Is Asami the Deuteragonist of The Legend of Korra?

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Winter
Captain

Is Asami the Deuteragonist of The Legend of Korra?

Post by Winter »

No really, think about it, Asami does have the most impact on the plot and has the most development of any character not called Avatar Korra. Her conflict with her father and him working with the Equalist is the only plot point of Book 1 to have any lasting, Meaningful, impact on the show. Her trying to keep her company afloat is a major part in Varrick's plan to wage war with the North, her growing relationship with Korra becomes, arguably, the most important relationship on the show and her character arc of rebuilding her relationship with her father, her growing relationship with Korra and her plan is the one that's used to stop Kuvira are vital to the series finally.

And this is before we get to the comics which have continued to expand on her character and she continues to have more impact on the plot due to her relationship with Korra and Kuvira. By contrast, Tenzin doesn't really have much to do in Books 3 and 4, Lin has a great character but not much impact on the plot, Jinora is only really plot relevant in Books 2 and 3, Bolin's impact on the plot throughout the series is rather minor and Mako is just there to be Korra and Asami's love interest and after that he doesn't really have a reason to be in the series.

Now, the argument could be made that Asami isn't really the Deuteragonist because she, sadly, has less screen time then other characters. However, Batman has less screen time then most of his Rogue's Gallery in Batman: The Animated Series and I doubt anyone is going to be claiming that Bat's not the Protagonist of his own series anytime soon (seriously go back and watch the show most of the episodes are entirely dedicated to the villain of the week and their character arcs then Batman).

So with that in mind is Asami Sato, aka the Batman to Korra's Superman, the Deuteragonist of The Legend of Korra?
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: Is Asami the Deuteragonist of The Legend of Korra?

Post by CmdrKing »

To me deuteragonist does specifically imply a degree of parity, so on its face I tend to disagree.

However...

Asami has a substantially more complex arc than the rest of the supporting cast. Bolin doesn’t really learn major life lessons as the show progresses, he simply becomes less impetuous and gains better judgement. Mako... makes a lot of small or innocent mistakes (and one large one) but clearly already had a grip on how to handle them, so his story is more about slotting into adult life.

Asami’s arc much more closely parallels Korra’s, of her trying to find a place in a rapidly changing world while seriously questioning her values and who she thinks she is and has to be.

In that sense she feels much closer to Zuko’s role in Avatar.
SigilBreaker26
Redshirt

Post by SigilBreaker26 »

Asami has nothing to do in the entire series after the first season except be the subject of affection twice and some stuff with her company in season 2 and her dad in 4. The one exception is fighting sometimes.

A story doesn't really need a Deuteragonist but if Korra had one it would absolutely be Tenzin, who has by some distance the most character development and focus of any non-antagonist character aside from Korra herself. (I'm not sure how you could possibly argue he doesn't have focus in season 3. 4, possibly, I don't remember him doing a lot in season 4 but he's a major character in 3). After him, probably Bolin, who has his own character arcs and has something to do in every season. After Bolin, Lin; after her, I dunno, even Varrick has more relevance tbh.

I wouldn't even say Asami has an arc in 1, her sole revelation was that her dad was a douche. That's pretty much it.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'd be reluctant to say the series has one at all; it's definitely not to the degree as Katara or Zuko from the old series. I have to agree that if there is one it would be Tenzin, though.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Absolutely not.
SigilBreaker26 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:26 pmA story doesn't really need a Deuteragonist but if Korra had one it would absolutely be Tenzin
I agree. I think he may definitely count in Book 2. Outside of that it's fuzzier.

However, Asami is never it.