New York just fucking cancels its Primary

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
TGLS
Captain

Re: New York just fucking cancels its Primary

Post by TGLS »

The problem of First-Past-the-Post would exist regardless of whether the electoral college existed. Smaller parties would cause spoiler effects and elections could be won without majorities. The only difference is instead of the election being decided by about fifty thousand swayable people in Pennsylvania, it would be decided by a few million people spread around the country. More proportional systems don't really work in a one seat election like the presidency.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The main problem with FPTP is that the candidate I didn't like won while having a negative balance on the popular vote. Same issue with the elcetorates. They could have voted against Trump but they didn't. Also they aren't even obligated to the popular vote even though 98.5% of the time they do, so like what are we even doing. It's unheard of to have voting agency dictated by a representational union with geographical lines serving as parameters no less. Direct democracy is best democracy.

And don't get me started on fiat money.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:49 am 2020 sure has been rough on all of us.
I'm going to have to serve you with a $200 citation and one week of community service for making the understatement of the frelling century.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
nada424
Redshirt

Post by nada424 »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-05/new-york-democrats-ordered-by-judge-to-reinstate-primary-vote?fbclid=IwAR3V7kp-xcz_wcxSEZTF1kfSpEPd_1KwRVObXBA3kXXb2o60KoIeBKVxR3g
This thread is now outdated.
Thank god.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Oh thank Hecate. Time for me to make some offerings of gratitude.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Now, maybe they could have the good sense to let folks vote by mail on that?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I hope and pray so.