How would you handle TFA & Disney SW? Discuss.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

How would you handle TFA & Disney SW? Discuss.

Post by Captain Crimson »

So I had this thought stirring in the back of my mind for a bit now. Let's assume in an alternate reality that LF grabbed a fan and put you in charge of being showrunner for the new movies? That was never going to happen, certainly, but let's pretend it was. TFA was the launching point to a new mythology, supposedly, so what they did there set the stage, and it still echoes even now. The successes and the failures. The highs and the lows.

I'll offer up my own viewpoint, then let you guys share yours!

For one thing, it should be fairly clear I would pick up where the EU left off. Yes. If fans or children get confused about the details to these new movies, you just direct them to the EU. Like Mr. Hidalgo did back under Mr. Lucas. Don't treat the fans or children as idiots. I would put Jaina Solo onto Jakku investigating an ancient evil for the New Jedi Order. That's where her part begins in this hypothetical alternate TFA. Finn would be a stormtrooper in the Imperial Remnant, rather than for the First Order. Poe Dameron would be a New Republic pilot. And instead of General Hux, I would use Jagged Fel. And if you actually want a new Wookiee figure for the kids, you got Lowbacca. Mr. Chee's comments here strike me as tone-deaf. That seems to be official LF policy. Or they don't care about the story group. Whichever you feel is more believable!

Kylo Ren is relatively easy to adapt here. He is really just Ben Skywalker grafted into their new lore. I found it strange he is Han and Leia's son, because you know, Han mocked him and Leia never met him personally. Luke makes more sense. He could even keep the title of Kylo Ren, although here he would be Ben Skywalker. I'd probably set this a little after Crucible or the FOTJ series. I think in this version, my Kylo Ren would've gone over to the Imperial Remnant and perhaps this can serve as the forerunner to founding the Imperial Knights of the Fel Empire. The Knights of Ren would function as the template for that then. This isn't altogether unreasonable, either, since Jaina Solo married Jagged Fel. And you know, in this version, Ben might have wanted to go his own path, something other than the Jedi, with how deeply ingrained into the history of the galaxy and his father in particular that it is.

And it is in the Imperial Remnant where the biggest problem comes from. Rather than Sharad Hett, I would tweak Snoke and his character design, somewhat. Change him into a Gen'dai Sith Lord. Gen'dai are extremely long-lived. So for my money, I'd have this one be around five thousand to six thousand years old. A Gen'dai Sith Lord who's witnessed all the serious galactic conflicts, the Great Hyperspace War, the Exar Kun wars, the Mandalorian Wars and Jedi Civil War, the New Sith Wars, and all the wars of the PT and OT eras. He would have history and I could easily see him being a kind of puppet behind the throne to Emperor Fel and hoping to corrupt this Kylo Ren to his own ends. I could even see Snoke in this version trying to pit Jagged Fel and Kylo Ren against each other. A different take on the films. And there would be genuine fear from the heroes that Kylo Ren, Ben could be following the path of Jacen Solo. Something they'd want to try and prevent.

Like, something similar to B5, with the Drakh running half of the Centauri fleet to draw revenge fire to their world, I'd say in this proposed draft, that Snoke is using his influence to take over half of the Imperial Remnant, running shadow operations similar to what we've seen in the KOTOR games. Using assassin droids, black-ops agents, or even Force users. The Sith Eternal could be tied into Snoke here, rather than given to Palpatine. And you know, given all the heavy-handed EU references they dropped into the various legions, this becomes the backdrop to why with a Gen'dai's longer life experience and so much history to this new character of Snoke. This could maybe make more sense why he names his regiments Revan Legion, Andeddu Region, and so forth, which I found cringey. You get fanservice that makes sense, like if possibly the latest generation of HK droids serving the Sith Eternal came from the progenitor unit HK-47 thousands of years prior, with upgrades over the years. At this point, you could make them like the Kull Warriors from SG-1. That was one of my biggest complaints about the old EU. That technology does not change over the millennia. It's one area Disney canon tries to be better in. So this would be consistent to that.

Han Solo would get an interesting death that Mr. Ford had always wanted. Rather than perish in a battle, I think he could die from an illness, surrounded by family in bed. That would end his character beautifully. This cynical, rugged smuggler who reformed his ways has a peaceful ending. Though, you know, I'd have tried to make sure that last reunion scene was shot, even if it is pushed back into TLJ. This would subvert audience expectations in a stellar way, rather than changing somebody's character since you don't want to make up your own. Although imagine if this Kylo Ren kills his own uncle. That would be an interesting twist on what Jacen Solo did. Perhaps it is not intentional. Perhaps it drives him over to Snoke.

If Luke must head to Ahch-To, it'll be in connection to the evil posed by this revised version of Snoke. Exegol would easily serve as a staging ground for Snoke's fleet here, rather than the fleet that Palpatine used, and it would tie more effectively into this proposed scenario because with a Gen'dai's longer life span, it would make sense he could have been patiently building this fleet for decades. In my alternate continuity, he is secretly pirating money and resources away from the Imperial Remnant as I see it, and has been doing this back to the era of the former Galactic Empire under Palpatine. As to why this Snoke hasn't conquered the galaxy in all of this time, maybe don't make him a Sith Lord at all. He could be more like Kreia or Vergere. I think after a few millennia in seeing history repeat over and over to greater devastation, you get kind of jaded. And if Palpatine must return, we could say that Snoke was present during the events of the DET and had a secret clone of Palpatine made for himself, that he transferred his essence into when he was taken out by Brand, that Snoke enslaved to his own purposes, with Sidious always secretly plotting to take over again. The Starscream of the Sith Eternal.

What would I name this new trilogy?

The Force Awakens
The New Jedi
The Rise of Palpatine

This is just the basis for where I would head, mind you. It's a starting point. These ideas are not fully fleshed out, but I think it shows you could easily have told a far better story with the EU if you're just going to keep taking from it rather than without it. Seriously, picture this. Finn could easily become a general of the stormtrooper corps, or you know, even switch over to the GFFA like he did in in Disney canon, and become the counterpart to that. Poe Dameron could have a greater influence on events in his part in investigating the Snoke connection to the Imperial Remnant. Snoke has far more menace to him than I feel he had with how his character journey wound up in TLJ. And Rey keeps her identity as Jaina Solo and is made Grand Master of the New Jedi Order. We could have the maternal themes that Mr. Filoni wanted in a mother counseling her daughter to the challenges in leadership. As in essence, this whole trilogy becomes about a central female character who faces the trials Luke feels makes her the natural successor to him. Saving Kylo Ren, Ben, would be like him saving Darth Vader.

That's just me, though. But I want to hear what you guys think about it. How would you handle being showrunner to a new continuity of movies? Would you keep the EU and build off it, or nuke the whole thing like they did? Do you think there is something I'm missing here, or do you agree with the points I had made above? Do you like how I would handle the new movies? Or do you think it's complete horse hockey? Please, share in the replies down below, and I'll talk to ya guys again soon.
Winter
Captain

Re: How would you handle TFA & Disney SW? Discuss.

Post by Winter »

My sister and I got into a brain storm session and came up with a few ideas. For starts fixing the Villains and the main character as that's where most of the problems with the films exist. We came with a few rough ideas like keeping this in canon with the Old EU as Lucas took the time to incorporate the EU into his stories as shown in Clone Wars so we should follow suit.

We changed a few things like Chewie being alive instead of dead but Mara is still dead after the events of Legacy of the Force, (she's still my favorite character but for this story to work she had to remain dead) and Jaina as the main character. It starts with Jaina living in isolation after the events of LOTF as she is still coming to terms with the fact that her brothers and aunt are dead, her parents are barely talking, her uncle has gone into hiding she is trying to raise her niece in honor of the memory of her brother and not the monster he became.

Some might think that's might confuse anyone who hasn't read the stories post Return of the Jedi but the Disney Sequel Trilogy create the same problem when they had Han and Leia break up, had a kid who went over to the dark side, and had Luke abandon his duty to avoid responsibilities. So, really, the problem of creating a sequel to the Original Trilogy that features the original cast and with a new generation ready to take over is unavoidable so might as well take advantage of the lore that's been built up for over 20 years.

So, yeah, Jaina is the main character, still played by Daisy Ridley with and Ben Solo is the secondary protagonist and he would be played by Adam Driver. My sister included Poe as the adoptive son of Han and Leia as she really liked Poe at the start of the series and wanted to see him in this story so we have our new trio.

For anyone wonder about John Boyega we recasted him as Kyle Katarn so he can play a character who is actually well written and one that Boyega can use to the best of his abilities and would get adaptations of Dark Force games.

Back over to the Sequel Trilogy, the main villains would be Hux, Phasma (who I think should be reconnected as either a hyper skilled Jedi Hunter Killer or a Force Users but NOT a Sith) and in place of Kylo Ren we have the shadow killer. We don't yet have a name for her but to give you a basic idea of who she is basically picture Catra from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power with the Force and Lightsabers. Same morally grey character who you don't know if she will be redeemed or not but is a fascinating character regardless.

The core relationship is again between hero and villain with this one being between Jaina and Shadow with the latter being a dark reflection of the former but the main objective of Jaina is to protect her niece and her family as a whole and try to put her life back together.

To honor both Lucas' idea for Episode 7 it's about Jaina and Ben looking for Luke who is in self imposed exile after the loss of his wife. They manage to pull him out of his depression and convince him to help fight against a Rogue Nation known only as the Creed led by Chiss leader Hux and Phasma along with her apprentice Shadow.

Like Thrawn Hux is less reliant on Super Weapons and is more of a thinker and is capable of out thinking his enemies though he's not appose to using super weapons to gain any advantage he can get. This is best shown by the fact that his main ship throughout the Trilogy is an Eclipse Class ship which isn't properly dealt with until the end of the Trilogy and doesn't see much use throughout.

To honor Harrison Ford's wish Han will die but in the second chapter of the Trilogy by causing an explosion that takes out an entire nebula in order to deal a serious blow to Creed's fleet after they deal a serious blow to the Republic Fleet.

However, as the two sides fight, by the end of Episode 8 there are hints of another Yuuzhan Vong invasion which comes to pass by the end of Episode 9 thus leading into the true finally of the saga Episode 10. No one ever said this had to be a Trilogy and this would help to keep things different as the last remnants of the empire and the republic must work together to fight a foe that neither of them can over come alone.

Long story short, Phasma dies, Shadow is redeemed and lives to help make up for her past sins and while Jaina has lost her parents her uncle is still around and she's done her best to protect her niece. Hux makes peace with the Republic and the saga comes to a close without rendering the first two Trilogies pointless.

Some issues need to be worked out but I'd say that's a pretty solid first concept.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am My sister and I got into a brain storm session and came up with a few ideas. For starts fixing the Villains and the main character as that's where most of the problems with the films exist. We came with a few rough ideas like keeping this in canon with the Old EU as Lucas took the time to incorporate the EU into his stories as shown in Clone Wars so we should follow suit.
If you mean the 2008 Clone Wars, I don't think that is a particularly good example, since I consider that the warm-up to the Disney canon where continuity ultimately doesn't matter. For example, Maul came back, despite being bisected in half and dropped down a shaft. Prior to that point, he had been dead except in one N Canon comic. It's just one of the ways TCW disregarded canon so that we wound up with what we have now. Is it fun? Sure. So is Disney canon. The mantra for people like Mr. Martin, just enjoy and consume. But it also set the stage for doing whatever you want at the expense of the larger picture, which goes back to the lore's roots.

This may be an unpopular decision, but my thinking is that for any kind of consistent canon to proceed, whether it is in Legends or this new hypothetical canon, then you need to eject TCW down to the status of S Canon, and Imperial propaganda. It just did so much damage to all of the amazing little connections forged by the CW MMP, that you could not overcome it. But that is a discussion for another time.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am We changed a few things like Chewie being alive instead of dead but Mara is still dead after the events of Legacy of the Force, (she's still my favorite character but for this story to work she had to remain dead) and Jaina as the main character. It starts with Jaina living in isolation after the events of LOTF as she is still coming to terms with the fact that her brothers and aunt are dead, her parents are barely talking, her uncle has gone into hiding she is trying to raise her niece in honor of the memory of her brother and not the monster he became.
Building off my point above, how would Chewie still be alive? You just ignore that he had a moon dropped on him? I think Lowie would function in that role quite well. I mean, they killed off most of the legacy characters in the new movies anyway, so leaving him dead, I don't see an issue there, but I do see an issue in just pretending that it never happened and slapping a retcon onto this. I know SW's history is rife with those, but they should be avoided except as a last resort, and I don't think this would qualify just for nostalgic reasons or that one felt NJO was too "dark."

What is the context here? How is Chewie still alive? I mean, all he does is bark and howl, you can never understand him, hence why I went with Lowie. You literally don't lose a thing with him taking over the family-friendly Wookiee position for audiences, and it adds depth to all the events that came before, since actions have consequences. Jaina going into isolation can be more plausible, depending on where you go after the 2012 sale. And I honestly think it would make more sense to her character better than Luke ever fit into that role, like trying to push a square peg into a round hole.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am Some might think that's might confuse anyone who hasn't read the stories post Return of the Jedi but the Disney Sequel Trilogy create the same problem when they had Han and Leia break up, had a kid who went over to the dark side, and had Luke abandon his duty to avoid responsibilities. So, really, the problem of creating a sequel to the Original Trilogy that features the original cast and with a new generation ready to take over is unavoidable so might as well take advantage of the lore that's been built up for over 20 years.
It confuses me because again, are you just going to ignore that Chewie had a moon dropped on him? You bring him back, but not Mara? Are you relegating the old EU to S Canon? Because that's to an extent what the new owners have done, without even knowing what S Canon is.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am So, yeah, Jaina is the main character, still played by Daisy Ridley with and Ben Solo is the secondary protagonist and he would be played by Adam Driver. My sister included Poe as the adoptive son of Han and Leia as she really liked Poe at the start of the series and wanted to see him in this story so we have our new trio.
I also think for my scenario above, they could be played by the same actors, and the added benefit is you have the new actors reading the books on-set, to get a better grasp on their characters. IIRC, the HP actors were doing the same thing, but I could be wrong. Ms. Ridley works for the more aggressive vibes that comes with being Sword of the Jedi, and Adam Driver is a powerhouse. As to Poe, for this scenario, he was never mentioned or alluded to once in the prior material. Are you going the Ahsoka route and shoehorning this character in and expecting people to believe that? I think those practices need to be avoided going forward, since it contributed to the larger canon breakdown in 2008 and it will continue to do so if left unchecked.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am For anyone wonder about John Boyega we recasted him as Kyle Katarn so he can play a character who is actually well written and one that Boyega can use to the best of his abilities and would get adaptations of Dark Force games.
Again, are you treating the EU as S Canon? Because, erm... Kyle Kataran is white. Why not cast him in the role of a Kyle Katarn-like figure? Or if this is set years after LOTF, then he could be Lando's son. Why not? Plus you stave off accusations of an SJW agenda, which could easily be made.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am Back over to the Sequel Trilogy, the main villains would be Hux, Phasma (who I think should be reconnected as either a hyper skilled Jedi Hunter Killer or a Force Users but NOT a Sith) and in place of Kylo Ren we have the shadow killer. We don't yet have a name for her but to give you a basic idea of who she is basically picture Catra from She-Ra and the Princesses of Power with the Force and Lightsabers. Same morally grey character who you don't know if she will be redeemed or not but is a fascinating character regardless.
More Phasma. H to the yeah! She was so wasted. Would Hux be a general in the Imperial Remnant? What is this shadow killer's history? For now, let's just use Kylo Ren as a placeholder. You could do so much. Perhaps... it's a she, yes? Perhaps she had trained at the Praxeum, same as in Disney canon, or is a holdout from the Shadow Academy, as several students had been sent onto a training camp on an Imperial world and had been left forgotten by Imperial authorities. That could work if Phasma came to recruit them, and they would have a bitter grudge against both the Jedi and the Remnant.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am The core relationship is again between hero and villain with this one being between Jaina and Shadow with the latter being a dark reflection of the former but the main objective of Jaina is to protect her niece and her family as a whole and try to put her life back together.

To honor both Lucas' idea for Episode 7 it's about Jaina and Ben looking for Luke who is in self imposed exile after the loss of his wife. They manage to pull him out of his depression and convince him to help fight against a Rogue Nation known only as the Creed led by Chiss leader Hux and Phasma along with her apprentice Shadow.
Is Hux a Chiss here? You seemed to imply he was. I'd be fine with that as a retcon, since it's overriding Disney continuity. :lol: Is he played by the same actor? Who are the Creed? Are they based within the Unknown Regions? Is it Chiss or something else? Maybe an alliance of the Ssi-ruuk and the Chiss? Kinda like the GFFA. Though IMO, it would be a tenuous alliance, at best, because the Ssi-ruuk just want to harvest more bodies for their entechment technology, and the Chiss would have their own reasons.

There is another issue I have here. Why wouldn't Luke go into exile much earlier? You seem to be treating the EU as S Canon, which you know, is what TCW had also done in 2008. It's why the old EU was breaking apart at the seams because employees like Mr. Hidalgo had wanted a reboot since 2006, Mr. Filoni gave light lip-service to the EU, and Mr. Lucas stopped caring for some reason if he ever did at all. And I feel, no offense intended, if you're relegating the EU to S Canon, then it's not holding the final product to a higher standard.

I mean, for a similar example, take the Pokemon anime. It's just got ridiculous and I'd say it insults your intelligence, with Ash still being 10 years old, a progression of time, and yet, every new region, they hit the reset button. It wouldn't be that hard to work a patch job to it, but they choose not to do so. In relegating the EU to S Canon, I think it ends up causing the same issues that were brewing since TCW and continued under Disney. Continuity means nothing. Canon means nothing. Pick and choose, like a salad bar. What the original EU did for the G Canon, SG-1, SGA, and SGU did for just one movie. TCW was a retread we did not need that Mr. Filoni even wanted to be a new continuity, since the EU "boxed him in" creatively, and it's what Disney's done. If continuity means nothing, what hope is there for the spin-off media? Especially when many creators have their own interpretations. And I have always found the spin-off media more interesting.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am Like Thrawn Hux is less reliant on Super Weapons and is more of a thinker and is capable of out thinking his enemies though he's not appose to using super weapons to gain any advantage he can get. This is best shown by the fact that his main ship throughout the Trilogy is an Eclipse Class ship which isn't properly dealt with until the end of the Trilogy and doesn't see much use throughout.
I want to say this. Thank you for not bringing Thrawn back, but making up your own character here. Though he has Thrawn vibes, and is there anything to offset that, so that he is not a complete clone of him?
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am To honor Harrison Ford's wish Han will die but in the second chapter of the Trilogy by causing an explosion that takes out an entire nebula in order to deal a serious blow to Creed's fleet after they deal a serious blow to the Republic Fleet.
Wow. :shock:
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am However, as the two sides fight, by the end of Episode 8 there are hints of another Yuuzhan Vong invasion which comes to pass by the end of Episode 9 thus leading into the true finally of the saga Episode 10. No one ever said this had to be a Trilogy and this would help to keep things different as the last remnants of the empire and the republic must work together to fight a foe that neither of them can over come alone.
I'd support this 100%. The Vong need more love! :)
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am Long story short, Phasma dies, Shadow is redeemed and lives to help make up for her past sins and while Jaina has lost her parents her uncle is still around and she's done her best to protect her niece. Hux makes peace with the Republic and the saga comes to a close without rendering the first two Trilogies pointless.
Wait, how did Leia die? The same as in canon? As to this scenario, Hux could become the new leader of the Chiss! That's assuming he is a Chiss, since I got a bit confused there. Or perhaps he takes over the Creed as an independent state in the Unknown Regions, the new counterpart of the GFFA. That's assuming, of course, it isn't an alliance of Unknown Regions powers as I'd suggested, because if it is, well, the Ssi-ruuk would make that impossible.
Winter wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am Some issues need to be worked out but I'd say that's a pretty solid first concept.
I'd agree. Do I have a few issues? Sure. But at the end of the day, I'd rate yours a solid 7 out of 10. What would you rate mine?
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

As I'm a casual fan....I'd dump everything "EU" or whatever.

I've read the old novels and the Marvel Comic...but not too much else. So i'm fine with dumping everything....but Especially the Silly For Kidz Star Wars Cartoons.

I love the Maldorian...but hate all the Cute Kidz Cartoon Crap they insist on putting in the show.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Zargon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:56 am As I'm a casual fan....I'd dump everything "EU" or whatever.

I've read the old novels and the Marvel Comic...but not too much else. So i'm fine with dumping everything....but Especially the Silly For Kidz Star Wars Cartoons.

I love the Maldorian...but hate all the Cute Kidz Cartoon Crap they insist on putting in the show.
I mean, that's an entirely fair and valid viewpoint. You have no personal attachment to it, though I can respect that you don't claim a majority of it is bad with your own admission you only perused a portion of it, since that's purely subjective and you lack familiarity past those.

"Cute Kidz Cartoon Crap" being...? I mean, I agree with the sentiment, but I'd like you to clarify a bit.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Well, anything Star Wars animated like the cartoon Droids or all the newer cartoons, not really sure of the names. If it's animated, it's for kids(not that they can't make adult animation, it's just that they won't).

And are they really making a Rogue One show? So, er, everyone survived death? Or will they all come back as ghosts or something?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Zargon wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 pm Well, anything Star Wars animated like the cartoon Droids or all the newer cartoons, not really sure of the names. If it's animated, it's for kids(not that they can't make adult animation, it's just that they won't).

And are they really making a Rogue One show? So, er, everyone survived death? Or will they all come back as ghosts or something?
Yeah, I think you're trying to say S Canon and T Canon there, my friend, though T Canon has its own new lofty place in the DC, which works for the world it set up more than it ever did for the EU.

There are rumors that they plan to make a new show about Luke training students at his Jedi academy and calling it New Jedi Order, helmed by Mr. Abrams. While taking this with a grain on salt on paper it sounds like an interesting idea full of rich possibilities for the new SW universe, but I have two points to bring up.

1. This is just for branding purposes. It's to draw back people with nostalgia. It's not NJO. That could lead to potential fan criticism getting transformed into a fandom backlash that LF cannot hear and just ignore.
2. The sequels have locked in the path Luke is going to go on, unless they retcon it, which is a huge can of worms I would not support unless it is executed skillfully.

I could accept a Luke Skywalker who's grown old and bitter, especially if his attempt to rebuild the Jedi failed. I just disagree with Mr. Johnson's interpretation, since I feel that any past lore, the EU, is effectively null and void in DC. It is a clean slate to build upon. Luke's portrayal could have worked a lot better, and it was near-perfect for an anti-nostalgia film among a mass nostalgia market. It just needed to stick the landing more. I don't buy Luke having a moment of weakness like that as presented, with two points I'll bring up again.

1. He did not give up on his father. His gamble paid off.
2. He was proven wrong since Kylo Reen was redeemed in the end.

If he went onto that path from genuine betrayal, however, that a new Darth Vader had emerged that he had a hand in creating, just not a direct one, and show this villain being a far worse menace than Vader ever was in perhaps taking out dozens if not hundreds of important planets, well, it could have worked far more effectively, And he just gets tired of history repeating. A lot of his points about the Jedi are valid. But they did not have to turn him into a slobbering caveman to do that. It's why I walked out of the movie theater halfway through. I just think a near-perfect movie that botches the execution when it has a clever concept is worse than one that was doomed from the start, like ROTF.

To bring this back on topic, I feel that there is a chance here to more effectively execute that portrayal of Luke, which is potentially NuNJO's greatest advantage. The downside is that I have to wonder if in some ways that is going to mean more retcons, and that will just damage the aspect of the spin-off franchise past the breaking point. That is what they want to focus on, in terms of mass profiting. The spin-off media, tied into the movies, like the old EU was. But if there is no continuity, what is the point? That always made the EU stand heads and shoulders above the other SF spin-offs for its era. It was this shared world they lived in.

And though this show sounds tempting, I'm not confident Mr. Abrams or someone else like Mr. Filoni could pull it off in a way to both line up with the continuity that the ST has established as well as do something new as it builds on the ideas there while toning down the overblown excesses of TLJ. Most especially if they are still shackled to the need to cater to nostalgia in some way due to the demands of the market and corporate limitations. But I'm sure it will still be a good to decent to above average joyride, if you can accept it on its terms, and if it is overseen by Mr. Filoni no doubt the graphics and effects will be mind-blowing as we are seeing with TCW S7, assuming it gets made at all. But with the leaks for TROS, anything goes.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

It's not that hard, just make like part 10 and 11 as well and plan it out accordingly lol.

Oh noes we have to make it 7 8 9 because 4 5 6 1 2 3 oh well just make it stupid.
..What mirror universe?
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I think episode 7 should have been about Luke coming full circle, kinda like Anakin did it ANH when he tells Obi-Wan "I was the student now i am the master." So for the 7 film, we have Luke becoming the master, more like Obi-Wan, playing Merlin to Rey's Arthur.

So while this story would be about Luke, it would be clear from the beginning that this is his final adventure. He is an old warrior who's time has ended and all that is left is to pass the torch to the next generation.

There would even be a scene where Luke is preparing to sacrifice himself to save Rey, just as Obi-Wan did in ANH, but Rey turns the tables and is able to save him before they make their escape.

The last scene would be Luke recovery from his wounds while discussing the situation with Leia and Han who are revealed to be Rey's parents. Rey says good bye to her parents and uncle who wish her luck then watch her, Finn and Chewie flying off into the distance.

Perhaps the very last show of the film would be Luke, Leia and Han threw the window of a ship around a planet with the sun sinking behind it; the heroes of the classic trilogy heading off into the sunset.
Captain Crimson
Captain

phantom000 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:50 pm I think episode 7 should have been about Luke coming full circle, kinda like Anakin did it ANH when he tells Obi-Wan "I was the student now i am the master." So for the 7 film, we have Luke becoming the master, more like Obi-Wan, playing Merlin to Rey's Arthur.

So while this story would be about Luke, it would be clear from the beginning that this is his final adventure. He is an old warrior who's time has ended and all that is left is to pass the torch to the next generation.

There would even be a scene where Luke is preparing to sacrifice himself to save Rey, just as Obi-Wan did in ANH, but Rey turns the tables and is able to save him before they make their escape.

The last scene would be Luke recovery from his wounds while discussing the situation with Leia and Han who are revealed to be Rey's parents. Rey says good bye to her parents and uncle who wish her luck then watch her, Finn and Chewie flying off into the distance.

Perhaps the very last show of the film would be Luke, Leia and Han threw the window of a ship around a planet with the sun sinking behind it; the heroes of the classic trilogy heading off into the sunset.
That would be one approach. However, we do know from The Rise of Skywalker visual dictionary that many in the story group had wanted to shift the focus from Luke to Leia, to subvert our expectations from the-get go and bring in the matriarchy, with all its healing and rebirth themes, and I can only assume that when Ms. Fisher died, RIP, that they instead decided to double down and make it about Rey. Not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but with the eleventh hour shake-up taking place for TROS, it is evident as day many of the creative staff took many of the same issues with TLJ which the majority fans who disliked it had.