Voyager - Favorite Son

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Scififan
Officer

Re: Voyager - Favorite Son

Post by Scififan »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:28 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:03 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:53 pm It is so sad what happened to Gil Gerad after that show.
Our worst enemies are nearly always ourselves sadly.
So true. And that eating disorders are even now treated almost as a joke, a sordid punchline; even moreso for men, and especially in the 1980s too.
I'm sorry what happened to Gil Gerard?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Scififan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 pm
CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:53 pm It is so sad what happened to Gil Gerad after that show.
So true. And that eating disorders are even now treated almost as a joke, a sordid punchline; even moreso for men, and especially in the 1980s too.
Serious obesity that led to type-2 diabetes and a heart bypass is the short version. I don't know if you ever get ''better'' from such things but apparently he has improved immensely nowadays.
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

So I meant to ask about this one, so does the sexualized female dominated (almost female only) society in this episode represent a return to the Rodenberry vision of Star Trek and then I read all that discussion in the Duet thread. This does feel like a TOS or early TNG early sexually permissive planet of the aliens with an odd social structure.

I remembered that this episode exist and I think I saw it years back but it left no real impression. I don't remember thinking it was particularly bad, but it was certainly without much to redeem it.

So did Chuck repost this or was it new (and he had done like short version previous?)?
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Scififan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 pm
He developed Depression and Compulsive Eating Disorder, he yo-yo dieted, unable to control his weight, which led to a vicious cycle of depression and CED, and ended up with serious health problems as a result. Because there was [and still is] little support for CED, especially for men, he was unable to access the help and resources he needed, and he self medicated with alcohol and drugs like cocaine too.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:14 am https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/

So as a bit of a coincidence this weeks episode of Delta Flyers (which is the podcast run by Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil) is talking about this episode and they found it sexist and uncomfortable to watch. They also thought that a lot of the dialogue made no sense, there were plot holes and the props were lame.
They don't say it because they actually try to be very nice about every single episode, but you could tell that they were not impressed with it.

Edit: Somehow I missed the end of it where Wang says that he thinks its the worst Harry-centric episode of the lot and McNeil gives it a 4 out of 10 - which for reference is LESS than he gave ''Threshold''. So yeah, they thought it was crap. Not sure that I agree its worse than ''Threshold'' but there you go.
Garrett didn't seem to have as much of a problem with the subject matter it was Robert who really found it cringy. Garrett just thought it was important that he as an asian man got to be sexualized.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

drewder wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:22 pm
clearspira wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:14 am https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/

So as a bit of a coincidence this weeks episode of Delta Flyers (which is the podcast run by Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeil) is talking about this episode and they found it sexist and uncomfortable to watch. They also thought that a lot of the dialogue made no sense, there were plot holes and the props were lame.
They don't say it because they actually try to be very nice about every single episode, but you could tell that they were not impressed with it.

Edit: Somehow I missed the end of it where Wang says that he thinks its the worst Harry-centric episode of the lot and McNeil gives it a 4 out of 10 - which for reference is LESS than he gave ''Threshold''. So yeah, they thought it was crap. Not sure that I agree its worse than ''Threshold'' but there you go.
Garrett didn't seem to have as much of a problem with the subject matter it was Robert who really found it cringy. Garrett just thought it was important that he as an asian man got to be sexualized.
Having now listened to the podcast, I have to say that while I understand Garrett’s point of view, I think this was a lousy episode for it. Aside from being over the top, Harry was more of a victim than anything else. How is that good representation?

Then again, I think it’s fair to say that Garrett is grasping for anything here. The best Harry gets is Libby, which we don’t really see, or “The Disease,” where he gets a weird love STD connection?

I think every other main character in the history of Star Trek has a better sex life.
Last edited by Meushell on Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Meushell wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:59 pm Then again, I think it’s fair to say that Garrett is grasping for anything here. The best Harry gets is Libby, which we don’t really see, or “The Disease,” where he gets a weird love STD connection?
There was also the Seven of Nine thing. Though outside of her being up for it once and a dream sequence it was rather one sided despite what some might claim to be otherwise which alas included me when I was much younger. When I first got into the whole internet fandom thing, along with spending far too much time talking about Decipher's card game, I was, sigh... a K/7 shipper. Not only that, it was the first ever ship I engaged in. Accentuating the positive it was at least a step up from being a D/7'er who had a whole bunch of rather messed up broken bird, and no one can fix her but me, also that entitles me to her body fanfics. Then the K/7 fics weren't much better in retrospect.

Thankfully I reasonably quickly wised up, matured somewhat, and got on board the far superior T/7 turbolift.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

In the early days of season 4 I would say that Seven had more chemistry with Kim than anyone else on the ship. He was the only one actively trying to be her friend. True it was because he wanted to bone her/be his beard but still.