The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by clearspira »

Its early days yet but The Marvels is currently tracking to be worse than The Flash. And even if it does get legs, I'm hearing that budget+reshoots combined is around 250-300 million. Add marketing onto that and cinema take and this film will probably need to make in the region of 600 million to break even. In no universe is it going to reach that even if Disney starts buying its own tickets again (not a conspiracy, it has happened).

And speaking of marketing, did anyone see the cat stream? Where it was literally a room full of cats purring, licking themselves and sleeping whilst someone creepily caressed a Captain Marvel Funko Pop? Seriously, check that shit out on YouTube if you haven't seen it. Who in the actual hell thought that was a good idea?

The M-She-U is an absolute failure. It didn't need to be a failure - but i can tell you exactly why it became one: Phase 1-3 was for everyone. Phase 4-5 was made for Gen Z women. And I am going to rest my case here on a single photo:

This was the exact moment that they lost their male audience forever. Who like it or not, is the principle audience of superhero films and always has been. The future is the announced return of RDJ, it is Deadpool, it is Hugh Jackman for this very reason. The damage is done though. And may still continue. Anyone hear what the Blade reboot was going to be and may still be? An all female cast with Blade as number four billing in his own movie. I shit you not, look it up.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: The Marvels and the death of the M-She-U

Post by hammerofglass »

I don't want to step on any toes since there's men here that don't need me to speak for them but that really is some patronizing misandrist garbage. Your absolute insistence that men are a monolith and too dumb and shallow to enjoy anything that isn't directly and exclusively pandering to them is just so unbelievably sexist.

If a woman said what you're saying you'd be furious.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I mean how dare we have women in the limelight. It should be like in Shakespeare where even women were play by men.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:40 pm I don't want to step on any toes since there's men here that don't need me to speak for them but that really is some patronizing misandrist garbage. Your absolute insistence that men are a monolith and too dumb and shallow to enjoy anything that isn't directly and exclusively pandering to them is just so unbelievably sexist.

If a woman said what you're saying you'd be furious.
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:41 am I mean how dare we have women in the limelight. It should be like in Shakespeare where even women were play by men.
Why are you guys interacting with him? You know he just wants attention.

And really the best way to make people stop complaining about "Woke" is to stop indulging the people who are only talking about it because it gets them attention. It's just another hot button topic because most of the people complaining about it have nothing better to do so might as well complain about this.

And keep in mind that clearspira likely hasn't seen the movie in the first place so this is just another bad faith review so it shouldn't be acknowledged in the first place.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

We're bored.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Got nothing better to do tonight.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I thought She Hulk was great as a satire.

Really they're reshooting Daredevil to make it more like the Netflix version, I'm not worried about where MCU is going.
..What mirror universe?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:02 am We're bored.
hammerofglass wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:04 am Got nothing better to do tonight.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Yep.

So far, everyone is saying how much they enjoy THE MARVELS and it is a fantastic movie.

Which is what I expected.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I honestly have issues with She Hulk. Not the charscter but the TV series.

Everything else? Yeah bullshit.

I will hold my review of The Marvel's until I actually see the movie.
I got nothing to say here.