Lesbians being pressured into sex by pre-op transwomen

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Lesbians being pressured into sex by pre-op transwomen

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:07 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:22 pmIt's the "does x gender with physical trait y fall under what it's expected for orientation z to be interested" stuff I'm having trouble following.
Ah. Fuzzy as I see it is talking about the issues associated with a trans man trying to date another gay man, whether cis or not. The working logic I believe being that a man in a relationship with a man basically defines a gay relationship, and thus transitioning to a man brings with it obstacles when trying to embark on a gay sexual relationship.
So the disagreement is over whether genital preference should be assumed to always go with orientation? Is that it?

Edit: Looks like you edited it while I was writing my reply, the edit clears it up thanks.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

I have heard people argue, in all seriousness, that it's wrong to prosecute people who drive drunk because their judgment is impaired and they're not responsible for their actions.

I reject that argument. If you choose to get drunk, you've made the decision to render yourself unable to make decisions, and you're still responsible for the consequences of the choices you make while inebriated.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Frustration wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm I have heard people argue, in all seriousness, that it's wrong to prosecute people who drive drunk because their judgment is impaired and they're not responsible for their actions.

I reject that argument. If you choose to get drunk, you've made the decision to render yourself unable to make decisions, and you're still responsible for the consequences of the choices you make while inebriated.
It's more a matter of you demonstrating your inability to maintain responsibility, thus the public acts punitively upon your offense with consideration that it is a fluke and that you are capable of maintaining responsibility, or you can't and proceed to lose your license.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Lily Cade, the sexual abuser cited by the article, went on a genocidal rant against trans women that included calling for specific trans women to be lynched.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

The list of trigger warnings would be longer than her actual rant if anyone is thinking of looking it up BTW. Like, every trigger I've ever heard of.

Also she seems to have trans women confused with cenobites? It's pretty unhinged.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Maybe she was just innocently confused by the Hellraiser remake's casting news? :P
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

TERFs as a rule buy into Blanchard’s autogynephilia theory for why bi/lesbian trans women are “actually” trans, so anything they do is just fulfilling a fetish they have for looking like and being treated as a woman.

This in turn means you have a group of people that, in their view, have their dicks turned inside out for sexual pleasure. So yeah you’d describe them in terms pretty similar to cenobites in your hateful imagination.

(In actuality it turns out that most people enjoy thinking of themselves as being attractive and idealized in their sexual imagination and that if you apply Blanchard’s methodology to cis women something like 90% would qualify as autogynephiles, but TERFs aren’t really interested in facts.)
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

She also hits all the TERF classics, like directly saying all trans women are Buffalo Bill making a skin suit out of babies (I think the baby part was a metaphor that got away from her), puberty blockers for trans kids are secretly the same as confirmation surgery, confirmation surgery is disfiguring butchery, blah blah blah. A bit more "quiet parts out loud" than usual but most of it is just boilerplate.

The "breastfeeding is literally sexual assault" thing was new. And described in shockingly graphic terms for how intensely stupid a concept it is.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Draco Dracul wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:43 am
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:49 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:43 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:24 pm Fuzzy isn't it generally understood that being a transgendered person is something commonly might need a bit of transparency when opting for conventional warp speed relationships, particularly when you're looking for a cis partner?
It is not generally understood. If you're dating somebody and you think they might be trans, it's on YOU to ask, not on THEM to disclose. If that seems awkward or embarrassing for you, just imagine how it feels for them.
This is an attitude I do not not understand. If a transperson should fear violence from a romantic interest if they find out the transperson's nature. It seems to me, as a matter of pragmatism, it is in the transperson's self-interest to control the circumstances of when and where that happens.
That's what fuzzy's describing. Not having the onus on them to disclose inherently gives them more control while being required to do so gives them less.
No, it does not. It means when the truth comes out will be random, though with the probability likely skewed towards a moment of high passion which is far more likely to end in violence.

There is something that stuck with me when taking an OSHA defensive driving course, which the instructor had a short part on being a pedestrian. When crossing a street at a crosswalk it is still incumbent on a pedestrian to be aware of what the vehicles around them are doing because when a pedestrian gets into a fight with a motor vehicle, the pedestrian loses and "But I had the right of way" makes a lousy epitaph. The principle here being that you cannot depend on others to do right thing to keep you safe. There seems to be an insistence to act as if the world is as you think it should be, rather than as it is.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:41 am She also hits all the TERF classics, like directly saying all trans women are Buffalo Bill making a skin suit out of babies (I think the baby part was a metaphor that got away from her), puberty blockers for trans kids are secretly the same as confirmation surgery, confirmation surgery is disfiguring butchery, blah blah blah. A bit more "quiet parts out loud" than usual but most of it is just boilerplate.

The "breastfeeding is literally sexual assault" thing was new. And described in shockingly graphic terms for how intensely stupid a concept it is.
Yeah the whole manifesto was a lot of “ah so that’s what The Transsexual Empire sounds like when it’s not trying to sounds academic.”