SSS: Steven Seagal Sucks

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Jonathan101
Captain

Re: SSS: Steven Seagal Sucks

Post by Jonathan101 »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:44 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:27 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:55 pm I think death of the author really mean, you can interrupt what the works means, even if the creator says differently.
I agree. I don't think it means what Madner was getting at.
You were argueing that we should look at the person and the art as two seperate instances. I said, that I don't think you can do this, at least in this case. He's specifically playing himself as he envisions himself or wants other people to percieve him. His entire spiel is counter to the idea of Death of the Author.
Well, most of his good movies are his earlier ones, and it's less that he was playing himself as he wanted to be seen as he actually stole details from his own movies (written by other people) and passed them off as real.

Most of the movies he had more direct involvement in came later, and are notoriously bad. The vast majority of his movies these days are direct to DVD and he's clearly bored and out of shape and only doing it for the paycheque.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Again, he haven't gotten more thano n job in a decade
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:47 pm Let's try to remember to separate the person from the art.
As a person, he's an irredeemable scum sucking pile of dogshit of the lowest order. And his movies are terrible too.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Kinky Vorlon wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:41 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:47 pm Let's try to remember to separate the person from the art.
As a person, he's an irredeemable scum sucking pile of dogshit of the lowest order. And his movies are terrible too.
Well it's said that the quality of his later works leaves for some desired. At least compared to his earlier works.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:46 am
Well it's said that the quality of his later works leaves for some desired. At least compared to his earlier works.
I will forever maintain that when Seagal was putting in the effort he could act to the required standard of an action movie star. ''Glimmer Man'' for example, he was joking around and smiling and had expressions on his face.
Is he really all that worse than Vin Diesel? He plays Dominic Toretto or Riddick in literally every film that he is in.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:01 am
I will forever maintain that when Seagal was putting in the effort he could act to the required standard of an action movie star. ''Glimmer Man'' for example, he was joking around and smiling and had expressions on his face.
Is he really all that worse than Vin Diesel? He plays Dominic Toretto or Riddick in literally every film that he is in.
Yeah but is Vin Diesel really worse than Robert Downey Jr.? I mean just based on what you're saying.

An understated fact here would be that Dominic Toretto is pretty much all that Vin Diesel plays now, and is not particularly unsuccessful at that. Fast and the Furious remained constant, while Dwayne Johnson's spinoff, while doing good, didn't get too far off the ground.
..What mirror universe?
Jonathan101
Captain

Post by Jonathan101 »

Don't forget that Vin Diesel is Groot.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:43 pm
Yeah but is Vin Diesel really worse than Robert Downey Jr.? I mean just based on what you're saying.

An understated fact here would be that Dominic Toretto is pretty much all that Vin Diesel plays now, and is not particularly unsuccessful at that. Fast and the Furious remained constant, while Dwayne Johnson's spinoff, while doing good, didn't get too far off the ground.
Vin Diesel has always played badass fighter characters even when he had hair. I might be wrong of course. There might be some drama where he doesn't act like a Vin Diesel character. Outside of course playing Groot.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:50 am

Vin Diesel has always played badass fighter characters even when he had hair. I might be wrong of course. There might be some drama where he doesn't act like a Vin Diesel character. Outside of course playing Groot.
The go to for alternative caricature is The Boiler Room.
..What mirror universe?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:58 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:50 am

The go to for alternative caricature is The Boiler Room.
I looked it up. I actually totally forgot that movie. I did see it long ago. I might watch it again.
I got nothing to say here.