Lower Decks Season 4

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Re: Lower Decks Season 4

Post by stryke »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:36 amWeakest of the individual stories for me was Mariner's one, but maybe I just found the leg gore a bit off-putting.
Yeah that was what I was reffering to when I said it felt like an early s1 throwback, yes even more so than the flashback actually set in early s1.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:36 am Did VOY and DS9 use the same cave set too, or were those different cave sets?

Anyway, I loved this episode. They know exactly what they are doing with that "we're roommates" line. Weakest of the individual stories for me was Mariner's one, but maybe I just found the leg gore a bit off-putting.
DS9 was super blatant about it because they loved doing firefights in the part with a six foot cliff between levels (the part the framing story uses). Voyager actually did have another cave set, Rutherford's story uses it.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I am really hyped about the finale, but sad because the season is almost over. I've loved this one so far.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

It amused me about the mention of flat ground. I always joked how flat Star Trek caves floors were. Small things.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

The cave set is the sort of Rememberberries I can get behind. One of my biggest criticisms of LD and PIC season 3 is the ''look at this, its a thing you remember from the past, get an erection'' style of storytelling. But this sort of thing is smart. Most of old Trek really is just hallways and caves.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:22 am The cave set is the sort of Rememberberries I can get behind. One of my biggest criticisms of LD and PIC season 3 is the ''look at this, its a thing you remember from the past, get an erection'' style of storytelling. But this sort of thing is smart. Most of old Trek really is just hallways and caves.
I think it's because its a more low key 'memberberry' than let's say Ferengi culture. But it's that sort of thing that Trek fans would know of due to knowing about the standing cave set they always had up.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'd argue that Picard is worse about it, because for lower decks the "remember this?" things almost always serve the story and work without in-universe without the context. The finale with the old Enterprise bridge, on the other hand, felt more self-indulgent. YMMV though, obviously.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:27 pm I'd argue that Picard is worse about it, because for lower decks the "remember this?" things almost always serve the story and work without in-universe without the context. The finale with the old Enterprise bridge, on the other hand, felt more self-indulgent. YMMV though, obviously.
Picard was worse. Live action show that is supposed to be connected to other Primeverse shows whereas Lower Decks always felt like a Trek cartoon for the fans and not meantly to be taken entirely serious.

Bringing back the old E-D was the worse. Pure 100% fan service. Starfleet Museum pure fan service.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Lower Decks gets points for me just for avoiding the whole "let's bring back a character you recognize and immediately kill them off" thing Picard loves.

Plus the characters in the show being huge nerds about it in-universe is just fun to me.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:15 pm Lower Decks gets points for me just for avoiding the whole "let's bring back a character you recognize and immediately kill them off" thing Picard loves.

Plus the characters in the show being huge nerds about it in-universe is just fun to me.
I think that's the point Boimler, Mariner, they are stand ins for us, especially those of us who know more than enough about Trek to get the jokes, get the references. The inside jokes. Sure they sometimes go overboard with it but I never took the show that seriously.