Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

This is something I don't think has been discussed here, but given that it's Star Wars, I feel it needs to be.

Galaxy's Edge is, by all appearances, a flop. Those who have been there describe it as startlingly empty for a Star Wars theme park, comparing it to a ghost town. Disney Land itself is suffering from a large reduce in visitors for the usually bustling summer season, while Universal Studios is doing just fine, from what I understand.

From what I have heard and seen of the park, it's no wonder why it's struggling.

First off, the park is supposed to be canon to the Star Wars universe. WHAT?! Who the hell thought that would be a good idea, and what moron approved it? As bad as J.K. Rowling has gotten, she never declared the Harry Potter attraction at Universal to be in-universe. This means that Coca-Cola and a lot of other real world properties are now canon and have pages as in-universe things on Wookipedia!

The second big problem I've noticed is that it's overpriced to an absurd extreme, as the Lightsaber building attraction costs 200 dollars, which would be a hell of a lot of money for an entire family. That and apparently they don't last long, from what I'm told. I've only ever been to Disneyland once when I was seven so I don't recall if the price was as big of a deal back then, but the prices I'm seeing are crazy. I mean, I understand that they have to make their money back, and are hoping to make bank on it, but this is a little too far.

Third, it's too focused on the Sequel Trilogy, all the OT and PT stuff is relegated to a museum and the only character from those eras is Hondo Ohnaka as an animatronic in one of the attractions (and for some odd reason he looks like he did in TCW instead of the older, washed-up version we saw in Rebels ). Now don't get me wrong, I love Hondo, but it's odd to have him be the only character from prior eras since casuals or people who only watch the movies will have no idea who he is and assume he was created for the park. And because of this inane choice to be in-universe, that means there's no Darth Vader walking around nor R2-D2, C-3PO, Darth Maul, Luke, Leia, OT Storm Troopers, Clone Troopers, Sabine, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Ahsoka, Chewbacca, Yoda...characters people actually want to see, and given that by all accounts the ST appears to be failing to catch on, and due to this the location of Batuu has been described as bland, tired and phoned in, not really feeling like Star Wars. It's no wonder it's not doing too hot, as it looks painfully bare bones.

And, most amusingly, the only place with a long line and a long wait time is the bar.

The idea to focus almost exclusively on the Sequel Trilogy was terrible, made worse by the negative effect TLJ had on the franchise and the fanbase. I mean, with Solo bombing, the toys and merchandise rotting on the shelves, and now Galaxy's Edge under-preforming, I don't think Disney can deny that something went wrong.
Mecha82
Captain

Re: Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Post by Mecha82 »

Of course it was going to be themed around canon and sequel trilogy. It's what Disney and Lucasfilm are focusing on so makes sense that it would be also theme for park. Sure they could had used OT since it's canon (all movies are) but again that's not what they are focusing on. I can image that that was they reasoning why they chose sequel trilogy to be focus.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They really are full of themselves to an almost unhealthy degree, thinking their "new, respectable" canon, so-called, is really better than all that old stuff, because it's official now, it's "not a mess" like Legends was (which everyone by now can see for the blowing-smoke-of-their-ass diversion tactics it is), and it's "progressive," which means nothing if the story isn't of great quality. The original trilogy was primarily the white man's show, and its story blows everything out of the water except, imo, KOTOR 2, which was the most fresh and original new take on the mythos since the series ended in 1983. I dunno, this just makes me feel vindicated. And if it's any indication, it's probably proof Last Jedi will fail. Not financially, but it won't make anywhere near the money they are projecting. Which is great. I just hope this doesn't convince them to go back to Legends, whether to reboot it, or to try something stupid (Kennedy talking about an Old Republic project is frankly terrifying), because it's clear they're just dumb idiots who know nothing about a good story past their own "casual" interest in this franchise.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:35 pm This means that Coca-Cola and a lot of other real world properties are now canon and have pages as in-universe things on Wookipedia!
Well, if Starbucks could make its way in the GoT world, so can Coca-Cola.

But yeah, it's quite sad to see what has happened to Star Wars ever since Disney bought it. I still remember the comments a few years ago when people were thrilled, saying that now they'll fix the shame that were the prequels, and make SW better than Lucas did last time. But now...
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:11 pm I just hope this doesn't convince them to go back to Legends, whether to reboot it, or to try something stupid (Kennedy talking about an Old Republic project is frankly terrifying), because it's clear they're just dumb idiots who know nothing about a good story past their own "casual" interest in this franchise.
I know you really love Legends but I am sorry to say this but if you think that Legends ever mattered you are delusional. Lucas only cared about movies that were his vision and allowed Legends material to be made. Then again I have no hatred towards Disney canon and I am mature adult while liking geeky stuff so I am able to think logically without going all nerd rage.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Let's be honest: it's what we all feared when Disney took over.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Mabus wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:50 pm
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:35 pm This means that Coca-Cola and a lot of other real world properties are now canon and have pages as in-universe things on Wookipedia!
Well, if Starbucks could make its way in the GoT world, so can Coca-Cola.

But yeah, it's quite sad to see what has happened to Star Wars ever since Disney bought it. I still remember the comments a few years ago when people were thrilled, saying that now they'll fix the shame that were the prequels, and make SW better than Lucas did last time. But now...
At least the Starbucks thing was just an error they intend to edit out, this was done on purpose.

It's almost as if Lucas got so tired of RLM, Simon Pegg, whiny OT purists and the like that he decided to say "Oh, you think someone else can run Star Wars better than me? We'll see about that..." And gave them the epitome of the 'Be Careful What You Wish For' scenario.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:13 pm Let's be honest: it's what we all feared when Disney took over.
Yep. I'm glad George got a pile of cash for it, but this is what I always feared would happen.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Mecha82 I know Lucas didn't give a fuck, but he has a far better claim than Disney does. They were his babies, and he was an artist, if an egocentric one that didn't care about fandom or world-building or continuity at that. But Lucasfilm took that apathy for Legends, and doubled down. All they are trying to "bring back" is what's popular, what sells, and what they think appeals best to "children," like children under ten, bastardizing them into what they term "the new canon" in a smug undertone just dripping with self-congratulations. As if "this is the best Star Wars ever just because it's now official!" But then, Legends did matter. Just because Lucas and those at the company still maintain that "never mattered" attitude, doesn't make that any less the case. I'm simply commenting on their arrogance, their corporate mindset that even Lucas himself is not a fan of. While Lucas has deep, deep flaws and I have severe issues with him as a fandom nerd, in the end, I respect him more than those in charge at Disney and Lucasfilm now. Because he had more redeeming qualities and more legitimate basis than they do now. Still upholding the "not canon, was never canon, never mattered" mindset when they are literally in control now and can make it so it mattered is INCOMPETENCE. And they're hiding from the public. They are horrible. If you can think of Lucas as a DEEPLY flawed man who pisses off fans because he's obsessively focusing on his own art, which is misguided but ultimately a fair aim, then you can think of those in charge now as similar to Roddenberry. Egocentric, dominating, abusive, narrow-minded, and so on. Completely full of themselves.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TheStarWarsTrek
Officer

Post by TheStarWarsTrek »

Figures, Galaxy's Edge is something I've been following (mostly since who knows when or if I'll be able to afford going there myself), so I thought "Neat, a thread talking about it!" . . . and it's the same old song and dance, this wookieepedia page, but without the sarcasm . . .

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Ruined_FOREVER