Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CMWaters
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by CMWaters »

Even if they didn't, the Klingon Empire IS an Empire, with probably multiple planets. AND this is after the virus that made a portion of the population look more like the TOS style ones. Is it hard to believe that a section of them would look different thanks to either trying to repair the damage or just the fact that they weren't raised on the homeworld, thus grew up differently?
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CMWaters wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:39 pm New video clip before the premier tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAPNRelO4EU

Though this does somehow make me wonder: how come during all the time we've had dealing with Changelings has no one even off-handedly mentioned the Chameloids like Martia from Star Trek VI? You'd think them being similar in seemingly being able to change their shape into anything (albeit Martia didn't have to go to a liquid form) and being able to be anyone (see Martia turning into Kirk), they would have been mentioned even in passing. Or were they just all extinct by the 2370s?
They’d probably refer to species 8472 before a singular specimen.
..What mirror universe?
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:10 pm
CMWaters wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:39 pm New video clip before the premier tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAPNRelO4EU

Though this does somehow make me wonder: how come during all the time we've had dealing with Changelings has no one even off-handedly mentioned the Chameloids like Martia from Star Trek VI? You'd think them being similar in seemingly being able to change their shape into anything (albeit Martia didn't have to go to a liquid form) and being able to be anyone (see Martia turning into Kirk), they would have been mentioned even in passing. Or were they just all extinct by the 2370s?
They’d probably refer to species 8472 before a singular specimen.
Hopefully give them a proper name that's easier to say, despite how relatively iconic that has become.

Yes, I know Star Trek Online has done so, but that's only canon until a show or movie knocks it out of being so.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Martia is a pretty shitty shapeshifter tbh. She has gold eyes through every transformation - its probably what got her shot by the Klingon jailer.

My headcanon is that like the Founders, the Chameloids were hunted down by fearful solids. Unlike the Founders however, the Chameloids had no Vorta rescuers or armies coming to their rescue, and being such shit shapeshifters there was nowhere to hide. I also kind of think its kind of interesting that the one example of her race that we've ever met was in prison.
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:37 pm Martia is a pretty shitty shapeshifter tbh. She has gold eyes through every transformation - its probably what got her shot by the Klingon jailer.

My headcanon is that like the Founders, the Chameloids were hunted down by fearful solids. Unlike the Founders however, the Chameloids had no Vorta rescuers or armies coming to their rescue, and being such shit shapeshifters there was nowhere to hide. I also kind of think its kind of interesting that the one example of her race that we've ever met was in prison.
Did she have the gold eyes when she turned into Kirk? Been a while since I saw ST6 so I can't remember off hand.
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

She and mystique from x-men movie are cousins.
..What mirror universe?
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

I have a theory on Jack with the revelations of the recent ep. Possible spoiler

With all the DS9 nods lately, maybe he's similar to Sisko but instead of being a child of the prophets, he's a child of the Pah Wraiths.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Word of the Star Trek subreddit is that a foreign language subtitle already named the voice Jack is hearing. If it holds true I'm not sure I'm going to like it.

On an other note: Does Beverly have some kind of different DNA? First Wesley and now Jack.

... Oh god... Please don't tie it into the ghost boyfriend!
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:21 am
CMWaters wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:07 am Well then...

Seeing Ro back was a nice thing to see, and we finally got resolution from her last appearance. Sad that she had to sacrifice herself for the greater good in all this. Would have liked to have seen her and Geordi (who they're taking their time bringing in as we're at the halfway point) interact but Picard and Riker were her two major interactions of the main cast so it works.

Changelings evolved further...guess it would make sense after their first major defeat like they had in the Dominion War (remember, they said they hadn't failed a major conflict like that in thousands of years) they would find a new wrinkle to make things harder. And this time they're not holding back if they had four at once on one ship. Though apparently this new evolution to their physiology makes them easier to kill than before.

Criminal Vulcan was an interesting twist to everything with the Worf/Raffi plot, which is connecting to everything else now.

The AI that is protecting Daystrom: could that be how Moriarty plays a part in all this? Would be a stretch to explain but so far it's the best lead to it all.
That's all ''Picard'' seems to be. ''Here's this character you liked from another Star Trek show, now they're dead.''
While it is sad to see her go, it was done far better here and in earlier seasons. The way she died was far better than Hugh. We did get to spend some time with her and got to have some emotional resolution with Picard.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CMWaters wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:49 pm
clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:37 pm Martia is a pretty shitty shapeshifter tbh. She has gold eyes through every transformation - its probably what got her shot by the Klingon jailer.

Did she have the gold eyes when she turned into Kirk? Been a while since I saw ST6 so I can't remember off hand.
Top is Kirk, bottom is Martia. They are less gold than her normal eyes, but those are still definitely not Kirk's eyes.