So I've been thinking about checking out the Stargate franchise

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: So I've been thinking about checking out the Stargate franchise

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

I think most would agree that seasons 3 and 4 are prime SG-1, and many would include seasons 5-7 (although there are those fans that dislike season 6), but season 2 is actually one of my favorite seasons in the franchise. There's not nearly so many outright duds as season 1, it has some very important continuity-building episodes, and it has a handful of the best standalone episodes in the franchise.

But in general I'm a big fan of the tone and style of early Stargate. In the very beginning there were more total misses than later on, but I dug the underdog military aspect of the show before Earth becomes an actual power in the galaxy.
The owls are not what they seem.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm on "Spirits," and I will say this. I think how SG-1 handled the Native Americans was miles better than Chakotay. At least they used a real tribe, and they didn't go with the "white man uplifting the Native Americans" thing Voyager had.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What I love about Stargate so far is there's no Prime Directive being invoked as if it were a god, and any time it follows the spirit of the Prime Directive, it is from logic and rationality, not treating it as an infallible dogma. Like "Cor-ai" where Teal'c was being put on trial. Hammond rightfully refused to wanna get involved because, since they are following their laws (even if it is a kangaroo court) and Teal'c is, as much as Jack didn't wanna hear it, a war criminal, it's entirely legitimate.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I do wanna say this. As a Feminist, one thing I dislike about the Stargate series is... similar to my complaints against Babylon 5. It's how our media manipulates us, in that they seem to imply no true "good girl" would ever not care for or want the rape baby she was forced to carry to term against her will. Part of that may be the "women are our caretakers, and so must nurture" stereotype, but we will never get equality for women in angelizing them like this. It's not even about hating the child. For many women, they see that child as their own as it is growing, and so when it is implanted by an asshole, well... really, it's just, not empowering to women at all as long as this stereotype stays in place. Sadly, I can't ever see the modern studio system showing women as pro-choice, neither will a lot of male authors because, well, we have male bias. I'm saying this, of course, after watching "Forever in a Day" and I don't mind they wanted to kill Sha're. I do take serious issue with the mishandling of her status as a rape victim. And from all accounts I grasp, sadly, it is something that will persist to the very end of the series with stuff like virgin births... why can't sci-fi writers see that no means NO?!
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm on "Beneath the Surface." Am I alone in my complete disdain and utter contempt for Kegan? She is so nasty to O'Neill and Carter when, really, Carter IS smarter than her. And withholds food from them based on that. She's awful.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:09 pm I'm on "Beneath the Surface." Am I alone in my complete disdain and utter contempt for Kegan? She is so nasty to O'Neill and Carter when, really, Carter IS smarter than her. And withholds food from them based on that. She's awful.
Jealous bitch characters always suck. And yet, it does seem as if we were meant to like her.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

And that's weird, cuz I don't. She literally just "doesn't like them." If they'd fleshed it out, maybe. But they didn't.