What would you change about DS9

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: What would you change about DS9

Post by Deledrius »

Nobody700 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:54 pm Holy jesus hated that dude, what a lame ass character who's entire reason to exist is to act badly and kinda have sex with Kira. He gets THREE episodes dedicated all to him? Jaysus.
There seemed to be a rule through TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise that nearly every guest love interest was required to have zero chemistry with their assigned main cast member. That's an unfortunate side-effect, I suppose, when you have such little time to develop, but egads it makes no sense at all when those roles are designed to be recurring -- or somehow keep getting brought back despite the lack of chemistry. Trek's casting was sometimes amazing and sometimes just alright, but it was consistently awful when it comes to love interests. TBH, I think the male guests tended to be the worst off, but that could be my own cis-het bias.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Even his Mirror version why definitely better than the Prime verse version was still flat. Maybe the actor just wasnt that good. Perhaps you could have argued that since he was a monk, that showing too much emotion was frowned on.
I got nothing to say here.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:04 pmThere seemed to be a rule through TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise that nearly every guest love interest was required to have zero chemistry with their assigned main cast member.
Even with that caveat, and the extra one of purely sticking to the guys who are their for the main character gals, he's still got to be at or near the bottom with the Beverly's candle ghost.

That could be a fun tiermaker now I think about it. I mean who would get into A or even S? Only one I think of the top of my head with actual proper yep that's some actual chemistry there is the telepath hunting fascist who got into it with Janeway.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

stryke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:54 pm
Deledrius wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:04 pmThere seemed to be a rule through TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise that nearly every guest love interest was required to have zero chemistry with their assigned main cast member.
Even with that caveat, and the extra one of purely sticking to the guys who are their for the main character gals, he's still got to be at or near the bottom with the Beverly's candle ghost.

That could be a fun tiermaker now I think about it. I mean who would get into A or even S? Only one I think of the top of my head with actual proper yep that's some actual chemistry there is the telepath hunting fascist who got into it with Janeway.
He is at least on the bottom when it comes to characters with at least two episodes in a series. Not that there is many.

I do enjoy Grilka Quark's once Klingon wife is certainly entertaining. Perhaps the concept as cis male of having a woman who probably is physically stronger than me having some really rough sex does have an appeal to me. But that boner goes away with Neelix liking it too. Also breaking bones isn't up there either.

Shakar though is better in every way and even then he suffers to a lesser extent in the boring category.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

stryke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:54 pm Even with that caveat, and the extra one of purely sticking to the guys who are their for the main character gals, he's still got to be at or near the bottom with the Beverly's candle ghost.
Putting everything else aside from that episode, Beverly's Candle Ghost is probably still a more interesting character. And far less bland. Bareil was supposed to be a calm, meditative monk. What we got was a blank stare.

Shakaar was indeed better (amusingly, also played by Beverly's Ghost in a much better role), but then his character was assassinated (figuratively) and he left.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:08 pm
I do enjoy Grilka Quark's once Klingon wife is certainly entertaining. Perhaps the concept as cis male of having a woman who probably is physically stronger than me having some really rough sex does have an appeal to me.
As someone who is neither cis nor a man, same.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:36 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:08 pm
I do enjoy Grilka Quark's once Klingon wife is certainly entertaining. Perhaps the concept as cis male of having a woman who probably is physically stronger than me having some really rough sex does have an appeal to me.
As someone who is neither cis nor a man, same.
Well for a cis male, we tend be bigger and stronger than our partner. The idea of being manhandled during sex does have an appeal to it.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Grilka was also an interesting character that was well-acted.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Grilka is interesting in the sense that she is a Klingon woman with a character. Most of them are just sex objects or junior officers. I get that is kind of the point in their uber-patriarchy, but anyone else remember Azetbur from The Undiscovered Country? I feel as if somewhere along the line TNG and DS9 decided to ignore the fact that she was ELECTED into the GOVERNMENT. She was the one who signed the Khitomer accords that were such a major part of season 4 and 5 of DS9 ffs.

And this film came out whilst TNG was airing too so its not as if i'm breaking out the TOS canon from fifty years ago here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

It's probably the result of writers at any given episode deciding they wanted to do a modern-day allegory as part of their story and just overlaying it on [insert alien race here] regardless of that society's previously-established gender roles. Unless the previous shows on that race were very explicit, I'm sure most of the time they figured it would go unnoticed.

Fans love to rationalize retcons (or hate, but do it anyway).