Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think Picard has given us some of the best books in the franchise and is the only part of Nu Trek that has been interested in updating the timeline without a massive time jump.

Concepts like the Fenris Rangers, collapsed Neutral Zone, Exbes, revision of the Romulus star exploding from something ridiculous to something more reasonable, and ideas like the destruction of Mars are all fascinating.

Note all of what I think Picard introduced were in Season 1.

I also admit that I loved Starfleet Museum so maybe ONE extra bit.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:13 pm I think Picard has given us some of the best books in the franchise and is the only part of Nu Trek that has been interested in updating the timeline without a massive time jump.

Concepts like the Fenris Rangers, collapsed Neutral Zone, Exbes, revision of the Romulus star exploding from something ridiculous to something more reasonable, and ideas like the destruction of Mars are all fascinating.

Note all of what I think Picard introduced were in Season 1.

I also admit that I loved Starfleet Museum so maybe ONE extra bit.
That's the few things that Picard does right. Present new concepts, shaking up the Status Quo und develop the story so far, without completely careening off the rails (like Discovery) or making a huge time jump to divorce itself from the established franchise (like Enterprise and Discovery again) or treading known paths and trampling established canon (SNW, Abrams-Trek).

You have to keep in mind though, that many of those new concepts, shakeups and developments aren't exactly novel. Most of the stuff you could find in Star Trek Online already years prior. And what it does with those shakeups and new concepts is... bad. Just bad.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox