How Would You Fix Neelix?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: How Would You Fix Neelix?

Post by Nealithi »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:15 am

I love Steve Buscemi, he is accomplished...

Witht that said he will never play a badass grzzled war vet or Viking warrior leader in an action movie.
Just a thought on that. Steve Buscemi is/was a fire fighter before actor and went back to his unit during 9/11. Then went to do a role I was not expecting of him as a mob boss. Badass grizzled war vet is quite possible. Viking warrior leader, maybe. But I think you may have been looking for body type roles and not talent.
Mindworm
Officer

Post by Mindworm »

Winter wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:24 am So given how awful a character Neelix is what could be done to make him, at the very least, tolerable and at best, likeable? Personally I would have made him a much more minor character, given him a better design, and make him more like Griffin the Chef from Doctor Who's Enemy of the world.

Sure we have the Doctor who is himself is a wonderful ball of Snark but having a minor character who cooks in the mess hall who is the ultimate pessimist show up here and there would be a great addition to the Ensemble. Then, if he's proven popular enough, Then give him more to do in the story. Have him be like Garak from DS9, where you learn very little about him but imply that he is some sort of former solider or spy, but unlike Garak who is very polite and does what he can to be friendly My version of Neelix is a cantankerous old bastard who only puts up with anyone because he has to.

Also I just want to see this version of Griffin's famous line in Trek. :lol:

First course interrupted by warp core explosion. Second course affected by demolition shifts. Third course ruined by interference in the kitchen. I'm going to the holodeck, It'll Probably Malfunction!
Soulless minion of orthodoxy.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Nealithi wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 am

Witht that said he will never play a badass grzzled war vet or Viking warrior leader in an action movie.
Just a thought on that. Steve Buscemi is/was a fire fighter before actor and went back to his unit during 9/11. Then went to do a role I was not expecting of him as a mob boss. Badass grizzled war vet is quite possible. Viking warrior leader, maybe. But I think you may have been looking for body type roles and not talent.
I am looking for aura.

All fire fighters look like they could lead an army or a commando unit in a movie?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Slash Gallagher wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm
Nealithi wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 am

I am looking for aura.

All fire fighters look like they could lead an army or a commando unit in a movie?
That depends. Is it a movie about a real person or G.I. Joe? Because George C. Scott does not look like the kind of person to do those things but he pulled off Patton. But modern movies seem to want Dwayne Johnson because only muscular men can inspire. . . According to movies.
IRL I would follow the man with the plan. And that might be the body builder or the physical mouse. You will know when they take charge. Buscemi has had enough roles and been from smart to ridiculous. Scary to friendly that I think he could come off as the man to get the job done. And yes he does look like some one that could have eagles on his shoulders.