Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Is Disney finally ditching WOKE politics?

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:29 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:25 pm The issue of politics in media tends to be an issue of subtly. Fantasy is fair ground for allegory, and it's commonly not too hard to gather where the tones of a piece at least slant.

When you have IPs that are subject to more contractual writing, as is the broad structure of Disney's process, then I suppose it's problematic. And that reaches into how subtle the political message is as you now have to have more provision in order blend things more, which is a rubik's cube of a situation.
Is it about subtlety, though? As Mr. Chuck has noted, ST has been rather heavy-handed before. Though those episodes weren't exactly remembered as the high mark, were they? So perhaps a bad example.
What about episode like the drumhead, or the measure of a man?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Drumhead was much better than MoM btw.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

MoM was also subtle, I'd contend.

Look at it this way. For example, when does Mr. Chuck bring up TOS's misogynistic undertones? Only when it's relevant. The other users wave off that approach insisting you could be shielding racism when you're trying to aim for a color-blind world, but that's honestly the way to do it if you're striving for a more egalitarian future.

And the difference between something like BLM and the '60s is that... for one, marriage discrimination is a thing of the past. So it's hard not to see them being petty when they're rioting over injustices that, honestly, are peanuts compared to the past. Slavery was hundreds of years ago. When do we finally move on?

I tend to think we're shifting more towards a class-based identity, similar to Mr. Chuck's remarks from DS9's Past Tense. But what do I know.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:54 pm MoM was also subtle, I'd contend.

Look at it this way. For example, when does Mr. Chuck bring up TOS's misogynistic undertones? Only when it's relevant. The other users wave off that approach insisting you could be shielding racism when you're trying to aim for a color-blind world, but that's honestly the way to do it if you're striving for a more egalitarian future.

And the difference between something like BLM and the '60s is that... for one, marriage discrimination is a thing of the past. So it's hard not to see them being petty when they're rioting over injustices that, honestly, are peanuts compared to the past. Slavery was hundreds of years ago. When do we finally move on?

I tend to think we're shifting more towards a class-based identity, similar to Mr. Chuck's remarks from DS9's Past Tense. But what do I know.
When people of color stop being in dangerous because some thug of an officer doesn't skin color.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:57 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:54 pm MoM was also subtle, I'd contend.

When people of color stop being in dangerous because some thug of an officer doesn't skin color.
You are aware white people get shot as well, yes? Because it's wrong no matter who it is.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:57 pm

You are aware white people get shot as well, yes? Because it's wrong no matter who it is.
yes, but they aren't the one being targeted as much.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

People forget old movies and tv shows has had strong political themes at times including several episodes of Classic Doctor Who (The Massacre, The Peladon saga (first was inspired by the UK public discussion of joining the EU and the second was inspired by the UK Miner's Strike in 1972), The Mutants, The Green Death, The Sunmakers, The Happiness Patrol) and Manga and Anime had ton of titles that were very political, hell several of Osamu Tezuka's work had such strong political themes it would make Spike Lee and Howard Chaykin blush.

The issue isn't something being too political or wokeness, it's bad writing.
Zargon wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:50 am Frozen is an odd color example. It is hugely popular with nearly all girls and made Disney a ton of money. Now take any other colorful movie you mentioned and sure some girls liked it, and it made some money, but none were really big hits.

Sure there are some 'one minded' folks of color that will only watch or buy things of their color: they lead a color coded life. But nearly everyone watches, likes and buys 'white".

Asia is a great example as they have gone crazy obsessed over White Media, especially in the last decade or so. This is why they slip places like China into so many movies now....but they don't even need to. Take any typical American white movie and Asia loves it, just as much as any American. And it's really odd as it shows an alien culture to them, but they love it anyway.
Except the Aladdin remake which featured a cast that was mostly non-white was a big box office hit world wide including of all places Japan. Don't forget Black Panther.
Captain Crimson
Captain

BBally81 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:34 pm The issue isn't something being too political or wokeness, it's bad writing.
I'd be inclined to agree. In the presence of bad writing, the politics becomes all the more noticeable and indeed, obnoxious. Even for those who agree with it, because we don't even have the comfortable setting cleverly laid down by a competent management team.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pmYou are aware white people get shot as well, yes? Because it's wrong no matter who it is.
Whenever people say "All Lives Matter", my response is, "I agree. So let's deal with black people first so we can make a significant step to helping everyone."
Thebestoftherest
Captain

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:48 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:08 pmYou are aware white people get shot as well, yes? Because it's wrong no matter who it is.
Whenever people say "All Lives Matter", my response is, "I agree. So let's deal with black people first so we can make a significant step to helping everyone."
With you there Charles.