Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

Post by hammerofglass »

Apparently RFK jr waited so long to bend the knee to Trump that he can't get his name off the ballot in a few swing states.

The incompetence of the Trump and Kennedy campaigns continue to amaze.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So apparently if everything had gone as planned for his Arlington trip Trump was trying to present it as a planned memorial that the Biden administration snubbed.

What I don't get is, if they were planning on telling an easily disproven complete lie like that why bother with photoshoot at all? Much less on-location where you have to break the law. Unless showcasing that you can shirk the law and desecrate the holiest ground in American civil religion without suffering any repercussions was the actual goal, but given the way they're panicking and backpedaling it doesn't seem like it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:40 pm So apparently if everything had gone as planned for his Arlington trip Trump was trying to present it as a planned memorial that the Biden administration snubbed.

What I don't get is, if they were planning on telling an easily disproven complete lie like that why bother with photoshoot at all? Much less on-location where you have to break the law. Unless showcasing that you can shirk the law and desecrate the holiest ground in American civil religion without suffering any repercussions was the actual goal, but given the way they're panicking and backpedaling it doesn't seem like it.
More likely Trump thought it was cool, and the yes-men he surround himself with wasn't willing to tell him that wrong until it already happen.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

The dude HATES the troops and wanted to show how much he hated them. I don't think any president hated the troops more than Donnie. Not the military, just the actual people who do the work of the military that don't give him money. The man ignored active hunts, abandoned soldiers constantly, gave the Taliban Afghanistan, and calls them losers. I know Bush got more soldiers killed than Trump but damn, I never suspected Bush was a puppet for foreign powers. Trump is doing everything to weaken America so its easier for his daddy Putin to come in and stomp things. Maybe Trump hates soldiers so much cause he knew he was chickenshit when he was drafted, and hated the thousands who weren't little daddy worshipping creeps.

Or maybe the fact that since the civil war, we have black soldiers. That may have terrified him that a black soldier would gun him down from the back... and it's an opinion I can agree with Trump. Knowing him longer than 3 minutes, yeah... that's a concern to have.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CmdrKing wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:33 pmAny complexity here is born purely OF the fact that the entire thing has been allowed to carry on unaddressed for 70-odd years.
I mean, that's typically how complexity works. "Should there be one or two Koreas" or "Should a vicious dictator be in charge of a country" aren't terribly complex. Actually implementing these are horribly complicated by the fact that we're dealing with decades of history and decisions made for various reasons.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

What a strange thing to respond with. Like, those aren't comparable situations at all. Each Korea has plenty of internal problems, but their issues between one another are born from many factors beyond any actual disagreements between them. Removing dictators without making things worse has a long history of being incredibly difficult, creating a great deal of complexity.

What makes Israel complicated is that they've been told for 70 years that it's acceptable, even desirable, to indiscriminately murder the people whose country they invaded. So after that length of time, nobody trust them if they pinky swear to stop, and also the numerical majority of their government actively encourages as many citizens as possible to keep at it. That's it.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:44 am What a strange thing to respond with. Like, those aren't comparable situations at all. Each Korea has plenty of internal problems, but their issues between one another are born from many factors beyond any actual disagreements between them. Removing dictators without making things worse has a long history of being incredibly difficult, creating a great deal of complexity.

What makes Israel complicated is that they've been told for 70 years that it's acceptable, even desirable, to indiscriminately murder the people whose country they invaded. So after that length of time, nobody trust them if they pinky swear to stop, and also the numerical majority of their government actively encourages as many citizens as possible to keep at it. That's it.
Oh, I thought you were implying that the solution should be, "Israel shouldn't exist" and that'd be basically impossible to implement, on the level of regime change.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

TGLS wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 2:58 pm
CmdrKing wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:44 am What a strange thing to respond with. Like, those aren't comparable situations at all. Each Korea has plenty of internal problems, but their issues between one another are born from many factors beyond any actual disagreements between them. Removing dictators without making things worse has a long history of being incredibly difficult, creating a great deal of complexity.

Oh, I thought you were implying that the solution should be, "Israel shouldn't exist" and that'd be basically impossible to implement, on the level of regime change.
I believe her position has been Israel should allow for complete autonomy of Palestine. Unless of course her comprehensive point by point basis of stand-off resolution has changed in the months since posting here.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:40 pm So apparently if everything had gone as planned for his Arlington trip Trump was trying to present it as a planned memorial that the Biden administration snubbed.

OK. Remember that Arlington has set rules. Common sense ones too if you think about it. No photography in certain parts of it especially the one where Trump was at because it's the area used for the most recently buried. You don't use Arlington for political campaign reasons. As in what Trump did.

You certainly don't assault one of the employees for the site who decided that what she was seeing was against the rules.

Lastly it's bad taste overall. I am probably missing other things here too.

But it is par for course for Trump. He would probably pose next to a corpse with a smile and a thumbs up saying 'Biden caused this' and his supporters would be all on his side about it.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Notable childless cat lady Taylor Swift endorsed Harris right after the debate.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/artic ... e-cat-lady