The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by MrL1992 »

https://twitter.com/neuvoreylogirl/status/1211536482344697856

This movie will be so fascinating to read about years down the line.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:23 pm I hear Disney struck a fan film that had followed the rules for having "copyrighted" music. They even specifically went to Lucasfilm to get their approval. Yeah, I don't trust the big corps, thank you. They wanna go out of their way to crush competition rather than encourage it.
Competition would be making something new that captures the imagination Star Wars had. It's not taking someone else's stuff and trying to succeed off their success.

Big business has a tendency to be rather arsey about using the copyright hammer in a self-centred, counterproductive way, even when it might overall benefit them but the basic principal is sound and fair and there's no good reason for SW to go PD. You want something you can do what you want with? Create it yourself.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I'm already contributing my share with my planned massively sprawling sci-fi crossover, of which Star Wars Legends is one of seven others. But the sad truth is that ever since TCW landed, people don't care about reading Star Wars like they once did, the visual medium is just expanding out of control, and all I can gather from Lucasfilm management policies by watching YouTubers like Captain Fordo, EckhartsLadder, and so on is that TCW is where it all broke down and arguably set the stage for Lucasfilm's policies today. Continuity was thrown aside, and it's never recovered. Granted, the old EU was rife with retcons, especially as the prequels hit theaters, but at least they weren't returning to older material that had already been done and overwriting it. The EU was at its strongest from the early 1990s to the mid-2000s, because even if it wasn't entirely consistent, they tried to be consistent, and it was unfolding a complete world. No more. Now, there are definitely great fan films out there, but greater animators (like FXitinPost, for example, among others) need incentive to do so, and money could be one factor. Lessening financial worries given what a cash cow Star Wars is. Imagine a world where Star Wars was in the public domain, and any other studio could, say, start making Star Wars Legends films, starting with the Thrawn Trilogy like Winter wants? Sad truth is there is no more competition, it's just arrogant people who have crushed it and now think they know best. I've said if they don't wanna put it in public domain, put Legends in Creative Commons. That would free up numerous independent animators on YouTube. But no, they still wanna sell the older material relabeled as something else. That gives fans no incentive to try and work on Legends material themselves, which Chuck Wendig, that asshole, was absolutely blind to. He said, "Go write fanfiction." Leland Chee and Pablo Hidalgo have just gone full-blown into damage control since canon was officially thrown out in 2014, but as I said, that came earlier with TCW. Palbo Hidalgo, who referenced the older EU as Gospel many times, now actively insults Legends fans and says they're Trump voters. :lol: This is why it feels so good to have left. And if they DO make any new Legends material, since they will absolutely consider TCW part of the continuity because hey, that's popular, we can't alienate our fans, it's just gonna get even worse. A complete wreck. It will become the very mess of retcons, rehashes, and broken, confusing logic people said the older EU was before TCW. Very sad. I won't support it at all.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Maybe I don't care how "consistent" with other stories about Space Wizards the current story about Space Wizards I'm watching it. I just care how each story works on it's own.
Call me KuudereKun
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

That's oversimplified. George Lucas drew great inspiration from more sophisticated material. You're missing my point anyway. It is that for the most part, the EU was solidly condensed from the early 1990s to the mid 2000s, right up until TCW began which, from what I've heard, was merely going to expand a bit on the original cartoon, and instead exploded out to a whole TV show, like how George Lucas merely wanted to fix a few things for the Special Edition, and then it all blew out of control. The Clone Wars had already been done in the multimedia project, and then Dave Filoni began rewriting it (from all accounts, he snuck things past George and in a lot of other cases, when told by Leland Chee that it was inconsistent to the prior material, went over his head to appeal to George), because he's a hack who doesn't care about what came before. That was the first pointless rehash. Then came Disney and terminating all the previous books and comics because... we wanna build a HUGE TV and movies empire that will make us richer, and so the books won't have any lasting consequences. And when you confront them on Twitter, people like Pablo Hidalgo and others mock the continuity fans, which... Hidalgo referenced the EU in other source material! I dunno what the hell has gone wrong in the last decade, but I think they're manned by incompetent, corrupt liars.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Ok, so I just arrived from watching TRoS and I really like it. While I think that TLJ has some bad parts but is fine movie I found TRoS really enjoyable. I don't think it had bad parts and that it was good conclusion for story. Then again it was also joy seeing Ian McDiarmid hamming it up as Palpatine again as well as seeing Resistance using B-Wings and Y-Wings again after using those weird bombers in TLJ. Only weird little thing to me was Han's ghost showing up talk to Ben considering thatg he wasn't force sensitive but it didn't make me enjoy movie any less.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Just listened to 'The Infinity Podcast' and their take on the movie. I think they nailed the key element that jeopardised this movie from the start.

It wasn't a lack of planning, plans can change and there is such a thing in performance as improv. Good improv starts needs to honour what immediately came before, not ignore it. The MCU does not plan out the stories of every individual movie. Heck, there's one interview out there that claims Thanos was put in as a tease at the end of Avengers with no idea as to how he'd be used.

What helped facilitate this improv was someone like Kevin Feige who helped ensure all the different creatives played nice. Granted, there's a difference between a trilogy and long film series but the MCU still contains trilogies within itself.

Look at the source material too, comic book writers jave to improv off each other all the time. Continuity may not always be perfect but as long as it doesn't ignore recent plot developments, it usually get by.

What they were basically saying was... JJ Abrams is bad at improv.
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Riedquat wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:45 am
Yukaphile wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:23 pm I hear Disney struck a fan film that had followed the rules for having "copyrighted" music. They even specifically went to Lucasfilm to get their approval. Yeah, I don't trust the big corps, thank you. They wanna go out of their way to crush competition rather than encourage it.
Competition would be making something new that captures the imagination Star Wars had. It's not taking someone else's stuff and trying to succeed off their success.

Big business has a tendency to be rather arsey about using the copyright hammer in a self-centred, counterproductive way, even when it might overall benefit them but the basic principal is sound and fair and there's no good reason for SW to go PD. You want something you can do what you want with? Create it yourself.
Yeah, I heard about that. I do wonder if that was a deliberate part, with Disney so that KK can somehow be seen as a mini-hero (since her reputation among fans isn't good)? But yes, it was something like The Youtuber got permission from Lucasfilm to do everything and even gave out instructions on how to make the fan film. He followed everything that he was told to do and then he got a copyright strick from another Disney company (I believe it was one of their music companies) and then a day or so later it was said that KK personally came in and told them that it was okay and he followed their instructions on how to make the film. He got the film back but I feel like that to this day people are still upset about the whole thing.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

While it was a bit of a rehash from Return of the Jedi, I still liked it.

Not a fan of Palpatine returning.

I still prefer Rey as a Kenobi. At least she came from somewhere. A huge build up to a non-answer was never going to satisfy me. Though I think I would have preferred a reveal about Finn. Then the build up would have had the twist they wanted without leading no where. Poe’s background was revealed through other sources, so he was out. That leaves Finn.

I cried when Chewie cried, yet when it was time to fight, he didn’t hesitate...and he finally got a medal! Whoo hoo!

I didn’t care for Rose in the previous movie, but that was because she ended up with crappy plots. It was disappointing that she was demoted to extra.

While I don’t ship Kylo and Ren, I wished he had survived. If anything else, so that they didn’t completely redo The Return of the Jedi. I’d prefer if they took on a sibling relationship.

I do ship Finn/Ren/Poe, and hey, that could still happen with that ending. Jannah seemed to be getting along with Finn, so throw her in too. I think the four of them would get along.

Given the incest jokes with Luke and Leia, having them watch their shared apprentice as Rey took on the Skywalker name was hilarious to me. That had to be intentional, right?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Mecha82 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm Ok, so I just arrived from watching TRoS and I really like it. While I think that TLJ has some bad parts but is fine movie I found TRoS really enjoyable. I don't think it had bad parts and that it was good conclusion for story. Then again it was also joy seeing Ian McDiarmid hamming it up as Palpatine again as well as seeing Resistance using B-Wings and Y-Wings again after using those weird bombers in TLJ. Only weird little thing to me was Han's ghost showing up talk to Ben considering thatg he wasn't force sensitive but it didn't make me enjoy movie any less.
It wasn't Han's ghost, it was Ben's idealized memory of him. He says that straight out.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.