Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

Post by Captain Crimson »

Yeah, been too busy to really post consistently lately, but I'm back, with yet another thread, and this time I figured I'd drop in something I see on a lot of other wikis and messageboards, it is asking you, all the users on Mr. Chuck's forums, what is an unpopular opinion you have that goes against the grain of fandom or the conventional wisdom?

I'll list one that I think is probably sure to get me a lot of backlash from SW fans, but... I have to say it. For me personally, I think the TT, Thrawn Trilogy, is overrated. Perhaps this is just within the context of modern Disney SW where I'm absolutely convinced Thrawn will be coming back, either in TM or a Rebels spin-off, and with all this new canon and Legends Thrawn content, why not just let him finally meet his fate and die? Or do something new and interesting, like putting him in charge of a faction of the Empire that will become the First Order? Perhaps that is not consistent to Disney canon, but it's not like it's the first retcon, and it won't be the last. But yeah, back to topic, while I appreciate what the TT did for SW and the EU, I think it's blown completely out of proportion by fans who haven't read it in years, and it wouldn't even be in my top 10 pick for favorite EU or Legends stories, though that might just be me.

But I wanna hear what you guys think? Do you share my opinion, and feel Thrawn is overrated? Or do you believe I'm utterly wrong? Share your thoughts to why! Is there something else for Disney SW that you have an unpopular opinion, or maybe something related to other SF, like ST, or DW, or B5, or SG, or BSG? Lemme know in the comments below, smash out a reply, and I'll talk to you again soon.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Episode 2 is a great Star Wars movie.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

Post by GreyICE »

I don't know how the Thrawn Trilogy is really rated. I remember reading it when it came out, and one of the things it did (along with the Star Wars RPG) was show us that there was a lot of stories left to tell in the Star Wars universe. It made the universe feel bigger. The enemy acknowledged some of the flaws of the empire (the grandiosity, the racism) while having his own flaws, and being equally awful. It made you really respect how big a galaxy was, and how much was going on, and what a small part of it ultimately the Empire and the Rebellion were.

Was it the best written? Eh... I don't know. Mara Jade miiiight be a teensy bit of a Mary Sue if we remove some blinders. Thrawn was just Rommel (at least if you read Rommel's books, and press releases - man was one of the biggest self-promoters in military history). But oh well, I love the Star Wars OC, and for me none of the new stuff exists (I have never seen Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker, and that will probably remain true forever). I can run Edge of the Empire in the universe I love, and that's enough for me.

My unpopular opinion: the Netflix Witcher show was much, much worse than the books, and the way it was filmed and directed indicate a critical lack of understanding. They entirely failed to capture what made the books great. Hell, I can just break down everything wrong with it by asking anyone who watched the show: Episode 1, Butcher of Blaviken. What happens if Geralt follows his rule, leaves humans to humans, and doesn't interfere in Blaviken? The book makes it clear at the end, did the show?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Are we sticking only to speculative fiction opinions here (we're in sci-fi and fantasy, not general discussion) or any?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Riedquat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 pm Are we sticking only to speculative fiction opinions here (we're in sci-fi and fantasy, not general discussion) or any?
That was kinda my intent, yeah. As it could all too easily be hijacked into a sociopolitical discussion or something like a commentary on celebrities or something more.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

That'd be depressing. Lets stick to things that don't cause that much strife, like the fact that NETFLIX WITCHER SUCKS :D
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:08 am Episode 2 is a great Star Wars movie.
It would have been had it been Episode 1 and we'd gotten a proper Episode 2 that showed off the meat of the Civil War before the 3rd concluded it.

The Phantom Menace should have been an unattached establishing movie disconnected from "the trilogy".

That might be an unpopular opinion, depending on how the contrarian winds are blowing now, but Star Wars could very well have been hobbled, and continues to be hobbled, by the trilogy obsession.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Alright, but if they'd launched their first Star Wars movie in like 20 years and it was a goddamn spin off prequel there would have been riots.

Yes, seeing how the phantom menace turned out that might have been the right choice, but I don't think they set out to make one of the most widely mocked movies in all of history.

Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

GreyICE wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:19 am Alright, but if they'd launched their first Star Wars movie in like 20 years and it was a goddamn spin off prequel there would have been riots.

Yes, seeing how the phantom menace turned out that might have been the right choice, but I don't think they set out to make one of the most widely mocked movies in all of history.
Not a spin off, but an establishing movie. We see Anakin as a kid and lay the groundwork for the trilogy to come without it hogging the first spot forcing the meat of the trilogy into an awkward duology.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Batman couldn't defeat Stephen King's IT.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville