Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Jodie Whittaker steps down as Dr Who

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 pm
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:26 pm
BBally81 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm
youtu.be/23skrgRPbrw
3.27: ''But where is the plummet!? I'm not seeing the big kaboom.''

David Tennant, Voyage of the Damned - 13.31 million.

Jodie Whittaker, Revolution of the Daleks - 6.25 million.

This my friend is why you should always fact check agenda-driven Youtubers such as this. And I would also like to note that Voyage of the Damned managed to get double the viewing figures despite the fact that people were allowed to leave their homes back then. We're in a Lockdown in Britain. We are required by law to sit inside with little else to do but watch TV - and it STILL didn't manage to get close.
Hmm no tv shows had that kind of ratings anymore.
Fair point - let me use another comparison. Here's the season 12 ratings in full. There is an obvious question that certainly presents itself to me: How did the show lose a million viewers in just seven weeks?

Episode 1 "Spyfall, Part 1": 4.88 million

Episode 2 "Spyfall, Part 2": 4.6 million

Episode 3 "Orphan 55": 4.19 million

Episode 4 "Nikola Tesla's Night of Terror": 4.04 million

Episode 5 "Fugitive of the Judoon": 4.21 million

Episode 6 "Praxeus": 3.97 million

Episode 7 "Can You Hear Me?": 3.81 million

Also, as an aside, one thing also occurs to me about Revolution of the Daleks is that its the return of fan-favourite Jack Harkness. I would say therefore that the possibility exists people were tuning in for him rather than her.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Or possibly the daleks. SaY what you really about Chibnall is better with them than Moffet ever was.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

How dare they actually try something new and stick to it.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:26 pm
BBally81 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:44 pm
youtu.be/23skrgRPbrw
3.27: ''But where is the plummet!? I'm not seeing the big kaboom.''

David Tennant, Voyage of the Damned - 13.31 million.

Jodie Whittaker, Revolution of the Daleks - 6.25 million.

This my friend is why you should always fact check agenda-driven Youtubers such as this. And I would also like to note that Voyage of the Damned managed to get double the viewing figures despite the fact that people were allowed to leave their homes back then. We're in a Lockdown in Britain. We are required by law to sit inside with little else to do but watch TV - and it STILL didn't manage to get close.
He's one of the least agenda pushing Youtubers, far less than people like TheQuaterring or Clownfish who pretended to support the Snyder Cut because news sites which are their target of ridicule complained about it or who spent time using clickbaity titles or act like politics are what ruining media, not you know the quality of writing? Otherwise Classic Who stories like The Sunmakers or The Green Death, which are really in your face political wouldn't be considered beloved episodes.

Also these people like to point out how "Japan isn't putting politics in their anime", ignoring all the anime that actually tackled topics like politics and racism, heck one of the recent big hits Moriarty the Patriot tackles the corruption of Victoria era England's the class system. Many of Tezuka's works were so political they would make Spike Lee blush, the 70s mecha anime Great Mazinger had an episode that tackled racism through one of its supporting character's past of being mistreated for being half black and of course the notorious moment from the ever popular One Piece when Luffy punch an actual bigot who shot a Fishman like he was an animal.

youtu.be/JMyryLJBZ-0

youtu.be/UMXN6B-tqZM

youtu.be/sDQkf-0ke9o

youtu.be/Ky7RTvnuaYQ

So, compared to those lot, he's one of the least agenda pushing Youtubers.

Also in case you haven't noticed most of TV vieweships are down because most people use streaming platforms now.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2021/fe ... yer-sounds

Look at the ratings for UK TV viewerships this past Christmas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55452186

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0in%202019.

Most people are using streaming services like BBC iPlayer or Netflix while those who watched TV watched the news because of you know, what's happening in the world today.

This special got ratings close to what Capaldi episodes got, which means the recent canon retcon didn't drive away the entirety of its viewership as certain Youtubers claimed it is, there's still interest to see if it improves. The show isn't getting the ratings it used to but it's far from dying unlike what certain people like to think. Just replace Chibnell with someone more competent as showrunner and the ratings might improve.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:50 pm How dare they actually try something new and stick to it.
They knew that the sex change would split the fanbase in two and did it anyway so don't give me that.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Watching her in other stuff I blame writing not Jodie she's an excellent actress when given good scripts.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

BBally81 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:35 am This special got ratings close to what Capaldi episodes got, which means the recent canon retcon didn't drive away the entirety of its viewership as certain Youtubers claimed it is, there's still interest to see if it improves. The show isn't getting the ratings it used to but it's far from dying unlike what certain people like to think. Just replace Chibnell with someone more competent as showrunner and the ratings might improve.
I definitely agree on this, I personally feel Jodie Whittaker leaving will not "fix" anything, it's down to Chris Chibnall as a showrunner that either needs to improve, or Doctor Who needing new management with fresh talent.

It is a shame honestly because there are good elements to the series, Jodie Whittaker's Doctor is fantastic, her brightest and energeticness is such a joy to watch and is easily the best aspect of the series, I like the family/gang dynamic with the companions, the episodes about Rosa Parks and Nikola Tesla were good, and I personally was ok with the reveal at the end of season 13 as it reminded me of The Cartmel Masterplan, but like I said, it's down to the execution, and frankly Chibnall handles Doctor Who like it's a dull British costume drama, aside from Jodie Whittaker and when the companions and other actors are given good material, there's rarely any energy or passion to the series, and is often forgettable, it's just... there.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 am
Thebestoftherest wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:50 pm How dare they actually try something new and stick to it.
They knew that the sex change would split the fanbase in two and did it anyway so don't give me that.
You can deal with the same person being old, young, tall, short, crotchety, outgoing, hair that's blond or black or white or brown, but that's where you draw the line? I can't get past this. I can't believe people like you are still making this Controversial.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 am
clearspira wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 am
You can deal with the same person being old, young, tall, short, crotchety, outgoing, hair that's blond or black or white or brown, but that's where you draw the line? I can't get past this. I can't believe people like you are still making this Controversial.
Fair point - I mean that. But we all know that the BBC wouldn't change the sex of an iconic female or Black character.