Is Seyka a Fascist?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Is Seyka a Fascist?

Post by Winter »

Ladies, Gentlemen and Nonbinary members of the Internet, I present to you, one of the DUMBEST comments I've ever read.
Y'know, it's a damned shame that the devs didn't think about Sekya's character concept and social coding, because when you actually think about her background and attitude, she actually reads as more than a bit of a fascist.
And for your entertainment my reaction to this.

Now for my actual response.

Seyka displays nothing that could be even remotely fascist!

Here are the defining traits of fascist

Powerful and Continuing Nationalism

Sekya does NOT make us of

Patriotic mottos
Slogans
Symbols
Songs
Flags

Disregard for Human Rights

Treats Aloy with respect and does not show any signs of treating anyone outside the Quen as less then human, even working with Aloy the moment she meets her.

Identification of Enemies as a Unifying Cause

She has a common enemy with Aloy against Londra but that's because he's a direct threat to her and others.

Supremacy of the Military

Seyka is a proud marine but she shows no sign that she views the Military (or Navy in this case) as anything special.

Widespread Sexism

I don't think I need to elaborate on this one. And no she's not sexist towards men and the only ones she shows any dislike for are ones who are a threat to her or treat her with disrespect.

Controlled Mass Media

No sign that she does this and even if she did she went against it when she put on a focus,

Obsession with National Security

She's trying to insure her fleets safety but that's only because there are so few people left and those left aren't actually helpful.

Religion and Government are Intertwined

She actually speaks out against her tribe so that's already a no.

Corporate Power is Protected

Wears a Focus despite it being forbidden for anyone other then a Diviner to do so and is against those who are trying to prevent her from doing so,

Labor Power is Suppressed

Haven't seen anything on this so will leave it blank.

Disrespect for Intellectuals and the Arts

Shows RESPECT for Aloy, an intellectual, and the "Art" of the amusement park.

Obsession with Crime and Punishment

She never shows any sign of wanting to punish anyone for any crimes they break.

Rampant Cronyism and Corruption

Yes, Seyka wishes to protect her sister but from an outside threat NOT her own tribe

Fraudulent Elections

This has nothing to do with anything so let's move on.

I've seen this comment popup a few times when some have tried to justify their dislike of Seyka and Aloy's romantic interest in her but since there's nothing actually wrong with the two's relationship they go for this idea that Seyka is a Fascist because they're idiots. Again the Quen does show signs of Fascism but not everyone in the Quen is a Fascist just like though the Nazies came from Germany not all Germans were Nazies.

This idiot's whole argument is "If you to actually stop and think about Seyka and her character" but when you actually do that IT SHOWS THAT SHE'S NOT A FASCIST!!!

Sorry I just HAD to rant about this because it was so stupid that I needed to get it out of my system or it was going to bug me forever. Just, Ugh!!!

https://i.gifer.com/2Bi.mp4
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Is Seyka a Fascist?

Post by Madner Kami »

Who?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:16 amWho?
Companion in Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores DLC and Aloy's love interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIocPm5ufc

Long story short there was a lot of backlash from stupid people which I haven't talked about much but this one was just so stupid that I had to say something.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Were these the same people that were throwing a fit because Aloy had vellus hair like most humans?
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean, I think everyone in Horizon's world sucks.

Including Alloy.

But it's a post-apocalypse Neo-Primitivist society with no history from our world.

Of course they're going to suck.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:35 am Were these the same people that were throwing a fit because Aloy had vellus hair like most humans?
Yup, those idiots.