Star Trek Picard season 3

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard season 3

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:50 am They still haven't explained why most of the Changeling crew never leave Discount Turian form.

Or why Seven and Raffi broke up come to think of it.
I mean, Seven joined Starfleet and Raffi is working as an undercover spy.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:31 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:50 am They still haven't explained why most of the Changeling crew never leave Discount Turian form.

Or why Seven and Raffi broke up come to think of it.
We’ll after what we went through watching them in season 2 we could get a little more to go on.
I mean, Seven joined Starfleet and Raffi is working as an undercover spy.
Well, after what we went through having to watch/listen to them in season two, I think we deserve a little more.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CMWaters wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:01 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:13 am It's similar to why Starfleet doesn't give their security officers armor or something. Or personal shields.
Well, at least the 24th/25th century ones. Late 23rd century though...

Guessing it fell out of favor sometime slightly before TNG's start, when the worst Starfleet was dealing with were some Cardassian border skirmishes and whatever the Ferengi were faking as a power in the galaxy (like how Picard joked to Groppler Zorn about the Ferengi finding him tasty as their last clients).

Could have potentially helped to get some of that stuff during the Dominion War (or hell, protect the right areas and even against Borg attacks) though. But TV budgets and all that.
Suspect Gene Roddenberry had something to do with it during the pre production of TNG. He never liked the militeristic aspects of the TOS movies.

Probably wouldn't cost that much to make a set of helmets and armor for Yar and Worf to wear when needed. May even get some time and money back in not having to do Dorn's forehead for a day or something. Just glue those eyebrows, nose and beard down.
I got nothing to say here.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

This is what a hand phaser can do to about two metres of solid rock. That piddling plastic armour ain't doing a thing and in fact is probably just slowing you down.

Lets be clear about this: phasers suck on-screen only because of the script. A phaser set to ''drill through a cliff'' on wide-beam should end every firefight short of your enemy having a sniper rifle. It is the equivalent of having a BFG 9000 in your pocket.

The lack of personal forcefields though is ridiculous.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:34 am Image

This is what a hand phaser can do to about two metres of solid rock. That piddling plastic armour ain't doing a thing and in fact is probably just slowing you down.

Lets be clear about this: phasers suck on-screen only because of the script. A phaser set to ''drill through a cliff'' on wide-beam should end every firefight short of your enemy having a sniper rifle. It is the equivalent of having a BFG 9000 in your pocket.

Those pads could contain miniaturized forcefield-projectors. Also, particular when it comes to Klingons and Jem'Hadar, close quarters combat with melee weapons is a thing on starships and some rudimentary armor will help you there.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CMWaters
Officer

Post by CMWaters »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:49 pm
clearspira wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:34 am Image

Those pads could contain miniaturized forcefield-projectors. Also, particular when it comes to Klingons and Jem'Hadar, close quarters combat with melee weapons is a thing on starships and some rudimentary armor will help you there.
Yeah, but not even The Borg think of armoring for melee weapons despite what Worf did to them in "First Contact".
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing."
Robin Williams
1978 HBO Special
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

CMWaters wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:57 pm Yeah, but not even The Borg think of armoring for melee weapons despite what Worf did to them in "First Contact".
I think we can argue that melee weapons could get in the way of the assimilation.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'm still trying to figure out how the same phasers on the same settings on this show will either barely cause the target to flinch or totally disintegrate them apparently at random.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:26 pm I'm still trying to figure out how the same phasers on the same settings on this show will either barely cause the target to flinch or totally disintegrate them apparently at random.
The officers set the setting themselves. You’ll see the commanding officer often tell them to adjust them accordingly for the situation.
..What mirror universe?
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:52 pm
hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:26 pm I'm still trying to figure out how the same phasers on the same settings on this show will either barely cause the target to flinch or totally disintegrate them apparently at random.
The officers set the setting themselves. You’ll see the commanding officer often tell them to adjust them accordingly for the situation.
You see both from the same gun in the same firefight in the latest episode.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.