given how often they get immense troves of data that'll take centuries to go through. (Like, do you think sometime mid-TNG there was some researcher who found the file saying "Okay so there's this probe headed for Earth, looks like a big black tube with a volleyball at one end, it wants to talk to whales," and she just sighs and throws it in the 'would've been nice to know earlier' bin?)

But I imagined a scene in the future sometime - further future, that is - where we're in a super-tech office that's obviously generations more advanced than anything we've seen, but it's recognisable as a Starfleet environment, and amid the gleaming countergrav towers out the window you can see the Golden Gate Bridge, and from the back we see this one lieutenant in a future-Starfleet uniform with his feet up on the desk playing some fancy holographic version of solitaire while his omni-console is working on 'Secrets of the Universe, processing started 23rd/24th Century', and the progress bar finally ticks over from 99.99999999% to 100%. He's startled, he drops the game, stares at the screen which is just showing a beautiful pattern of light, whispers "Oh, I see..." - and we pan around him and (thanks to that age-reducing FX everyone's using nowadays) it's a mid-20s John de Lancie.
:lol: Both of those are great.
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

Ooh, just had another one.

Federation prison colony, sometime after 2373. Arne Darvin is sitting on his bunk, morosely explaining to his new cellmate all about how he used to be a Klingon, he was going to be a Hero of the Empire, but it all went wrong, then he had this one chance to set it all right with the Bajoran Orb of Time, and he would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling Niners. The old man sharing the cell with him looks up through his scraggly hair and beard, and says "Tell me about this Orb."

DS9, Sisko and co. are just back from blowing up a Dominion shipyard or getting a runabout shrunk or whatever happened that week, when Dulmer and Lucsly turn up (on time as always) to tell them the Orb of Time has been stolen, and they believe the thief intends to go back to the 23rd Century to change the course of Klingon history, and since they've handled matters like this before DTI wants Sisko to take the Defiant back in time (using any of the dozen time travel methods Starfleet's discovered) and stop him. The senior staff are like "Seriously, Darvin again?" and Dulmer puts a PADD on the ops desk and says "No, this man. Ash Tyler."

"That's..."
"The Discovery."

"Those are Klingons?"

"Did that crewman just refer to Section 31 like common knowledge?"
"Don't you know anything about this time period?"

"He's so much more handsome in person. Those eyes!"
"Pike had quite the reputation as a ladies' man."
"Not him. Saru."
"...Let's go."

"For all we know we could be living in an alternate timeline! Again!"
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I've said it before, I'll say it again. STD works better as a Kelvin Timeline show, not a Prime Timeline show, and if they're gonna morph it to try and fit to the parameters of the Prime Timeline, then that's even worse, because it's like starting out TNG as a Star Wars prequel, then shifting it into a Trek sequel. The two do not fit together. They should keep it as a Kelvin Timeline show, because if it's going to be a Prime Timeline show only after a certain point, then that doesn't justify the weak intro, because this is not like other weak intros for Trek. This is a weak intro that's morphing into something for a whole other universe. Another sign the current crop of writers just do NOT understand Trekkies at ALL.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MissKittyFantastico
Officer

Post by MissKittyFantastico »

In the sense that it's an idea you apparently like, but doesn't need to have any bearing on anyone else's reading of canon if they don't want it to, sure, that's Headcanon too.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:13 am I've said it before, I'll say it again. STD works better as a Kelvin Timeline show, not a Prime Timeline show
TBH at this point they've borrowed from both heavily enough in haphazard ways that neither is a perfect fit. But hey, headcanon it however you want. I'm just interested in how you'd make it fit either universe without breaking off parts.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Headcanon.

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Have there been something that contradict something else, or is poorly explain in the headcanon.

Two, I have one is that the Master drums thing was something the timelord did to him after they revive him and use it to alter his memories so that why it wasn't mentioned before the new series.

Another is that the symbol on the Stargates came first and we base the star constellations off of them.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: Headcanon.

Post by Karha of Honor »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:25 am Have there been something that contradict something else, or is poorly explain in the headcanon.

Two, I have one is that the Master drums thing was something the timelord did to him after they revive him and use it to alter his memories so that why it wasn't mentioned before the new series.

Another is that the symbol on the Stargates came first and we base the star constellations off of them.
The Darksaber and co was supposed to come out all at once as shock and awe for the galaxy in the old EU.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Batman

1. The Joker made up the Killing Joke to torment Batman with the thought he "made him"

2. Bruce Wayne's couple of dunks in the Lazarus Pit is why he is capable of continuing on his crusade despite years of beatings and injuries.

3. Alfred Pennyworth was made legal guardian of Bruce by his parents' will due to their distrust of their families.

4. Dick Grayson only debuted as Robin after three years of training when sixteen. Even then a lot of superheroes had issues with it. Bruce also hoped Dick would quit after exposure.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:47 pm Batman

1. The Joker made up the Killing Joke to torment Batman with the thought he "made him"
I don't think he ever says that to Batman in the comic though. The audience is shown it (it could be the Joker either remembering it in flashbacks or simply imagining it, as he implies later) but when the Joker is actually speaking to Batman he keeps everything kind of vague.

He never actually comes out and accuses Batman of creating him, at least not in that story. His dialogue throughout- at least in the present-day scenes- is more absurdist commentary on the insanity of the world and the fragility of the human mind.