Trump Departs Washington

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Trump Departs Washington

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Yeah, he's spent almost his entire life paying off old debt with new debt, and now he's cut off from his emoluments-violating money-making schemes.

What we really need to do is use this time to shore up the cracks in democracy. Punish the guilty who aided this to show there are consequences even for Republican senators, codify all these things we thought were laws that were little more than gentlemen's agreements, and put some teeth into things that we aren't enforcing properly.

If 45 had been 23% less incompetent, we'd already be utterly boned.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Yes, plus if he wasn't such a narcissist's we be screw.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Trump is bad, though I have disagreed with some of the hyperbole before (like calling him our worst president, that's only for ratings-hungry cable sensationalists), but at the same time, I'm hesitant to diagnose him from a distance, since it just perpetuates half-truths and unfounded assumptions. When Mr. Goldwater was diagnosed from a distance, he sued. I would say Mr. Trump would be well within his rights if he did so, and TBH, I'd want him to win that court case. Sure, we can google and like to act more informed than we really are, but we're also not professionals and even the experts can make mistakes. Journalism was never real, but in the internet age, it's just deader than ever.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 am I'm hesitant to diagnose him from a distance, since it just perpetuates half-truths and unfounded assumptions. When Mr. Goldwater was diagnosed from a distance, he sued. I would say Mr. Trump would be well within his rights if he did so
You confuse calling someone a narcissist and saying someone has narcissistic personality disorder. If I understand correctly, this magazine polled a thousand psychologists, asking if they thought Goldwater was psychologically fit to be president. The APA protested that the magazine was presenting these polls as if they were professional opinions, even though these findings can normally only be determined through a clinical examination. That was the factor that elevated things to Actual Malice.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

*sings Ding Dong the Witch is dead*
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

That was on my inauguration playlist.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

There a comedy that did a bunch of song that title taunt trump, like I can't stop feeling good, since you left on a jet plane, never forget, lost, Georgia.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:05 pm I am more worry about the next person, because the next person will be smarter, younger and know when to keep his mouth shut. Plus he not going to be rich for long.
I disagree, while they will have to be younger, being smarter and knowing when to shut up are detrimental to winning Trump's base.
Captain Crimson wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 am (like calling him our worst president, that's only for ratings-hungry cable sensationalists)
There are exactly two presidents in the 222 years of the presidency that are possibly worse than Trump, Andrew Jackson, and James Buchanan, and after the events of 1/6 I think he edges out both of them by being the first president to engage in a coup d'etat against the United States.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Think about it when an actually disaster happen Trump had no idea what to do, other than pretend it would just go away on it own is probably what cost him the election. If the next despot know how to deal with something like that even a little he could win.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:56 pm There are exactly two presidents in the 222 years of the presidency that are possibly worse than Trump, Andrew Jackson, and James Buchanan, and after the events of 1/6 I think he edges out both of them by being the first president to engage in a coup d'etat against the United States.
I don't think it's fair to compare a modern president, with planes, telephones and a career civil service to a mid-19th century president with horses and a civil service appointed by patronage.

I think James Buchanan gets a raw deal. He's by no means the best president evar, but if you swapped around the four pre-civil war presidents around in any order, I'm pretty sure you'd get the same results.

Indian Removal was an awful tragedy; I'm still unsure whether a president other than Jackson would do much differently, or if it would end up going that way over the long term. At the very least, Jackson was reasonably successful at what he set out to do.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu