The most confused morals in Star Trek (and other scifi)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: The most confused morals in Star Trek (and other scifi)

Post by Darth Wedgius »

"The Chase" had the moral that all the sapient hominids were distantly related through an ancestor billions of years ago, so maybe they should all get along better.

The parties involved, if I remember, were humans, Klingons, and Romulans, all of whom killed members of their own species through their history and almost certainly long before. In America, most blacks are killed by blacks and most whites are killed by whites, and our civil war was our bloodiest war by far. We know we're related, and a lot more closely than having the same prokaryote anaerobic ancestor, but it hasn't really stopped us. The Vulcans were so good at it that they declared themselves OP and had to find a new hobby.

I appreciated the intentions (because "stop killing each other" isn't the worst suggestion), but did so with my palm firmly glued to my face.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mind you, I appreciated the ending.

Everyone just shrugged and didn't care about it except Picard.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 am Mind you, I appreciated the ending.

I have gradually come to the conclusion that it's probably OK if people on the internet like something I don't. ;)

I did think that the Romulan commander agreed with Picard to some extent, though:
ROMULAN [on monitor]: Captain, my ships are leaving orbit for Romulan space. Until our next encounter.
PICARD: Until then.
ROMULAN [on monitor]: It would seem that we are not completely dissimilar after all, in our hopes, or in our fears.
PICARD: Yes.
ROMULAN [on monitor]: Well, then. Perhaps, one day.
PICARD: One day.
(Picard picks up one of the little Kurlan figures)
Though that could be interpreted other ways.
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:25 am Mind you, I appreciated the ending.

Picard stopped caring one week later.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Artabax wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Picard stopped caring one week later.
Well he did have an archeology report to publish after all. That probably took slightly more than an afternoon to write.