Nerdy Deep Dive: Order 66

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Nerdy Deep Dive: Order 66

Post by TGLS »

LittleRaven wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 pm And besides, nerdy pedantry was always the goal, so if you'd like to use a different definition....I'm down. :D
Some alternatives:
UNGA Resolution 96 wrote:Genocide is a denial of the right of existence of entire human groups, as homicide is the denial of the right to live of individual human beings ...
The General Assembly, therefore, affirms that genocide is a crime under international law…whether the crime is committed on religious, racial, political or any other grounds
Jack Nusan Porter wrote:Genocide is the deliberate destruction, in whole or in part, by a government or its agents, of a racial, sexual, religious, tribal or political minority.
Martin Shaw wrote:Genocidal action is action in which armed power organizations treat civilian social groups as enemies and aim to destroy their real or putative social power, by means of killing, violence and coercion against individuals whom they regard as members of the groups.
Under most definitions of genocide, other than the Convention's definition, the actual identity of the group is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the group is a racial group, LGBT people, billionaires, or Trekkies, rounding them up and killing them is still genocide. Under these conditions, the question of whether Jedi qualify as a religious or national group is irrelevant.

The question is now whether Order 66 was a justifiable action in response to a military coup or a genocidal act. Even accepting your argument that all the Jedi were a danger, this fails the smell test, as Order 66 was planned in advance by putting control devices in the clones for this express purpose.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

Robovski wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:36 pm Jedi are also Republic Generals when the order is issued. Before that they functioned as a police force within the Republic government. They are not civilians.
What about, and this is just one example, the librarian? She wasn’t in the Republic’s military.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Every Jedi was military. Even padawans on their first day got a Commander title. There are no civilians in an order of knights.

The librarian specifically was a Jedi master and former Council member, making her one of the most dangerous beings in the Galaxy.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

TGLS wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:09 pm
LittleRaven wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 pm And besides, nerdy pedantry was always the goal, so if you'd like to use a different definition....I'm down. :D
Some alternatives:
UNGA Resolution 96 wrote:Genocide is a denial of the right of existence of entire human groups, as homicide is the denial of the right to live of individual human beings ...
The General Assembly, therefore, affirms that genocide is a crime under international law…whether the crime is committed on religious, racial, political or any other grounds
Jack Nusan Porter wrote:Genocide is the deliberate destruction, in whole or in part, by a government or its agents, of a racial, sexual, religious, tribal or political minority.
Martin Shaw wrote:Genocidal action is action in which armed power organizations treat civilian social groups as enemies and aim to destroy their real or putative social power, by means of killing, violence and coercion against individuals whom they regard as members of the groups.
Under most definitions of genocide, other than the Convention's definition, the actual identity of the group is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the group is a racial group, LGBT people, billionaires, or Trekkies, rounding them up and killing them is still genocide. Under these conditions, the question of whether Jedi qualify as a religious or national group is irrelevant.

The question is now whether Order 66 was a justifiable action in response to a military coup or a genocidal act. Even accepting your argument that all the Jedi were a danger, this fails the smell test, as Order 66 was planned in advance by putting control devices in the clones for this express purpose.
All those groups classify as an identity (if your post was directed at me re: identity). If you just did the billionaires in one city then that wouldn't really be a genocide, it would have to be the whole country (not necessarily the world I don't think). It's the fact that they have some sort of collective associative body in the world that could have a tax identity or something. Not necessarily of official circumstances of course, but the degree to which someone identifies through such facet, is targeted indiscriminately within some politically recognized preposition such as a general and vast enough territory, a country, or the planet -- the more discrete the preposition the more that becomes part of the identity I would say...

I think Order 66 is clearly in the realm of a Fascist, specifically the part where the state does something like resort to violence subject to circular logic considering they mandate their own constitution and it begs the question as to what is ethical state operandum. Killing everyone including the padawans certainly violates modern doctrines of justice as recognized by IGO bodies like the UN.
Power laces... alright.
Simplicius
Officer

Post by Simplicius »

"They weren't civilians!" you cry and scream as you're sentenced to death for the massacre of children at a Shaolin Temple.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

yeah wtf
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Simplicius wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:29 pm "They weren't civilians!" you cry and scream as you're sentenced to death for the massacre of children at a Shaolin Temple.
What are you talking about? It was 1928, nobody thought twice about it.

edit: I realized after posting you meant this as a real life hypothetical and weren't referring to when it already happened.

If you're hesitant about killing children, you should probably just avoid committing atrocities altogether.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.