Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:38 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:36 pm Does anyone even know why this is happening?
I mean, this is a vast oversimplification but the probable reason as to, "Why now?"

A. Israel was given a free reign by Donald Trump to make a shit ton more settlements to expand into Palestinian territory. These include Donald Trump named neighborhoods. This combined with the fact that no concessions were made to Palestinian authority as they tended to be forced under Obama and Bush of all people made things worse.
B. Iran has been expanding its reach into Palestine and radicalizing people for the past decade, Solemani (the guy Trump killed) having adopted a policy of proxy wars that have been expanding its reach ala the CIA in the Eighties for maximum ironies sake. Iran REALLY hates Netanyahu for his attempts to get the USA to invade under Obama and fearmongering about the government.
C. Egypt has closed the border due to its own instability and this has made pressures on Palestines civilians much-much harder both supply wise and movement wise.
D. Netanyahu is actually widely considered to be a weak armchair general and paper tiger who would vastly overreact while also fail miserably at actually providing security due to the fact his government is a bunch of political cronies and incompetent yes men.
E. Palestine is run by a terrorist organisation that literally has it in their founding manifesto to destroy Israel and to refuse any attempts by any foreign government to dissuade them from that goal. Any time is a good time to attack as far as they are concerned.
F. In recent years, countries such as Egypt, Morocco and Saudi Arabia have actually been getting along quite well with Israel as it turns out that they much prefer trade and profit over some nebulous jihad, Egypt and Morocco it turns out even warned Israel of the attack, doing a better job with their intelligence network than both Israel and the West.
G. Hamas cannot under any circumstances allow ''Option F'' to happen. It has however backfired as the condemnations of Hamas has been swift. Something that never would have happened even 15 years ago.
H. A counter to the previously mentioned ''Option C'' is that Egypt doesn't want any more Palestinians within its country due to the fact that Hamas and ISIS routinely attack and kidnap foreign tourists as well as carry out Viking-style raids for supplies. Egypt is worried about letting hundreds of thousands of such people into its lands. They are also worried that any aid supplies will just end up in the hands of Hamas and ISIS, something that both Israel and the West are also extremely worried about. Because as already established, Hamas doesn't care about its citizens, only the end goal of killing Jews.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yeah I’ve heard it’s a pretty profound event for a state when taking in refugees. I think I might be thinking of Brexit, as one of the key takeaways was that people didn’t like the eu’s refugee policies. Meanwhile I was thinking it was more commonplace in the US… maybe a factor in terrorist escalations.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:59 pm Yeah I’ve heard it’s a pretty profound event for a state when taking in refugees. I think I might be thinking of Brexit, as one of the key takeaways was that people didn’t like the eu’s refugee policies. Meanwhile I was thinking it was more commonplace in the US… maybe a factor in terrorist escalations.
Funny how America has almost no terrorist problems with refugees but massive ones with radicalized nationalist ones.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:28 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:59 pm Yeah I’ve heard it’s a pretty profound event for a state when taking in refugees. I think I might be thinking of Brexit, as one of the key takeaways was that people didn’t like the eu’s refugee policies. Meanwhile I was thinking it was more commonplace in the US… maybe a factor in terrorist escalations.
Funny how America has almost no terrorist problems with refugees but massive ones with radicalized nationalist ones.
Seems like a 75:25 ratio of domestic terrorism to Islamic extremism.

It’s important to have international cooperation for situations like that, but yeah it’s at worst seeming like just a lot of work for the host country.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:12 pm
Seems like a 75:25 ratio of domestic terrorism to Islamic extremism.

It’s important to have international cooperation for situations like that, but yeah it’s at worst seeming like just a lot of work for the host country.
[/quote]

There's also the good argument that this kind of situation is a panacea on terrorism. Helping alleviate crisis situations undercuts the rise of militant dangerous groups and civil wars in the making.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Do you have the actual stats on that ratio, BridgeConsoleMasher?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:28 pm Do you have the actual stats on that ratio, BridgeConsoleMasher?
I'm still looking into it now that you've asked (for it, I mean). But here is what I got so far for about 3 Google AI queries.

From 2010 to 2021, I&A tracked a total of 231 domestic terrorism incidents. Of these, 94 deaths and 111 injuries came from racially or ethnically motivated violent extremists.

Since 9/11, jihadists have killed 107 people inside the United States.

Since 9/11, jihadists have killed 107 people inside the United States. This death toll is similar to that from far-right terrorism (consisting of anti-government, militia, white supremacist, and anti-abortion violence), which has killed 122 people.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I wonder how many of those are domestic versus immigrant terrorists.

I remember the Fort Knox killer was a jihadist but born in the USA because ISIS recruited people over the internet.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:28 pm
Because at the end of the day the US is an island in all but name. An island with two friggin' huge oceans on either side of it. The only two land borders of any note you have with the rest of the world is Mexico and Alaska. The rest of us have to deal with living somewhere where you can literally walk/take a little rubber dinghy into it. Of course you aren't getting the same problems with immigrant terrorists as we are when they can't bloody get in. You guys in the US are cushioned as F from the real horrors of the world which is why you are able to stand in faux moral superiority to the rest of us. Very easy to mock the concerns of people who have a problem with immigration when you have to deal with nothing but problems you yourselves invented by letting every nutter in your country access to a gun.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

..What mirror universe?