Boris Johnson is the new British Prime Minister

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Boris Johnson is the new British Prime Minister

Post by TGLS »

I think it would be hilarious if brexit resulted in Labour and the Tories collapsing, leaving LibDems and Brexit Party in charge.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

If the Tories and Labour collapse the other parties would not be "in charge", they would just have a more equally represented parliament, which would probably result in even more gridlock.

Also, the third largest party in Westminster is not the Lib Dems, but the SNP.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

At this point whole Brexit is one big joke and more trouble than it might had been worth. It just shows how little average voter cares about big picture when they rather vote based on what they are told and politicians never tell them what they should know.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

And the snap reelection is blocked.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

BoJo also seems to have lost his working majority.

With no general election in the cards, is "Second Referendum" still an option?
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Unlikely. The EU wants this over with just as much, and both Labour and the Tories are internally divided on the matter.

A second referendum would just complicate matters even further.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

PerrySimm wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:13 am BoJo also seems to have lost his working majority.

With no general election in the cards, is "Second Referendum" still an option?
That general election is coming, maybe not in the coming days, but soon. The Tories have a minority of something like 30 now.

You have to live here to understand just how many people feel absolutely betrayed. A second referendum carries with it the serious risk of being the spark that leads to Hong Kong. People think I am overreacting when I say that, but think about it: 17 million people voted leave. If even a small fraction of that decides take to the streets then we are talking thousands.

And even if it doesn't lead to Hong Kong and everything remains peaceful, it will solve nothing. If Brexit is cancelled its supporters are not going anywhere and will probably be even more resentful of the EU. I certainly think the man who will profit the most out of a cancelled Brexit would be Nigel Ferage because he will sweep up thousands of disenfranchised Tory voters just as he did during the EU election. He won't be Prime Minister but could the Brexit Party become as big as the SNP or the Lib Dems? Yeah, I think so.

The bad blood generated by Brexit will last a generation you mark my words. It will bubble under the surface until it rises again. As such, do you know what I think the best thing the EU could do right now? Refuse an extension to A50 and tell us to piss off and stop poisoning their well. I know for a fact that President Macron was very close to threatening that the last time so its not even unlikely.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pmThe bad blood generated by Brexit will last a generation you mark my words. It will bubble under the surface until it rises again.
And none of which is the fault of the EU and yet the EU will be blamed...
clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pmAs such, do you know what I think the best thing the EU could do right now? Refuse an extension to A50 and tell us to piss off and stop poisoning their well. I know for a fact that President Macron was very close to threatening that the last time so its not even unlikely.
I sincerely hope so. This bullshit limbo-state that the UK is in at the moment, is just damaging to everyone on both sides of the Channel.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 am
clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pmThe bad blood generated by Brexit will last a generation you mark my words. It will bubble under the surface until it rises again.
And none of which is the fault of the EU and yet the EU will be blamed...
clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 pmAs such, do you know what I think the best thing the EU could do right now? Refuse an extension to A50 and tell us to piss off and stop poisoning their well. I know for a fact that President Macron was very close to threatening that the last time so its not even unlikely.
I sincerely hope so. This bullshit limbo-state that the UK is in at the moment, is just damaging to everyone on both sides of the Channel.
I can assure you that almost any blame I once had for the EU in this situation is waning. I blame the Remainers in our government and the Brexiters who were waiting for a unicorn deal.
Thing is that I never voted for no deal. And there was a deal on the table but it was never taken.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I think you'll probably not acknowledge it and I mean this without any condescencion, but I am glad that you are increasingly coming around to my point of view in this mess. It gives me the hope that you might take that final step and squarely put the entire blame to whose feet it belongs and it's not at all those who actually fight for something they believe in, a Union of Nations no less, who fight for unity between differences, but those who play off of all too human fears, those who use something deep inside yourself, that paradoxically connects you with every other human being on the most basic level imaginable, in order to enlarge their own prestige and coffers.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox