The Shadow's Journey

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
rickgriffin
Officer

Re: The Shadow's Journey

Post by rickgriffin »

Honestly I can't think of a single thing that the prequels alone influenced in cinema beyond 1) being shot digitally and 2) greenscreening all the action to death. Meanwhile, I could point to dozens of films that have their root in the Matrix, for all the good and bad that did.

I mean look at Zack Snyder and tell me he didn't lift his pontificating morality from The Matrix.
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

The Matrix pretty much redefined how action movies are shot, filmed, choreographed, and hell written 'IE alot of them trying to be pretentiously deep when they are throwing symbolism and hoping it makes their argument'

Name one thing AOTS redefined that all movies after it tried to copy. Going no X is dated is stupid cause EVERYTHING is dated eventually
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I don't see anything in AotC that hasn't been in action movies forever (nothing good, anyway). Not unless you're talking about specific technology I guess. There isn't even that much action- the droid factory sequence was added in reshoots because of the slow pace. Most of the action is pretty good (outside the final duel, which pales in comparison to the one in TPM), but most of it is in the same vein as earlier Star Wars, Indiana Jones-style hijinks, or other war/space fantasy movies.

Another thing that's easy to forget is that filmmakers are often fans like the rest of us, and I don't see AotC getting a lot of love. Same with The Matrix sequels.

I'll join the chorus in saying that I'm really looking forward to Chuck's chronicling of the lead-up to and execution of the prequels.
The owls are not what they seem.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

He only has to answer for giving my life meaning.
Call me KuudereKun
Flyin_Bryan
Redshirt

Post by Flyin_Bryan »

I'm doing this series because I found it fascinating to look at everything that happened from the creation of Lucasfilm to Disney tossing away his sequel trilogy plans, that the life of George Lucas reflects his creation in some ways, and to see this juxtaposition of quirks, his flaws and fixations alongside his creativity and decency. To just see it all lying there, stretched out from end to end and ask, what does this all mean? What is it about, if your life is all about making a company to create film, but having your life be defined by your company?

The Shadow's Journey is about these early years of success, when Lucas was dazzled by what he had in his hands and fell into the temptation of exploring it while ignoring the collateral effect it was having. It covers the Empire Strikes Back-Return of the Jedi years, and the argument that could be made that his own pride and need for control are responsible for the disasters that happen. This covers six years. The next covers more than thirty; there's not as much drama once you've made some mistakes and learned from them.
Loving this series! I'm curious, why did you choose to start the series where you did, rather than say at the beginning of production on A New Hope? Was it because LucasFilm and ILM weren't created until after ANH? Usually you do an intro video that talks about why you're doing a project like this, what the scope of the project is, etc. I really like those because it helps me kind of understand where we're going. This series definitely makes me have more sympathy for Lucas, especially part 6! He really is a tragic character!
rickgriffin
Officer

Post by rickgriffin »

Flyin_Bryan wrote:
I'm doing this series because I found it fascinating to look at everything that happened from the creation of Lucasfilm to Disney tossing away his sequel trilogy plans, that the life of George Lucas reflects his creation in some ways, and to see this juxtaposition of quirks, his flaws and fixations alongside his creativity and decency. To just see it all lying there, stretched out from end to end and ask, what does this all mean? What is it about, if your life is all about making a company to create film, but having your life be defined by your company?

The Shadow's Journey is about these early years of success, when Lucas was dazzled by what he had in his hands and fell into the temptation of exploring it while ignoring the collateral effect it was having. It covers the Empire Strikes Back-Return of the Jedi years, and the argument that could be made that his own pride and need for control are responsible for the disasters that happen. This covers six years. The next covers more than thirty; there's not as much drama once you've made some mistakes and learned from them.
Loving this series! I'm curious, why did you choose to start the series where you did, rather than say at the beginning of production on A New Hope? Was it because LucasFilm and ILM weren't created until after ANH? Usually you do an intro video that talks about why you're doing a project like this, what the scope of the project is, etc. I really like those because it helps me kind of understand where we're going. This series definitely makes me have more sympathy for Lucas, especially part 6! He really is a tragic character!
He already did that. Hero's Journey series: http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/herosjourney.php
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

FakeGeekGirl wrote:I love when he talks about the production history of a work. That could be really dry and boring but instead it is usually at least as interesting as the review itself. So something like this that's just production history is right up my alley.
I think what makes Chuck's series, is his delivery. He earnestly discusses what goes on, does good research, and emphasizes the human element.

Note how I didn't say 'adds' - in his research, he seeks out the humanity of the creation of these works, because that's what ultimately matters. It's not lightsabers, or the Force, or how you build a Hyperdrive that matter; it's not the sci-fi that's important. That's just the end result.

The Shadow's Journey series is effective, because Chuck is telling a tale of fallible humans, and how one failed most of all.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Flyin_Bryan wrote:

The Shadows Journey series is the second chapter of a three part series. The Hero's Journey series is the one you are looking for. It's one of the best documentaries on the making of the original Star Wars that I have ever seen. Hero's Journey are beyond good. They should be picked up and broadcast by a major network.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Star Wars isn't SciFi so of course it's not the SciFi that matters.
Call me KuudereKun
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:Star Wars isn't SciFi so of course it's not the SciFi that matters.
It's Space Opera, which is a subsection of Science Fiction. Some might argue it is Science Fantasy, but again, a subsection of Science Fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera