Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Mabus wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:21 pm Ah, the musical episode. Not the worst Star Trek episode.
But without the doubt the dumbest episode ever made. It's nothing but pure dumb dumb.
There really isn't anything I can say about it.
Silly doesn't necessarily mean stupid.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

stryke wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:16 am Yep, of all the complaints you could have about this one is that there's not enough meaningful character stuff is a mad one. Especially as it does so much work that was started by Boimler to get Spock and Chapel from where they were in this show to where they will be in TOS.
Where were they in TOS? I'm not arguing, genuinely curious. Because whilst I remember a lot of Chapel wanting to be more than friends I cannot say the same thing about Spock. He seemed rather vanilla on her tbh.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:10 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:36 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:07 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:34 pm I haven't seen it yet but the contrast between some fans grimly lamenting this dark day and other fans gleefully enjoying it exactly like Buffy fans with "Once More With Feeling" is hilarious.
Buffy always had the tone of a comic book. Stupid things like that are perfectly in-keeping.

The original TOS pilot was rejected for being too cerebral. The same show that now has the same set of characters singing like its Aladdin.
They also did a "what if everyone was drunk on duty" plot in the fourth episode aired.
Getting drunk by the previously established side-effect of Trek polywater vs singing like Aladdin.

You don't see the difference there?

And actually, y'know what? ''The Naked Now'' despite being crap was also an incredibly important episode in TNG lore because its the episode where Data loses his virginity and it is heavily implied that he falls in love with Yar as a result. Its brought up again during her funeral. Its brought up again when Maddox is trying to purchase Data. Its brought up again when he has sex with the Borg Queen. It says something of Data. Emotionless yet capable of strong bonds.

You also see something of Yar. She's the hardass tomboy brought up on a Mad Max planet running from rape gangs and yet she stares wistfully at Troi's feminine dresses, perhaps seeing the woman she could have been. She reminds me of Veronica from Fallout New Vegas. You get the impression that if someone bought her a dress she would squee.

What exactly do we learn about the 1701 crew here in their ''Glee'' episode again?
I was talking about "The Naked Time". Fourth Star Trek episode aired ever (yeah I know it's listed as episode six now, that wasn't the airing order). The shirtless Sulu and Kyle hijacking the intercom to sing a song on a loop one.
Oh that one. They were both crap but that one is the worst of the two.

Supposedly though George Takei actually quite likes it as they gave him a fencing foil instead of a samurai sword. He wasn't running around like a ninja going ''hey yah!!'' either. Is the little things but this was the sixties. This is the era where Jerry Lewis screwing his face up and wearing a pair of comedy teeth was still considered entertainment - even Joe Piscopo was pulling that over on TNG twenty years later.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

clearspira wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:25 amWhere were they in TOS? I'm not arguing, genuinely curious. Because whilst I remember a lot of Chapel wanting to be more than friends I cannot say the same thing about Spock. He seemed rather vanilla on her tbh.
It's less to do with the relationship for Spock, but this episode is very much signalling the winding of his trying to be more human experiment which will lead to the much more Vulcan like Vulcan that is Spock in TOS.

Chapel it sets up where she's going to be in What are Little Girls Made of i.e that she's off to study with Korby, they'll get married, he'll go missing, and then she'll take any position available to go find him even if it means going back to being a nurse.

To save a whole wall of text more I think this post and some of the top comments on reddit breaks it down well: https://old.reddit.com/r/startrek/comme ... ut_of_the/
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

Great, a cliff hanger ending during one of the biggest Hollywood strikes... All things considered it may be late next year if that to see Season 3. At least this cliff hanger felt decent when compared to the few other ones we've seen in this era.

The old Trek trope of 'no female captains' feels like it was here. I'm honestly not sure if that captain will make it and even if she does she might be too harmed by the Gorn baby to stay in the chair. Will also lead to her and Pike cutting things off.

Everyone had something this episode. It feel like the writers used each person well. Seeing Scotty show up was nice, first seeing him I thought he would have aced the Academy engineering class, but the line about him having the worse grades earned a chuckle. This does make me think Bones will show up next season. In that same vain I doubt we'll see Chekov or Sulu at all in SNW which isn't a bad thing, but that's my thinking.

Specialized gear given to ships to help face a new threat! Nice to see Starfleet is thinking. I do feel that only the captain knowing about said gear is stupid. The first officer and head of security should know the gear is there for emergencies. I mean it isn't like Omega or anything like that so why not let them know?

Liked the zero G fight though it felt off to me. Turning one's self in a weightless environment, even in a space suit, should feel like being in water. Once Chapel had gotten the phaser she should have been able to turn herself a lot quicker.

Overall the episode and season was decent. Prodigy I think is still the best right now followed by SNW and then Lower Decks.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

m4a2000 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:26 pm Great, a cliff hanger ending during one of the biggest Hollywood strikes... All things considered it may be late next year if that to see Season 3. At least this cliff hanger felt decent when compared to the few other ones we've seen in this era.

The old Trek trope of 'no female captains' feels like it was here. I'm honestly not sure if that captain will make it and even if she does she might be too harmed by the Gorn baby to stay in the chair. Will also lead to her and Pike cutting things off.

Everyone had something this episode. It feel like the writers used each person well. Seeing Scotty show up was nice, first seeing him I thought he would have aced the Academy engineering class, but the line about him having the worse grades earned a chuckle. This does make me think Bones will show up next season. In that same vain I doubt we'll see Chekov or Sulu at all in SNW which isn't a bad thing, but that's my thinking.

Specialized gear given to ships to help face a new threat! Nice to see Starfleet is thinking. I do feel that only the captain knowing about said gear is stupid. The first officer and head of security should know the gear is there for emergencies. I mean it isn't like Omega or anything like that so why not let them know?

Liked the zero G fight though it felt off to me. Turning one's self in a weightless environment, even in a space suit, should feel like being in water. Once Chapel had gotten the phaser she should have been able to turn herself a lot quicker.

Overall the episode and season was decent. Prodigy I think is still the best right now followed by SNW and then Lower Decks.
Bones was not in ''Where No Man Has Gone Before.'' It was someone called Dr Piper. We had Scotty, Sulu and Uhura though. That doesn't mean we can't do a Chekov and have him ''meet Khan on the lower decks'' or something, but I suspect that they will skip that stage and just retcon the good doctor.

Speaking of that episode. The character whom I would like to see more of is Gary Mitchell. The man was meant to be Kirk's best friend. That's why it was such a tragedy when he was forced to kill him.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Who else swore? Cause I swore a lot. Loudly.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Not a huge fan of season-ending cliffhangers. Thought we were getting a hint of the gorn as people rather than just monsters when the youngling left them alone, but nope, it was just recognizing the eggs.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

See I do think they're setting up gorn as people quite a bit with that episode. You had the conversation about monsters, the gorn sending a reminder of the line, the one in the spacesuit, him getting more frustrated with the computer, and I think they were aiming for some sympathy with his deaththroes after Spock shanked him.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:02 am Not a huge fan of season-ending cliffhangers. Thought we were getting a hint of the gorn as people rather than just monsters when the youngling left them alone, but nope, it was just recognizing the eggs.
I'm very much opened to it. They kind of went off a cliff with the Last Jedi, but most everything now seems to try to end like a novel despite still only having the amount of substance for a miniseries.

I want a normal handshake agreement cliffhanger like in the old days.
..What mirror universe?