Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (Season 2)

Post by Madner Kami »

Remember how everyone thought the early TNG-antics were off-putting?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:07 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:34 pm I haven't seen it yet but the contrast between some fans grimly lamenting this dark day and other fans gleefully enjoying it exactly like Buffy fans with "Once More With Feeling" is hilarious.
Buffy always had the tone of a comic book. Stupid things like that are perfectly in-keeping.

The original TOS pilot was rejected for being too cerebral. The same show that now has the same set of characters singing like its Aladdin.
They also did a "what if everyone was drunk on duty" plot in the fourth episode aired.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:50 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:34 pm I haven't seen it yet but the contrast between some fans grimly lamenting this dark day and other fans gleefully enjoying it exactly like Buffy fans with "Once More With Feeling" is hilarious.
Buffy always had the tone of a comic book. Stupid things like that are perfectly in-keeping.

The original TOS pilot was rejected for being too cerebral. The same show that now has the same set of characters singing like its Aladdin.
They also did a "what if everyone was drunk on duty" plot in the fourth episode aired.
Star Trek - Strange New Worlds. Boldly going where TOS, TNG, DS9, Voy and ENT have gone before.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Pretty much every series has done a rendition of a previous series' episode, almost as a throwback. The episode where Data steals the Enterprise is the same plot as Spock stealing the Enterprise in TOS to see Pike.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Getting drunk by the previously established side-effect of Trek polywater vs singing like Aladdin.

You don't see the difference there?

And actually, y'know what? ''The Naked Now'' despite being crap was also an incredibly important episode in TNG lore because its the episode where Data loses his virginity and it is heavily implied that he falls in love with Yar as a result. Its brought up again during her funeral. Its brought up again when Maddox is trying to purchase Data. Its brought up again when he has sex with the Borg Queen. It says something of Data. Emotionless yet capable of strong bonds.

You also see something of Yar. She's the hardass tomboy brought up on a Mad Max planet running from rape gangs and yet she stares wistfully at Troi's feminine dresses, perhaps seeing the woman she could have been. She reminds me of Veronica from Fallout New Vegas. You get the impression that if someone bought her a dress she would squee.

What exactly do we learn about the 1701 crew here in their ''Glee'' episode again?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:36 pm

Getting drunk by the previously established side-effect of Trek polywater vs singing like Aladdin.

And actually, y'know what? ''The Naked Now'' despite being crap was also an incredibly important episode in TNG lore because its the episode where Data loses his virginity and it is heavily implied that he falls in love with Yar as a result. Its brought up again during her funeral. Its brought up again when Maddox is trying to purchase Data. Its brought up again when he has sex with the Borg Queen. It says something of Data. Emotionless yet capable of strong bonds.

You also see something of Yar. She's the hardass tomboy brought up on a Mad Max planet running from rape gangs and yet she stares wistfully at Troi's feminine dresses, perhaps seeing the woman she could have been. She reminds me of Veronica from Fallout New Vegas. You get the impression that if someone bought her a dress she would squee.

What exactly do we learn about the 1701 crew here in their ''Glee'' episode again?
I was talking about "The Naked Time". Fourth Star Trek episode aired ever (yeah I know it's listed as episode six now, that wasn't the airing order). The shirtless Sulu and Kyle hijacking the intercom to sing a song on a loop one.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:40 pm
m4a2000 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:07 am I am skipping this one. Just not my cup of tea. I did see the clip of the Klingon boy band... If that doesn't become a meme in some way I'll be shocked.

Season ends next episode and I can already tell someone is going to bite it.
A lot of people didn't like the Klingon boy band. I guess they just don't care for...

*puts on sunglasses*

K-Pop.

YEOWWWWWW
*hi five*
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:36 pm

I mean we literally have characters forced to bare their feelings and unlock their foremost emotions. There's that.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Yep, of all the complaints you could have about this one is that there's not enough meaningful character stuff is a mad one. Especially as it does so much work that was started by Boimler to get Spock and Chapel from where they were in this show to where they will be in TOS.
Mabus
Captain

Post by Mabus »

Ah, the musical episode. Not the worst Star Trek episode.
But without the doubt the dumbest episode ever made. It's nothing but pure dumb dumb.
There really isn't anything I can say about it.