Franchise woes?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Franchise woes?

Post by clearspira »

Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:58 am And like Freeza has different forms. I no longer recall what his final form was because he was less a character and more of a force of nature.
Can I point how how ridiculous it is that ''final form'' is what we refer to him as, even though technically his first form is his final form because they work backwards. Everyone seems to forget that even the writers.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:10 am I only found out about it in 2008, when I caught glimpses on TV, and went online to find it on Megaupload. Hey, this is SERIOUSLY OFF TOPIC. Madner Kami, can you please answer my question? Which timeskip were you referring to?
Can I just say congrats, you are our first overlord. I didn't even realise there was a comment level beyond captain.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Somebody noted that a while ago. :)
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

BOW BEFORE ME, PEONS! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! :P
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

clearspira wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:00 am
Makeshift Python wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:58 am And like Freeza has different forms. I no longer recall what his final form was because he was less a character and more of a force of nature.
Can I point how how ridiculous it is that ''final form'' is what we refer to him as, even though technically his first form is his final form because they work backwards. Everyone seems to forget that even the writers.
I’m sure it helped sell toys. Why have one version of a villain when you can have five?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Let's get back to topic... this is NOT the Dragon Ball Thread and it was simply as a response to Madner Kami asserting he didn't like "Dragon Ball" after the timeskip, but because he hails from a different country than me, I'm not sure what he meant.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:22 am this is NOT the Dragon Ball Thread
You could have fooled me!
CmdrKing wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:59 pm What kills me with Fantastic Beasts is they took two or possibly even three perfectly good Wizarding story ideas that could have been great if they'd each been given their own movies and room to breathe and instead destroyed all of them by stitching them into a single series.

Separate the Credence plotline and the surrounding "roaring twenties American wizards" vibe into a couple movies.

Do a one-shot about the actual Fantastic Beasts and Newt concept, just a fluffy comedy or something.

Trying make the main characters of the Grindewald plot into the heroes of those other, "belong in a TOTALLY different genre" movies means constantly shoehorning in these unrelated elements instead of, y'know, being about the corrosive effect Grindewald and his Wizard-Supremacy is having on them, and how Dumbledore is trying to cope with all of that.

Like, I know it's trendy to hate on the MCU, but y'know why they've had like an 80% "at least pretty good" success rate over two dozen movies? Because most of them were allowed to just be their own genre, as appropriate to the headlining hero, with the superhero bits tweaked to fit the tone of that genre.
Yes, to all of that. I feel the same way.
Elderdog wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:39 pm I was referring to the new video games and the Hobbit movies. Truthfully, I have nothing against Tolkien's work and I loved New Line Cinema's first film trilogy, I just think that the franchise has been mismanaged recently.
Oh, I don't play those, they're obviously bad fanfic written by people with no care for the world Tolkien created (or worse, the arrogance to think I want to play their incompatible "vision" painted across it). Thankfully, none of that matters, so I can safely ignore it. I really wonder how they manage to get away with even making them, when I think about the considerable amount of scrutiny games like Lord of the Rings Online is under by the Company to make sure they don't stray and remain faithful.

As for the Hobbit movies... yeah, they're... something alright. Jackson's excesses thwart his otherwise loving tributes to the novel. I definitely think his heart wasn't in it by the time they made those, or at least not up to the task of serving both masters (the novel and the Studio).

Fortunately Professor Tom Shippey is working closely with Amazon on their new series, and the word is they are being kept strictly to the source material. I'm hoping it goes much better.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Deledrius you might want to watch Lindsay Ellis' video series about The Hobbit trilogy because Elderdog is correct. New Line Cinema wanted to make those just like LotR trilogy instead of faithful adaption of book.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Mecha82 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 pm Deledrius you might want to watch Lindsay Ellis' video series about The Hobbit trilogy because Elderdog is correct. New Line Cinema wanted to make those just like LotR trilogy instead of faithful adaption of book.
That was a great series of videos. I highly recommend them to anyone interested in the crazy journey those movies took.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Eh, the only franchise completely ruined for me was Warehouse 13 and that was from massive executive meddling in the final season.