San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

Post by clearspira »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63816454

San Francisco has voted to allow armed robots equipped with guns and explosives.

This is the best example of ''defund the police'' I have yet seen because the slippery slope absolutely applies here. It starts with ''we are only going to use our roaming pack of drones armed with C4 plastic explosives on only the most violent criminals'' and ends with it being used on much, much less. We've seen it, it happens, and it will happen.

BTW, I hasten to add here that having a police force that is more powerful than most armies is really only an America and a China thing.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: San Francisco to allow police 'killer robots'

Post by Nealithi »

Let's see, there is already a campaign group called Stop Killer Robots. . . Did this setup before or after the bill came in?
SFPD says they do not have 'killer' robots yet.
Linked article on robot used to kill a sniper indicates they used a bomb disposal robot to deliver a bomb close to a sniper trying to kill police officers and had already killed two of them. . .

I am not sure this is desensitizing. It was use a robot to get somewhere people couldn't. Not military grade drones sweeping the city waiting to snipe down anyone they desire.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

How is arming police with more effective armament an example of defunding?
Power laces... alright.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Being a police officer is safer now than it ever has been. The problem is that everyone seems to have so gotten used to the idea that the job should be less dangerous that people now seem to expect it to have *no* danger.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira, I'm thinking you were meaning to say that it's an example of the slippery slope associated with the social movement of "defund the police"?
Frustration wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:22 pm Being a police officer is safer now than it ever has been. The problem is that everyone seems to have so gotten used to the idea that the job should be less dangerous that people now seem to expect it to have *no* danger.
I would think that police institutions are tightening their conduct to give officers less discretion as to when to apply state sanctioned aggression.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

So they're talking and thinking about slightly improved "Goliath tracked mines", while the crowd thinks ED-209, Terminators and Skynet. That's the same bullshit that lead to Germany not aquiring the number one weapon system used successfully in Ukraine today: Militarized/armed drones. Gawd... :roll:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Really I’m disappointed it’s not Ed 209.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:45 am clearspira, I'm thinking you were meaning to say that it's an example of the slippery slope associated with the social movement of "defund the police"?
Frustration wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:22 pm Being a police officer is safer now than it ever has been. The problem is that everyone seems to have so gotten used to the idea that the job should be less dangerous that people now seem to expect it to have *no* danger.
I would think that police institutions are tightening their conduct to give officers less discretion as to when to apply state sanctioned aggression.
can you elaborate.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Yes. ED-209. Future is here.
I got nothing to say here.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:14 pm So they're talking and thinking about slightly improved "Goliath tracked mines", while the crowd thinks ED-209, Terminators and Skynet. That's the same bullshit that lead to Germany not aquiring the number one weapon system used successfully in Ukraine today: Militarized/armed drones. Gawd... :roll:
I would say the problem is that, while the usefulness/ethics of an exploding drone are debatable for a military, a police department has no legitimate use case for an exploding robot, and the only possible applications are all police state tactics.