Interested in Star Trek Online Playthroughs?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
griffeytrek
Officer

Re: Interested in Star Trek Online Playthroughs?

Post by griffeytrek »

tyrteg wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:32 pm And this dear friends is how you make a proper tribute! Not even Nimoy got his own ship class named after him. But Aron Eisenberg has his own Eisenberg class of Star Cruisers in Star Trek Online.
And you get it completely free (Account wide) just for doing the Winter Event.
Cryptic could've locked it behind Loot-boxes or asked crazy amounts of cash for it and people would still get it just for it's name. Instead you get it for free for doing the event.
SWtOR has never been as classy as STO today.

Get a full preview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yofx883hTc
If you want this ship get it now. They actually have announced that they will NEVER SELL THIS SHIP AS A CASH SHOP ITEM. So it's not going to show up in a Mudd Bundle, or any of their other pay to get stuff you missed options.

It's also worth noting that as of yesterday STO is no longer owned by a predatory Chinese publisher. It's been taken over by the Swedish.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Check me. But I thought PWE was Korean?
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Nealithi wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:52 pm Check me. But I thought PWE was Korean?
Chinese based in Beijing. They just sold the North American Operations. Probably seeking to divest foreign investments after seeing the CCPoundmeintheass currently happening to Tencent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_World_(company)
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

tyrteg wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:59 am
Nealithi wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 pm I wouldn't say nobody reads.

That said I am not sure about the mirror you actually being met based on the video shown. Also noted that while they showed a proper Odyssey uniform all the ships show were Disco era?
Fair enough - might be people read it - but if they're not speaking up it's hard for me to tell. I'm sharing this stuff because I love STO but also because I'm curious about other's opinions and experiences with the new episodes ;)

In any case - played the newest story mission - once again top notch writing. Cryptic is really spoiling us with STO. The whole episode is honestly carried by Chase Masterson who pretty conclusively proves that she was utterly wasted on DS9 as the "fanservice girl Leeta." Her Mirror Admiral version is just delicious and the voice acting really makes Mirror Leeta feel like a real character with layers - not just another "I have beard and am evil because I can" Mirror Universe bad-guy. I'm pretty sure she was scheming the whole time and I was working for her more often than not. Big congratz to Chase Masterson and I'm always ready for more of her characters.

Also the end reveal was... pretty damn awesome. Just short enough to be impactful and foreboding! Won't spoil it - but personal advice - first time you play the new mission - bring your Federation toon. It'll be worth it!
It's always interesting to see known TV or film actors do voice acting. Some of them surprise you. For example Chase Masterson and Denise Crosby. Neither of whom would seem to have a great range in the flesh are great fun as Voice Actors. J G Herzler is fantastic as a VO. Whereas Michael Dorn always feels a little wooden voice only. Like he's giving a speech or sales presentation. You really see it with the Disco cast. The guy who plays Stametz is fantastic. So much so that you want the snarky in game version of him as a regular on your ship. Whereas Sonequa Martin-Green actually seems much much worse voice only. And I do realize the enormity of what I am saying. Mary Wiseman actually seems to be a really good voice actress, in spite of the fact that her primary Tilly character is possibly the most annoying thing in the game. She is great fun as Mirror Tilly though. And of course lest we forget Jeffrey Combs is a god in any form he takes and through any medium he may perform.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

griffeytrek wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 pm It's always interesting to see known TV or film actors do voice acting. Some of them surprise you. For example Chase Masterson and Denise Crosby. Neither of whom would seem to have a great range in the flesh are great fun as Voice Actors. J G Herzler is fantastic as a VO. Whereas Michael Dorn always feels a little wooden voice only. Like he's giving a speech or sales presentation. You really see it with the Disco cast. The guy who plays Stametz is fantastic. So much so that you want the snarky in game version of him as a regular on your ship. Whereas Sonequa Martin-Green actually seems much much worse voice only. And I do realize the enormity of what I am saying. Mary Wiseman actually seems to be a really good voice actress, in spite of the fact that her primary Tilly character is possibly the most annoying thing in the game. She is great fun as Mirror Tilly though. And of course lest we forget Jeffrey Combs is a god in any form he takes and through any medium he may perform.
So main Leeta seems off to me. Like they want to show she is clever. But are missing something. Maybe because she is working in the background with the ferengi. Mirror Leeta. I think is at her best in Firewall. Her best line is "Please tell me I don't sound like that to you." No Leeta, you sound much hammier.
Sela and Yar. I hated Yar in Temporal Ambassador. She was just. Why? Why is my ally being snarky over me opening a door she didn't know was even here? And quoting Star Fleet regulations in a Tholian base? What is wrong with you!? Sela on the other hand I want to shoot. How and why anyone ever trusts her I have no idea. On one hand she seems to know Hakeev is doing things. But then not what? She is a manipulator. . On paper. I mean she put it on her resume. But does not come across as it.
That brings me to J.G. Herzler. I think in all dialog after he was hired he was good. But him going back over the stuff done before he was brought on board. He comes off as wooden.
Dorn's Worf. . . . In Sphere of Influence he seemed more Worf like to me. An older wiser Worf even as he reeled in Koren. The rest do seem wooden and not exactly like he was in the room with anyone when reading his lines. So he had no context.
Okay yes I liked Stametz.
No comment on Burnham. I have not seen the woman act enough to weigh the job. I did not enjoy those missions. So that may color my opinion of how she did in them.
I disagree with Prime Tilly being the most annoying thing in the game. I could see her being your friend in the academy and she seemed bubbly and warm. The opposite of the wooden you often get in voice acting. The sharp contrast from that to Mirror Tilly. MT has two modes, murderously sincere and murderously mocking. You know she is mocking you. And it is well done.
I have never seen nor heard something Jeffery Combs is bad in. Oh you may hate his character. But damn do you love to hate him. Or love to be on his side. And everything in between.

Now back to most annoying. Landry. This is a second in command of a Starship. She does not take the loss of the Buran or the injuries to Lorca well. I would applaud her tears to losing Patel if she had not been basically crying the entire episode. It just came off as more of the same by the time she lost the woman she was to marry. I think she did better as a klingon.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:39 pm I would applaud her tears to losing Patel if she had not been basically crying the entire episode.
Well she is from Disco. I'm pretty sure they had to replace all of the ships carpeting with mop'able flooring and floor drains due to the decks constantly being awash in the crews tears.
tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:39 pm Dorn's Worf. . . . In Sphere of Influence he seemed more Worf like to me. An older wiser Worf even as he reeled in Koren. The rest do seem wooden and not exactly like he was in the room with anyone when reading his lines. So he had no context.
Yeah I sadly have to agree - Dorn seemed the most wooden of the STO voice actors. But I try to remember that most of his stuff is very old and been in the game for ages - and it just shows how much their production, writing and directing improved over the last couple years.

In other news - U.S.S. Seventy Maxims my Eisenberg class cruiser is all pimped out and ready for action. Not sure how I feel about the long tail - but it's sufficiently futuristic-looking so when my Temporal Agent ends up in the future (poor chap is always getting lost in time) he'll get a very pretty and era-appropriate ship to fly.

And yeah - whenever I'm kitting up a new ship with all those horrible instruments of murder and mayhem to inflict maximum damage on the enemies of the Federation - this Reddit post comes to mind:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/q ... configure/
tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

Aaaand here we go again. Another anniversary and another Aliance ship: The Jarok Alliance Carrier
This time a D'deridex with a bit of Federation saucer.
It even has it's own Aliance fighters.
I have to say - didn't like the look at first glance but it's slowly growing on me. With a proper cosmetic shield (probably Reman shield - I dig that edgy look) it's gonna be awesome!

tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

Holy balls! Janeway Alert. This is not a drill. I repeat - This is not a drill. The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse has entered Star Trek Online. Go get a free T6 Coupon to get ANY T6 ship you want. Even a brand new one. Go get it now! And beware the Janeway!
Also - they added her to previous missions in Delta Quadrant. Nice!

EDIT: The mission is nice and I'm pretty much convinced the writer watches SFDebris and his reviews of Voyager. Seeing evil Janeway and Mirror Universe Janeway bond over coffee was fun and Mulgrew sells it beautifully.
Last edited by tyrteg on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Oooh That'll do it! Chuck's gotta venture into STO now. His Nemesis has shown up in stereo. Admiral Janeway and Mirror Janeway (she seems quite nice. Very kindly, drinks tea, and turns you into a Borg if you piss her off)