Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by Riedquat »

CmdrKing wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:06 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:20 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:16 am
Honestly I'm surprised republicans are even pretending to condemn it rather than calling it a false flag operation or blaming it on anti-fascists.
Why?
Pattern recognition.
That looks like another case of "I've got my prejudice and I'll assume everyone there conforms with it."
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: Nancy Pelosi suspected assassination attempt; husband held prisoner and assaulted with hammer at home

Post by Draco Dracul »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:27 pm That looks like another case of "I've got my prejudice and I'll assume everyone there conforms with it."
Most political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:06 pm By all that is sane... This will not be an isolated incident, will it? I need to redouble my efforts to either move to the West Coast or to emigrate to Canada. The South will NOT be safe for folks like me if these psychos take power.
This happened in California.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Jonathan101 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:11 pm
ProfessorDetective wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:06 pm By all that is sane... This will not be an isolated incident, will it? I need to redouble my efforts to either move to the West Coast or to emigrate to Canada. The South will NOT be safe for folks like me if these psychos take power.
This happened in California.
Fair point. Make that the NORTHwest Coast. Honestly, anywhere that ain't ruby red will do.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pm
Riedquat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:27 pm That looks like another case of "I've got my prejudice and I'll assume everyone there conforms with it."
Most political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
And because of that it appears that some find it impossible to imagine that anyone with views to the right of theirs can have any sort of decency at all.

That sort of attitude is exactly the sort of prejudice and intolerance that the very same people spend a lot of time condemning.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pm
Black Lives Matter setting fire to every state in the US for months.

We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Draco Dracul wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:39 pmMost political violence in the US has been carried out by the right wing. The only year where home grown right terrorists weren't responsible for the majority of pilitical murders was 2001.
There was a time when the stereotypical terrorist was a bomb-throwing left-wing anarchist.

I think you have a very limited view of history.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

It's not an isolated incident NOW. Also, there have been many planned assassination attempts on Nancy Pelosi already.

Pipe bombs, anthrax, guys with supplies of guns, January 6th.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:31 am
It's not an isolated incident NOW. Also, there have been many planned assassination attempts on Nancy Pelosi already.

Pipe bombs, anthrax, guys with supplies of guns, January 6th.
Again, fair. I guess the sheer brutality of this is standing out to me as significant. Feels like an escalation when it really isn't. This psycho just got closer than most and actually hurt Pelosi, though more indirectly than he was hoping for.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

clearspira wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:35 pm Black Lives Matter setting fire to every state in the US for months.

Well excuse me for thinking that living, breathing people are more important than property.