ENT - The Xindi

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: ENT - The Xindi

Post by Nealithi »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:12 am
If you can fix cars you can work on piston engine small planes. Technology is the same and the more aircraft related tech is pretty simple to understand. Working on the big planes on the other hand is different.

Your auto mechanic can't, working on any aircraft involves a FAA license which involves school.
Let me start by saying you may not be wrong. I do ask what goes into the FAA license though?
Because supposedly OSHA says you can not drive a forklift unless you are certified per building you wish to work in. You absolutely can physically drive a forklift. But an agency is saying you have to pay us for the privilege first. And here is the class to take.
I have been OSHA certified in a half dozen buildings and it is the same class over and over and half the time does not actually apply where I am.
So again ask, what is in that FAA license?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:22 am
If you can fix cars you can work on piston engine small planes. Technology is the same and the more aircraft related tech is pretty simple to understand. Working on the big planes on the other hand is different.

Your auto mechanic can't, working on any aircraft involves a FAA license which involves school.
Let me start by saying you may not be wrong. I do ask what goes into the FAA license though?
Because supposedly OSHA says you can not drive a forklift unless you are certified per building you wish to work in. You absolutely can physically drive a forklift. But an agency is saying you have to pay us for the privilege first. And here is the class to take.
I have been OSHA certified in a half dozen buildings and it is the same class over and over and half the time does not actually apply where I am.
I typed FAA Certified Mechanic into google and it spat this out as the first result.
https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I can buy perhaps the argument that mechanical is mechanical. A conduit is not that far removed from a communicator. OK.

But I do not buy that levels up to being an expert on matter/anti-matter reactors and transporters. I get that the Trekverse is not the real world, but nevertheless, the argument can be made that FTL travel and teleportation are probably the most advanced pieces of technology that will ever be invented by the human race short of a Dyson shell or a stargate. In real life a warp core and a transporter would be two separate PHDs because of the sheer danger and complexity involved.

Lets be clear here: anti-matter potentially makes a nuclear bomb look like a firecracker. The same guy who is repairing your ducting is not the same guy who will be repairing a reactor powered by the stuff.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

22 months of school with classes approved for Aviation. The license is called A&P, Airframe and Powerplants. It allows me to work on anything from a single prop piston engine plane to the big boys like Airbus 380 or the Beoing planes. I can even work on helicopters but I find them boring.

The school is based on hours too. 6.5 hours a day four days a week. The school is split in three, with three final FAA tests administered by the FAA themselves. General, Airframe and Powerplants. You can go for another six months and get your Avionics license, I didn't. Want nothing to do with that.

OSHA does leave the industry alone, until something goes wrong. Some say it's because the OSHA doesn't want to step on the FAA's toes. But even then we have to go through forklift training ourselves too.

We use forklifts for alot of things. Like hanging a engine for example. They are pretty useful for that.
I got nothing to say here.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:30 pm

I typed FAA Certified Mechanic into google and it spat this out as the first result.
https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/
From the mouths of Aviation gods.

They are correct, the skills are transferable to alot of things. Like machining, anything mechanical, manufacturing etc.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I just watched the review again and it left me with a question: You see T'Pol at the end there covering herself up, but is having a nudity taboo in this context logical? Wouldn't they think of breasts as more ''just things that provide milk'' as opposed to anything sexual? Especially when you factor in they only mate every seven years and seem to value intelligence over looks.
I'm reminded of when Teen Q removed Seven's clothes and she just turned around and nonchalantly said ''ah, you are trying to embarrass me?'' which just seems far more like what I would expect a Vulcan's attitude to nudity to be.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 am I just watched the review again and it left me with a question: You see T'Pol at the end there covering herself up, but is having a nudity taboo in this context logical? Wouldn't they think of breasts as more ''just things that provide milk'' as opposed to anything sexual? Especially when you factor in they only mate every seven years and seem to value intelligence over looks.
I'm reminded of when Teen Q removed Seven's clothes and she just turned around and nonchalantly said ''ah, you are trying to embarrass me?'' which just seems far more like what I would expect a Vulcan's attitude to nudity to be.
The vulcans seem to have quite a few items not related to pure computer like logic. The rituals and monasteries come first to mind. Things like fights to the death over a mate still being around. Logically they should simply have a list with those that will be affected and when. Then they simply go with the most genetically compatible.
Even the vulcan expression exchange. "Peace and long life." "Live long and prosper." do not have a basis in pure logic.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 am The vulcans seem to have quite a few items not related to pure computer like logic. The rituals and monasteries come first to mind. Things like fights to the death over a mate still being around. Logically they should simply have a list with those that will be affected and when. Then they simply go with the most genetically compatible.
Even the vulcan expression exchange. "Peace and long life." "Live long and prosper." do not have a basis in pure logic.
Any living creature that operated on pure logic would quickly cease to be a living creature because if you operate purely on logic there's no reason to value anything - including your own life.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I'm pretty sure even in-universe Sarek's teachings are, "Logic is a path to peace and enlightenment."

But get dumbed down to, "Logic is an an endgoal."

Which has been highlighted by Spock and others.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 am I just watched the review again and it left me with a question: You see T'Pol at the end there covering herself up, but is having a nudity taboo in this context logical? Wouldn't they think of breasts as more ''just things that provide milk'' as opposed to anything sexual? Especially when you factor in they only mate every seven years and seem to value intelligence over looks.
This really applies to any species in Trek with female and male genders. As far as I know, the human species is the one where female sex has pronounced breasts all the time.

Why would a female Vorta have cleavage? They are cloned.

Why would Cardassian females? They even scales that run down there.

Human societies pretty much create the whole 'things' with breasts, cleavage, etc. We got other societies where women walk around completely top less the entire time (insert jokes about National Geographic magazines being stolen by teens).

Though you are right and should have been better though of. T'Pol should have been completely unbothered about her exposed breasts. In fact it would have been a progressive thing for the show to do. How many years have feminists argued about the oversexualization of breasts and how unfair it is for men to walk around top less but women can't?