The Mandalorian

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: The Mandalorian

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Coming on a couple of days here, and I am curious as to a response if you have one cs.

I'm only curious as to it seems like a rational citation of media (if true). And I don't think you have to embrace all her ideas if you happen to agree with one.
..What mirror universe?
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm I don't watch the show but apparently Anita Sarkeesian is pissed that a woman Mandalorian in the latest episode has armour that is form fitting over her boobs. What a truly ridiculous woman. She helps the feminist cause as much as someone who spits in church helps atheists.
Well I have heard the complaint before for another work (might have been her), and that it's not practical breast armorment. Like it's worse or something when the metal gets impinged in that area.

I'm not certain what the correct type of armor fitting would be, myself.
Her argument sort of fell through because the stunt woman felt it was extra comfortable.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm I don't watch the show but apparently Anita Sarkeesian is pissed that a woman Mandalorian in the latest episode has armour that is form fitting over her boobs. What a truly ridiculous woman. She helps the feminist cause as much as someone who spits in church helps atheists.
Well I have heard the complaint before for another work (might have been her), and that it's not practical breast armorment. Like it's worse or something when the metal gets impinged in that area.

I'm not certain what the correct type of armor fitting would be, myself.
Her argument sort of fell through because the stunt woman felt it was extra comfortable.
The problem was in concept iirc.

I'm taking a swing for the fences here, but if a sword comes down the middle, then it will impinge into skin when it could just be a broad bridge over them to protect it in more arching fashion.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:07 pm I'm not certain what the correct type of armor fitting would be, myself.
I imagine that breasted plate and unbreasted plate fit more or less the same way: with lots and lots of padding to make it comfortable. Given that making armour fit is mostly a matter of matching padding to the wearer, I can't really imagine it would be that much more expensive either.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

again IIRC it's about its function, and not the fit. Like if it gets struck and the form fitting design is technically more dangerous.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Yeah. You don't need boob plate for fitting, and it's too easy to break through all the same.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Let's bring in an expert on armor.

youtu.be/bpbjSmZx3m4
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

:lol:

I bet she'd object to Mira's choice of attire too. Even though by her own admission, it's literally done just to throw her targets off guard, and WHAM. They go down. Plus it's implied she's had romantic flings with her targets, to get in close, and all you can think about a lady like that is... Worth It. Even if you're captured.
Chaos Sepher wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:14 pm Lord I can't wait for Chuck to talk about Mandolorian. Between Clone Wars relevance and Battlestar Galactica reference it is gonna be a treat.
I have a confession, as we now come up on seven years since they threw out the EU and went to do their own thing, with no sign of even so much as a single novel on the horizon, that I'm finding it increasingly hard to keep up with modern SW. It's just the source of too much controversy and anger and childish behavior from both sides of the aisle. Mr. Chuck never behaves that way, but look at Mr. Pascal's recent comments and YT drama queens and FM types trying to cash in. It's really embarrassing. And for me personally, since LF just threw out the EU and left Legends as an untapped market to gather dust at the expense of their business partners, I might just prefer to pirate this, stop supporting DSW directly and get it all secondhand. TOR updates and a single comic issue in six years is just so pitiful. If you're a KOTOR fan, don't get your hopes up. DSW can never replicate that.

When the novelty to this wears off, trust me... I have serious doubts about where the franchise is going to go next. Especially when the next reboot is coming, and the new market attempts to ape the second-generation canon now. What you'll have is third-generation product. Like the Asgard, copies of copies of copies, with equally diminishing returns.

"And look where it got them."
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:51 pm again IIRC it's about its function, and not the fit. Like if it gets struck and the form fitting design is technically more dangerous.
I guess IRL it would create a bigger target to have them ''out there'' instead of flattened. I'm thinking of Olympic Taekwondo where the women wear flat chest pieces.

And as for Anita, I think pretty much anything she has ever said that I agreed with is just copy and paste from people who actually know the subject. Although she was right about the abuse she got.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

clearspira wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:21 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:51 pm again IIRC it's about its function, and not the fit. Like if it gets struck and the form fitting design is technically more dangerous.
I guess IRL it would create a bigger target to have them ''out there'' instead of flattened. I'm thinking of Olympic Taekwondo where the women wear flat chest pieces.

And as for Anita, I think pretty much anything she has ever said that I agreed with is just copy and paste from people who actually know the subject. Although she was right about the abuse she got.
Again, Mira had best outfit, not just for sex appeal.

It's sleek and streamlined, so that it emphasizes her agility, being more a speedster than a raw brute fighter. Which comes in handy as a bounty hunter.

Plus she just looks so great in it. :D