Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Zargon
Officer

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Zargon »

I think anyone who does not want spoilers should not read something that will contain spoilers.

So, Mikey comes back and takes over the show...yea. Guess all the other crew members missed her, though she barley talked to any of them in two years. And her whole secret plan was so dumb...and it only would have taken seconds to ask and tell Captain Saru about it. But then again it IS the Mikey Star Trek Show.

Guess Earth not being part of the Federation or Starfleet is just more wacky political stuff, by making "Earth(aka America) non important.

And all the CGI spam was very video game like.

Though the whole raiders vs Earth did not make any sense. So Earth is a 32nd century planet power with tons of tech. And they are fighting five junky ships? Er, why did not the Earth defense grid not just blow them away? And Earth did not know the bad guys were from Titian? So, um, does not Earth patrol or at least scan the whole Sol system? 32nd century scanners can scan quadrants...but Earth can't scan Titan? And they do skip the whole rest of the solar system?

There was the nice part when the Earth super advanced torpedoes all most blow away Discovery. Though this is what you'd expect from a SUPER WEAK SCIENCE SHIP from the 23rd century. But some how I bet they will "forget" about this for the last episode Star Wars pew pew fight...

And to submit yet more proof that Saru is the worst captain ever....when borg girl whines and complains, he does nothing. He just lets it go. Sure, she has a silly sub plot going....but still you don't question an order, even more so in combat.

And it's so sad the show has so few episodes....we could of had a whole episode of Michile Firefly.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Zargon wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:48 pm I think anyone who does not want spoilers should not read something that will contain spoilers.

So, Mikey comes back and takes over the show...yea. Guess all the other crew members missed her, though she barley talked to any of them in two years. And her whole secret plan was so dumb...and it only would have taken seconds to ask and tell Captain Saru about it. But then again it IS the Mikey Star Trek Show.

Guess Earth not being part of the Federation or Starfleet is just more wacky political stuff, by making "Earth(aka America) non important.

And all the CGI spam was very video game like.

Though the whole raiders vs Earth did not make any sense. So Earth is a 32nd century planet power with tons of tech. And they are fighting five junky ships? Er, why did not the Earth defense grid not just blow them away? And Earth did not know the bad guys were from Titian? So, um, does not Earth patrol or at least scan the whole Sol system? 32nd century scanners can scan quadrants...but Earth can't scan Titan? And they do skip the whole rest of the solar system?

There was the nice part when the Earth super advanced torpedoes all most blow away Discovery. Though this is what you'd expect from a SUPER WEAK SCIENCE SHIP from the 23rd century. But some how I bet they will "forget" about this for the last episode Star Wars pew pew fight...

And to submit yet more proof that Saru is the worst captain ever....when borg girl whines and complains, he does nothing. He just lets it go. Sure, she has a silly sub plot going....but still you don't question an order, even more so in combat.

And it's so sad the show has so few episodes....we could of had a whole episode of Michile Firefly.
Looks like my prediction of Star Trek: Andromeda was right then. All heil female Dylan Hunt. I tell you, if she ends up becoming a goddess by the end of this I would not be surprised.
HumanXeroxMachine
Redshirt

Post by HumanXeroxMachine »

I would love it if the final episode of Discovery revealed that it's existence is a holo-novel written by Q.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

"People of Earth" was another solid episode for me, and while it's still early, I'm sensing a trend with how season three is going to pan out, the Discovery crew going to a new place and resolving the conflict there, and those that they help will be the allies that help reform the Federation, we already have Book, the people of The Colony, and now the United Earth and the colony of Titan.

Speaking of the United Earth, I like that when The Burn happened and so many ships gone, the Federation and Starfleet left Earth so it wasn't a target, and that Earth itself was independent, normally in Star Trek when we talk about the Federation it feels more like Earth and friends, with humanity being in a sense the centre of the galaxy, so it's refreshing to not have the humanity will fix all the problems or have Earth be the centre of the conflict.

I'm happy that Captain Saru is now official, and I like his command style, and him echoing Captain Georgiou's "Starfleet doesn't fire first" line, and even having her telescope set up in his ready room.

Adira was good, I love to idea of a 16 year old with the knowledge of a 900 year old Trill symbiote, and I like the interaction between Adira and Stamets, but I think we need more time to get a grip on their character.

I also like Burnham and her more "lighter" personality as Tilly put it, and It looks like Chuck is being proven wrong in one case so far, as aside from the tearful reunion with the crew, she mainly interacts with either Saru and Book this episode, with other characters having a chance to shine and interact with new characters, even with her being reintroduced as it were, with her now back onboard it'll be interesting to see how the series goes forth, also I agree, “Cake is eternal.”

When I first saw the trailer and saw the red eyed helmeted people from this episode, I was worried that they would be this big bad evil threat throughout the series, so I was very happy that not only were they first presented as just raiders, but also that they were humans, and that the conflict started because of a misunderstanding, and because of The Burn people are just trying to survive and are now more cautious and less open; and while it's still early I do wonder if there is even going to be a big bad of the series, and if there is (with what Zareh said last episode) it will be The Exchange and\or people that benefit from The Burn and don't want change.

And there were lots of little things I like in this episode, the ending with most of the bridge crew visiting the tree they used to study under at the academy now all grown up, that Earth is still a paradise, the memorial wall o lost crew members with Starfleet badges, Burnham and Book's banter, honestly a really good episode.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Asvarduil
Officer

Post by Asvarduil »

Link8909 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:36 pm "People of Earth" was another solid episode for me, and while it's still early, I'm sensing a trend with how season three is going to pan out, the Discovery crew going to a new place and resolving the conflict there, and those that they help will be the allies that help reform the Federation, we already have Book, the people of The Colony, and now the United Earth and the colony of Titan.
This is actually something I like for the 33rd century "Rebuild the Federation" arc. Presumably, after a certain point, the Federation will start recomposing itself.
Speaking of the United Earth, I like that when The Burn happened and so many ships gone, the Federation and Starfleet left Earth so it wasn't a target, and that Earth itself was independent, normally in Star Trek when we talk about the Federation it feels more like Earth and friends, with humanity being in a sense the centre of the galaxy, so it's refreshing to not have the humanity will fix all the problems or have Earth be the centre of the conflict.
Also agreed. In fact, because power constantly ebbs and flows in real political systems constantly, I'm surprised that Starfleet Command / Federation HQ didn't shift more frequently. Given the Federation's propensity for debate and compromise, I'm surprised there weren't Federation things that shifted Starfleet Command to Andoria for 20 years, and then to Betazed for another 20, then to Tellar for 20 when each planetary government got enough power to argue the point and get the concessions.
I'm happy that Captain Saru is now official, and I like his command style, and him echoing Captain Georgiou's "Starfleet doesn't fire first" line, and even having her telescope set up in his ready room.
Definitely agreed. Saru has went from the butt of jokes, to a really good character! I'm really liking him and his journey. I'm wanting him to be the main character, because of his unique perspective, his quality character, and his general level of competence and relative sanity. The only two captains who are more sane and competent than him are Kirk, and The Sisko.
Adira was good, I love to idea of a 16 year old with the knowledge of a 900 year old Trill symbiote, and I like the interaction between Adira and Stamets, but I think we need more time to get a grip on their character.
I also like that she echoed Ezri Dax - "I'm Admiral (Name forgotten)". A newly-joined Trill *does* have identity issues.
I also like Burnham and her more "lighter" personality as Tilly put it, and It looks like Chuck is being proven wrong in one case so far, as aside from the tearful reunion with the crew, she mainly interacts with either Saru and Book this episode, with other characters having a chance to shine and interact with new characters, even with her being reintroduced as it were, with her now back onboard it'll be interesting to see how the series goes forth, also I agree, “Cake is eternal.”
I do agree that the lighter, more human personality is a welcome change, and helps Michael be more likable - something she desperately needs. Unfortunately I disagree that she allows other characters to shine. She hogs a significant amount of screen-time, is the one who "gives" Saru his command, even though that should be the crew's decision at this point (they really do have to choose to follow him - there is no Starfleet Command at this point to say, "this guy is in charge, follow him.") She also pulls off a Burnham Fastball Special - come up with a crazy plan, don't tell anyone about it, and hope it works. Hopefully that pitch isn't so fast that both the batter and the hitter can't react!

Interestingly, she shares this trait with Booker, who not only is prone to his own fastball specials, but sometimes pulls them off while drunk, apparently. She really should've gone with Booker, she's not a good fit for the Discovery.
... I was very happy that not only were they first presented as just raiders, but also that they were humans, and that the conflict started because of a misunderstanding, and because of The Burn people are just trying to survive and are now more cautious and less open; and while it's still early I do wonder if there is even going to be a big bad of the series, and if there is (with what Zareh said last episode) it will be The Exchange and\or people that benefit from The Burn and don't want change.
I think this possibility is perhaps the most interesting. Not every campaign needs a BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) - sometimes, the status quo is a juggernaut in its own right. A TV show that attacks its own status quo is not only a rarity, but something that should be less original than it is.

Additionally, I felt the perspective of the United Earth humans was interesting. It wasn't "We don't want to be nice", it was, "We have to be very very careful because the universe has gone to heck in a handbasket", and not just to be douches - for real reasons. I quote, "Everyone lost someone to the Burn." If the "villain" of this season is getting people to realize that being nice to each other is how you get over that...well, that's actually a very good, timely lesson that real-world humans can apply to our own not-so-United Earth.
And there were lots of little things I like in this episode, the ending with most of the bridge crew visiting the tree they used to study under at the academy now all grown up, that Earth is still a paradise, the memorial wall o lost crew members with Starfleet badges, Burnham and Book's banter, honestly a really good episode.
Absolutely this. Frankly, I think this right here is a good portent of what we can expect from S3 DISCO. There's been a lot of those little moments of human interactions, even starting with Michael in the first episode. I'm glad that the writers are choosing to put the humanity of the characters - even the non-human ones - first.

Interestingly, I also like that Saru and Michael recuse themselves from the Earth visit. While they are Federation and Starfleet, they're also not Earthers like the crew who go planetside. It's a significant place to them...but it's also not home.

Also, the bit at the memorial wall. "Tilly gonna Tilly" indeed. She's grown on me. Should I be worried?
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Asvarduil wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 pmDefinitely agreed. Saru has went from the butt of jokes, to a really good character! I'm really liking him and his journey. I'm wanting him to be the main character, because of his unique perspective, his quality character, and his general level of competence and relative sanity. The only two captains who are more sane and competent than him are Kirk, and The Sisko.
Okay, come on, Kirk isn't more sane and competent than Picard.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Kirk is actually the wellest composed character on the show.
..What mirror universe?
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:01 pm Kirk is actually the wellest composed character on the show.
The guy once sidetracked an important time-sensitive mission to get an urgently needed medicine for his dying crew because he wanted to fuck a robot.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Durandal_1707 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:49 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:01 pm Kirk is actually the wellest composed character on the show.
The guy once sidetracked an important time-sensitive mission to get an urgently needed medicine for his dying crew because he wanted to fuck a robot.

That was Worf I believe.
..What mirror universe?
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:40 pm
Link8909 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:36 pm "People of Earth" was another solid episode for me, and while it's still early, I'm sensing a trend with how season three is going to pan out, the Discovery crew going to a new place and resolving the conflict there, and those that they help will be the allies that help reform the Federation, we already have Book, the people of The Colony, and now the United Earth and the colony of Titan.
This is actually something I like for the 33rd century "Rebuild the Federation" arc. Presumably, after a certain point, the Federation will start recomposing itself.
Indeed, and while I won't judge the season for what I personally want it to do, I do hope it's a slow process and not everything is back to normal by the end of season three, and the rebuilding continues for future seasons, maybe by the end of season three there's a small alliance of all the people the Discovery crew helped during the season.
Also agreed. In fact, because power constantly ebbs and flows in real political systems constantly, I'm surprised that Starfleet Command / Federation HQ didn't shift more frequently. Given the Federation's propensity for debate and compromise, I'm surprised there weren't Federation things that shifted Starfleet Command to Andoria for 20 years, and then to Betazed for another 20, then to Tellar for 20 when each planetary government got enough power to argue the point and get the concessions.
Same here, the fact that all Starfleet and Federation operations are based in Sol make Earth a prime target (that episode 3 even pointed out), personally I would have love to have seen what you suggested, and maybe even see multiple Starfleet bases like the Academy or Utopia Planitia Shipyards based at different Federation worlds, so there isn't a primary one.
... I was very happy that not only were they first presented as just raiders, but also that they were humans, and that the conflict started because of a misunderstanding, and because of The Burn people are just trying to survive and are now more cautious and less open; and while it's still early I do wonder if there is even going to be a big bad of the series, and if there is (with what Zareh said last episode) it will be The Exchange and\or people that benefit from The Burn and don't want change.
I think this possibility is perhaps the most interesting. Not every campaign needs a BBEG (Big Bad Evil Guy) - sometimes, the status quo is a juggernaut in its own right. A TV show that attacks its own status quo is not only a rarity, but something that should be less original than it is.

Additionally, I felt the perspective of the United Earth humans was interesting. It wasn't "We don't want to be nice", it was, "We have to be very very careful because the universe has gone to heck in a handbasket", and not just to be douches - for real reasons. I quote, "Everyone lost someone to the Burn." If the "villain" of this season is getting people to realize that being nice to each other is how you get over that...well, that's actually a very good, timely lesson that real-world humans can apply to our own not-so-United Earth.
Definitely agree, and thinking more about it, I think it's great that Earth did split off from the Federation as it serves the running theme (so far) of this season, and benefits the overall Star Trek franchise, by saying that the Federation was able to continue without Earth, it makes the Federations principles universal values that anyone from anywhere are able to follow, like with Aditya Sahil and Kal, rather than a "god given right" of humanity that only humans are capable of, and it's the outsider or other that doesn't understand or follow these values that was a very common theme in the early seasons of The Next Generation; Humans aren't perfect and even in the utopian future are capable of cruelty, but are just as capable of great kindness as well, and so are the aliens that are out there, that personally is a far more powerful message than the "humans are perfect" spiel that was preached in early TNG, at least for me anyway.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard