Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by Draco Dracul »

Frustration wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:45 pm You're taking the very worst elements of a very diverse group, and then stereotyping the entire group as though they were the nutter loonies.
I'm not talking about random assholes online or even people like this would be assassin. I'm talking about people with real political power like Ron DeSantis or the governor of my state Greg Abbot. Many republican voters don't really believe that the republican party is doing the things that, but what the voters want doesn't actually matter because we live in an oligarchy.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by hammerofglass »

So who had "Paul Pelosi's spurned lover" as the narrative the GOP would go with?
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:13 am
Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:27 pm
Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:27 pm That looks like another case of "I've got my prejudice and I'll assume everyone there conforms with it."
Most political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
And because of that it appears that some find it impossible to imagine that anyone with views to the right of theirs can have any sort of decency at all.

That sort of attitude is exactly the sort of prejudice and intolerance that the very same people spend a lot of time condemning.
Nobody went into Mitch McConnell's house to kill him with a hammer. I say mean things about Republicans, Republicans try to kill Democrats. We are not the same.
Aside from the guy who was looking to assasinate Justice Kavanaugh a few months ago. The GOP campaign worker run down a couple weeks ago. The Bernie Sanders supporter who tried to gun down over a dozen GOP Senators and Representatives as they practiced for the Congressonal baseball game. The idea that Democrats never try to kill Republicans is another example that the Left has no history, anything embarrassing gets memory holed.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am
Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:27 pm That looks like another case of "I've got my prejudice and I'll assume everyone there conforms with it."
Most political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
And because of that it appears that some find it impossible to imagine that anyone with views to the right of theirs can have any sort of decency at all.

That sort of attitude is exactly the sort of prejudice and intolerance that the very same people spend a lot of time condemning.
Nobody went into Mitch McConnell's house to kill him with a hammer. I say mean things about Republicans, Republicans try to kill Democrats. We are not the same.
Aside from the guy who was looking to assasinate Justice Kavanaugh a few months ago. The GOP campaign worker run down a couple weeks ago. The Bernie Sanders supporter who tried to gun down over a dozen GOP Senators and Representatives as they practiced for the Congressonal baseball game. The idea that Democrats never try to kill Republicans is another example that the Left has no history, anything embarrassing gets memory holed.
I'ma Democrat and I've never tried to do that.
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

You may have Memory Holed the fact that you Memory Holed, to borrow the phrase borrowed from Orwell.

More importantly, you likely have specific claims and your general positions on things derived from people who have Memory Holed.

Every group wants to believe it is virtuous and pure. And there's always the Fundamental Attribution Error, which current psychology holds in inherent in every human being.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:39 pm
Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:39 am

I'ma Democrat and I've never tried to do that.
Sure, and 99.9%+ of Republicans can say they never tried to do anything similar to what De Pape did as well.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Frustration wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm You may have Memory Holed the fact that you Memory Holed, to borrow the phrase borrowed from Orwell.

More importantly, you likely have specific claims and your general positions on things derived from people who have Memory Holed.

Every group wants to believe it is virtuous and pure. And there's always the Fundamental Attribution Error, which current psychology holds in inherent in every human being.
We're great, the other side is evil scum.

The problem is that even when the weight of evidence tends towards painting one side as considerably more unpleasant than the other that sort of pigeonholing is still incredibly unhelpful, and is precisely why divisions that should've vanished years ago remain, and why new ones still get created.

We do like to label people, chuck them in to groups, and pretend that describes them, instead of saying "This is so-and-so, who also happens to have this and that view, be this and that etc." Some people are irredeemable arseholes. Some groups attract more of them than others. But "...and therefore I'll just treat that whole group as scum" though is basic prejudice and discrimination, precisely where every bit of pointless crap like that got started.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

"What makes a man turn neutral? Is it power... women? Or are you just born with a heart full of neutrality..."
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Frustration wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm You may have Memory Holed the fact that you Memory Holed, to borrow the phrase borrowed from Orwell.

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I should point out that I live in Kentucky.

I think the part that pisses me off most is the closing ranks element of all this. 90% of the people I know are Republicans and I don't think they're criminals or against democracy. I do think the LEADERSHIP of the Republican party is criminal and Trump in particular. Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul have tried to run this country into the ground, my state they've succeeded in, and I could list all day their repulsive policies.

I can hate THESE people without hating the other side and yes I am bewildered why the GOP as a whole keep rallying behind these people.