Miniseries: The Colour of Magic

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Miniseries: The Colour of Magic

Post by hammerofglass »

How would you (yes you) have continued the Discworld series? The problem as I see it is that all of the running sub-series are resolved. Everybody has finished their personal story arcs and is right where they want to be. It honestly seemed like the story was all wrapped up in "I Will Wear Midnight" to me.

You could start following new characters in a new location, but at that point why tie yourself to the Discworld continuity at all?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Cheerilee wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:20 am And by my reading, "The Shepherd's Crown" was one giant letter to Rhianna, asking her to do it. It basically tackled such arguments head-on, saying that it's not supposed to stay the same, and that nothing has to end, not when you have a new generation able to pick up your torch and carry it forward. Sure, she's going to stumble and fall, but Terry himself did that more times than he can count, and he's 100% confident that he's not only given Rhianna everything she needs to continue the story, but that she can elevate it to new heights.

But, Terry was probably asking too much of his daughter. And leaving the Discworld to her, with 100% confidence in her decisions, means that by definition you have to be okay with her decision to end the Discworld.
Given the actual quality of The Shepherd's Crown (that is to say, terrible), it's entirely possible she might have been willing to give it a try, but decided that enough was enough. And, honestly, I can't fault her for it.

Discworld was unlike Jordan's Wheel of Time, which had a massive story arc that needed to be resolved. Tiffany would succeed Granny as the head witch who of course is not actually the leader because witches are all just friends and equals who don't have or need any leaders. The Watch has long-since been not only restored, but built to something greater than it had ever been, with multiple officers capable of leading should Vimes ever retire. Susan has found a kindred spirit in Lobsang; whether their romance works out or not, she is no longer completely alone amongst the mortals. In Moist, we even have an apparent successor to Vetinari - someone both good enough to want to see the new Ankh-Morporkh thrive, but also ruthless enough to ensure it happens. Rincewind has found a comfortable position as Librarian's Assistant, where he can be bored in peace. There is peace between the dwarves and trolls, and even within Uberwald. A new age has begun, and we were lucky enough to see how it started.

A final farewell to our beloved characters is a nice idea, but also completely unnecessary. I walked away from I Shall Wear Midnight perfectly satisfied with the Discworld. I've never cataloged individual titles, but I'd estimate we have about a dozen genuinely great novels, and another 15 or so really, really good ones in the series. I can't be anything but happy with what we got.

In my head, Carrot and Angua got married at Copperhead/Lancre, with the Witches and Verrence in attendance along with dignitaries from around the continent. Things were not perfect, because they never are, but the multi-ethnic honor guard led by Sgt. Detritus gave everyone a glimpse what the future of the Discworld could be.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

I was disappointed in Raising Steam and I found Snuff to be, well, OK. Neither one had the writing that pulled me into Discworld.

When Discworld ended, I was OK with it ending. I'm not throwing shade at the ghostwriter(s) involved, if any, but I haven't run into any other authors who really remind me of Pratchett. There are other clever writers out there, and other funny writers, but I haven't run into anybody who can pull of that combination of humor, memorable characters, and smart stories to the degree Pratchett could.
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Post by Cheerilee »

mathewgsmith wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:33 pm How would you (yes you) have continued the Discworld series? The problem as I see it is that all of the running sub-series are resolved. Everybody has finished their personal story arcs and is right where they want to be. It honestly seemed like the story was all wrapped up in "I Will Wear Midnight" to me.

You could start following new characters in a new location, but at that point why tie yourself to the Discworld continuity at all?
My opinion really doesn't matter, and I'm not a writer, but yeah, a new character seems like the best idea. A new location isn't really needed, like, you could write a story about a random shopkeeper in Ankh-Morpork, and it wouldn't necessarily have to intersect with Vetinari, or Moist von Lipwig, or the Night Watch or anyone really (although they could make cameo appearances).

As to why set the story in the Discworld, it would be because Terry asked Rhianna to do it, presumably because he wanted the Discworld to live, to continue to grow, and change, and evolve. One could ask why Terry bothered to keep coming back to his Discworld, when he could have started more new worlds.

Of course, if Terry really wanted Rhianna to take over the writing of Discworld, maybe he should have eased her into it by getting her to write a couple of books while he was still alive, rather than dropping the responsibility on her all at once after he's gone.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Independent George wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:52 pm In my head, Carrot and Angua got married at Copperhead/Lancre, with the Witches and Verrence in attendance along with dignitaries from around the continent. Things were not perfect, because they never are, but the multi-ethnic honor guard led by Sgt. Detritus gave everyone a glimpse what the future of the Discworld could be.
Aw. I'm gonna steal that for my own headcanon now.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

It's hard, because sometimes other writers can add to an author's legacy and grow the world well, and sometimes they just tarnish it.

Hitchiker's Guide eventually got a sixth book, and while you can say that the ending of the fifth book demanded something to give it a happier endings, and Adams had planned on it, For ANother THign was just a weak shadow that tried too hard to immitate old bits and didn't really add all that much.

Then you have something like COnan the Barbarian which has had movies and comics and cartoon shows that all get different aspect of the character, but don't really *add* anything. Conan has never really been made richer by those that have added onto it. Aside from maybe the Marvel Comics run with Roy Thomas writing it, as he was totally respectful to and incorporated and built on the old material and he had a long, long stint in which to do so. As a result his decade on the title might be one of the more definitive places to go to for an ongoing Conan narrative, especially given the expansion he did on Conan's love life, but it didn't truly reshape or expand the wold, just embellished it. He DID end up creating Red Sonja and she's had a lasting impact, but her stories fall in the exact same genre and ilk as Conan's.

Brandon Sanderson coming in to finish Wheel of Time was for the best, because he was actually able to make it stronger by actually getting to the point and giving it a satisfactory end, but he was going heavily off existing notes and just trying to wrap up the story that was already 12/13 of the way there, and has no plans to do any more.

Then you have something like Zelazny's Amber chronicles which other writers would be thrilled to take a crack at but he insisted that not happen, so it won't.

But then sometimes you get something like Don Rosa working on Scrooge McDuck following up and solidifying what Carl Barks did... where again he shaped and consolodated and streamlined the world into something more cohesive, and his rampant love of Bark's work was clear. He did good stuff and honored the work but at the same time... didn't add much new.

Pern and Dune were no good after they were handed off to the kids.

So its a mixed bag, and while its certainly possible to get later authors that understand and respect the material enough to present it in a fathful and solid manner, its rare that they can actually grow and shape the world in truly interesting ways that actually warrant the continuing. I fguess the dfifference boils down to if you're resolving a cliffhanger, or just presenting the old thing in new way for a new audience.
Shuboy07
Officer

Post by Shuboy07 »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:48 pm Then you have something like COnan the Barbarian which has had movies and comics and cartoon shows that all get different aspect of the character, but don't really *add* anything. Conan has never really been made richer by those that have added onto it. Aside from maybe the Marvel Comics run with Roy Thomas writing it, as he was totally respectful to and incorporated and built on the old material and he had a long, long stint in which to do so. As a result his decade on the title might be one of the more definitive places to go to for an ongoing Conan narrative, especially given the expansion he did on Conan's love life, but it didn't truly reshape or expand the wold, just embellished it. He DID end up creating Red Sonja and she's had a lasting impact, but her stories fall in the exact same genre and ilk as Conan's.

But then sometimes you get something like Don Rosa working on Scrooge McDuck following up and solidifying what Carl Barks did... where again he shaped and consolodated and streamlined the world into something more cohesive, and his rampant love of Bark's work was clear. He did good stuff and honored the work but at the same time... didn't add much new.
When you mentioned Roy Thomas' work on Conan, I was planning on replying that Don Rosa did the exact same thing with Scrooge McDuck and then I kept reading. The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck might easily be Don Rosa's best work just for how those stories wove around the Barks stories. But I think I will agree they didn't add anything new to the character.
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Admittedly I haven't read Shepard's Crown, but do we have any evidence that Sir Terry wanted his daughter to continue writing novels in the Discworld canon? Or is it all inference? Last I heard was that Rhianna Pratchett was to be the caretaker of the series, but that this meant being consulted for adaptations and such, not writing new books.
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Post by Cheerilee »

TheStarWarsTrek wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:21 am Admittedly I haven't read Shepard's Crown, but do we have any evidence that Sir Terry wanted his daughter to continue writing novels in the Discworld canon? Or is it all inference? Last I heard was that Rhianna Pratchett was to be the caretaker of the series, but that this meant being consulted for adaptations and such, not writing new books.
According to Wikipedia...
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2012/11/terry-pratchett-my-daughter-rhianna-will-take-over-discworld-when-im-gone
[Rhianna] will be a co-writer on the BBC Discworld series The Watch,

The Watch will continue the well-loved City Watch saga where the books left off, and Rhianna will be an important member of the writing team. The author tells me that he will be happy for her to continue writing the Discworld books when he is no longer able to do so. "The Discworld is safe in my daughter's hands," Pratchett assures me.
And then after Terry died...
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/terry-pratchett-discworld-series-comes-to-an-end-as-daughter-rhianna-rules-out-future-books-10312426.html
confirmation came today that there will be no more Discworld novels after The Shepherd's Crown.

When acclaimed author Pratchett died in March aged 66 after suffering from Alzheimer's, fans of his fantasy series speculated that his daughter Rhianna, a video game writer, may take up the baton and pen some herself.

But earlier this month, Rhianna said that she will not be writing any Discworld books or giving "anyone else permission to do so".

Larry Finlay, managing director of Pratchett's publisher Transworld, told The Bookseller that the writer's legacy will be "preserved and curated...according to his family's wishes".
It's not absolute, but it seems as if Terry wanted Rhianna to write more books, but after Terry died, Rhianna finally put her foot down about where she draws the line.

And, maybe it was all in my head, but The Shepherd's Crown looked a lot to me like Terry's last attempt to get Rhianna to change her mind on the issue.

Maybe if Rhianna writes a book about a shopkeeper in Ankh-Morpork, it can be about fathers who ask too much of their children with regards to carrying on their family business.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

See, that's not how I understand it at all. Terry willed that all of his materials be destroyed via steam roller so that no one can ever continue his work. Surely if he wanted Rhianna to continue it he wouldn't have done that(?)