The Last Jedi Two Years Later

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: The Last Jedi Two Years Later

Post by Yukaphile »

My view is that it happened in an alternate "what if" that was better than what we got. Headcanon doesn't have to be logical.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:58 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:10 pm And then I learned it was Season 1, and I could overlook it.
That is not how canon works. Here is something that I copy and pasted and it literally is not more complicated than this:

"Canon" in fictional stories refers to material related to the story that is considered "official" by the story creator(s). The flipside is something being non-canon: this happens when something is created for a series that ends up being not official.

In every other Trek show both past and present, Klingons now have two dicks. Mirror universe citizens now have bad eyes. Spock now has a sister. Every enraged paragraph and thread you made about these is still just as valid unless you now believe that you were wrong to criticise these retcons.

I am going to say it as it is: This is an incredible turnaround of opinion based fallacious logic and has invalidated at least a 1000 of your comments to date.
To be honest, Discovery is so different from Geneverse and different from Abramsverse that you can argue its a totally different time line.

So yeah you could have TNG Era Klingon where you have no idea how many penises they have and have a Discovery Klingon where they have two.

That's just my view.
I got nothing to say here.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Didn't really bother to read the full 7 previous pages but overall I still do not like the movie. It really did destroy Star Wars and I wished that it never happened. TFA was one thing and I could live with a New Hope retread but TLJ basically killed Star Wars, in my opinion.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, that's what happens when you have zero time to refine the movies. And hell, if they were gonna spam movies every year, then logically, adhering to Legends to some degree would make sense. Given the age of the actors, it wouldn't be a perfect adaptation. But MCU clearly cribbed from the comics, and that's what they wanted to do. Build their own MCU. NuCanon did not do that. They clearly were just trying to hit the original beats of Star Wars, and then the strain got to be too much by 2017, imo. By 2018, the cracks showed through in that Solo didn't perform as expected. And I still don't think two years between movies will work. If anything, George Lucas himself could have spaced it out in 1999. I know he had OCD and went back to work on the originals, but he needed that time to iron out his script and get somebody to do a rewrite.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

cilantro wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:30 am Didn't really bother to read the full 7 previous pages but overall I still do not like the movie. It really did destroy Star Wars and I wished that it never happened. TFA was one thing and I could live with a New Hope retread but TLJ basically killed Star Wars, in my opinion.
In all honestly i don't get that thinking that some how movie that one doesn't like some how destroyed franchise. It's just one movie in entire franchise that as far as movies go (I assume you only care about those) has 2 other entire trilogies and 2 side story movies to choose from. It just comes off whiny and entitled like that opinion is some how only one that should matter.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 pm
cilantro wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:30 am Didn't really bother to read the full 7 previous pages but overall I still do not like the movie. It really did destroy Star Wars and I wished that it never happened. TFA was one thing and I could live with a New Hope retread but TLJ basically killed Star Wars, in my opinion.
In all honestly i don't get that thinking that some how movie that one doesn't like some how destroyed franchise. It's just one movie in entire franchise that as far as movies go (I assume you only care about those) has 2 other entire trilogies and 2 side story movies to choose from. It just comes off whiny and entitled like that opinion is some how only one that should matter.
For me it was three things as far I saw that you could say would destroy the original trilogy.

The hyperspace ramming. Theoretically you could build ships piloted by droids to ram much larger ships. I mean that ramming attack decimated that fleet, not only the Super Duper Star Destroyer. If ramming is truly that effective, in universe it would be used more often. Either that or you just made the First Order that inept in not recognizing the danger.

Luke. Yeah I see both sides. But I see it more as a man who went out of his way to turn the second most evil person in the Galaxy. Then he saw a vision of Ben and decided he needed to be killed? Yeah, it's not like visions are very accurate or anything.

Yoda Blowing up the Jedi Tree. Of Force Ghosts have that ability to do that, then it makes Force Ghosts incredibly powerful.
I got nothing to say here.