Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Trump vs Biden^H^H^H^H^H Harris: Kamala Rising

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Oh, okay then.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Okay, she may be complicit in the ongoing genocide, but holy shit? LOWER GROCERY PRICES? MONEY FOR FIRST TIME HOME BUYERS?

THAT sounds like something that might actually have a MEASUREABLE POSITIVE EFFECT on my daily life!
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:49 am Okay, she may be complicit in the ongoing genocide, but holy shit? LOWER GROCERY PRICES? MONEY FOR FIRST TIME HOME BUYERS?

THAT sounds like something that might actually have a MEASUREABLE POSITIVE EFFECT on my daily life!
Something I saw a guy bring up that I do think you'll like.

The Obama, Biden, and now Harris administration is aiding in the prevention of a genocide in the Congo by freezing the assets of a billionare who wants to mine in land not his and he's been trying to fund warlords to kill an ethnic group in the area. Not only is he trying to do so... but he's an Israeli banker who is VERY pro Zionist, and who Trump unfroze the accounts of as president, because... Trump. Biden froze em, and now Harris. Thus, the genocide in the Congo has been halted utterly, and he can't aid Israel as well. Like I said before, life is beyond complicated, and you need to take your eyes off one area (no matter how important it is and it IS important) and see the whole picture. No one brought this up... because as the guy brought up, not many care about the Congo. But he's glad that some do, and the some that do have the power to save his people.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Yeah, the Israel/Palestine conflict is the world's longest running and most complicated political issue.

Treating it like some Captain Planet style moral narritive is not going to help anyone. It's just a way to make yourself miserable.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I need to asked, is the Boarder really that big a deal.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

J!! wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:09 pm Yeah, the Israel/Palestine conflict is the world's longest running and most complicated political issue.
Only one of those things it’s true.
And pretending otherwise is basically the cause of it’s continuation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The influence of Cold War politics does tend to be understated for a lot of diplomatic complexes.
..What mirror universe?
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

I don’t think Cold War national alliance building is really the biggest factor even. Zionist just engineered a military occupation of Palestine through a combination of European racism, their deep seated desire to not have to think about/have their Jewish populations, guilt over the Holocaust and having the connections to sell individuals in power on the concept on a personal level, and once they were there the Cold War politics was more of an extra bonus to sell the whole project to some holdouts.

To be clear mind I’m focusing on the underlying issue and morality of the thing. Any complexity here is born purely OF the fact that the entire thing has been allowed to carry on unaddressed for 70-odd years. It is logistically complicated by three or four generations of one group systematically excluding or genociding the other, but which group is aggrieved and whose “right to defend themselves” is under attack? Thats really goddamned obvious and we gain nothing from pretending otherwise or dismissing the suffering going on in the name of acknowledging false nuance.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm with CmdrKing on this.

Glad to hear the Congo genocide has stopped though. That's one less thing to worry about for now.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:54 am I'm with CmdrKing on this.

Glad to hear the Congo genocide has stopped though. That's one less thing to worry about for now.
Don't say that outloud, they may restart it just to spite you.