What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

For anything and everything that's not already covered in the other forums. Except for that which is forbidden. Check the forum guidelines to make sure or risk the wrath of the warrior cobalt tarantulas!
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: What's Going on with Everyone's Lives

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:29 pm
I haven't celebrated a birthday in years because that is exactly how I feel about them. A birthday is nothing more than the hour hand slowly moving its way around your clock towards that inevitable moment that it either strikes 12 or breaks down.
Dito. The only reason I even know when my birthday is is, because my mother insists on me visiting her the weekend after and she regularly invites close family along.

Personally, I always liked the concept of celebrating birthday as a "Thanksgiving to the mother", so to say. I dunno which culture did that, but I read about that somewhere. My mom refuses that though.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

What am I currently doing. I recently upgraded my PlayStation Plus account and I now have more games than I will ever play in my lifetime. Its definitely on the expensive side, £99 a year, but i still think it's value for money as that is basically less than the cost of two brand new games.

Anyway, I've decided to play through all of the Final Fantasy games of my youth (now with trophies!) and my current view on FF7 is that it still holds up. Graphics are terrible, controls are clunky. But there is a hundred hours of game here. Less certain about FF10. It is linear to the point of yawning at times.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Oh gawd, don't mention gaming backlogs... I mean, a lot of them are repurchases of games which I pirated back in the day, when I had no money to purchase them, but still...

"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

On the childhood games front I've been playing through the Homeworld series, just started Cataclysm. Or "Emergence" apparently since Activision has excellent lawyers.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:23 am
clearspira wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:29 pm
I haven't celebrated a birthday in years because that is exactly how I feel about them. A birthday is nothing more than the hour hand slowly moving its way around your clock towards that inevitable moment that it either strikes 12 or breaks down.
Dito. The only reason I even know when my birthday is is, because my mother insists on me visiting her the weekend after and she regularly invites close family along.

Personally, I always liked the concept of celebrating birthday as a "Thanksgiving to the mother", so to say. I dunno which culture did that, but I read about that somewhere. My mom refuses that though.
any excuse for a party.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I mean the birthday is in accordance with what’s going on in the solar system, not about the person really.

A year is the longest discrete measurement of time that one can observe, so it’s also a matter of recognizing how many of those you’ve been around for… so not about the particular day itself.

I guess people could save their “birthday” for somewhere in the middle or end of the year, but it’s probably just the case that no one in the world in history has ever wanted to hold back in such a situation.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I stopped caring about my birthday when I turned 25 or maybe even 30. One because my car insurance went down and the other some number many use as a time when you should have your shit together.

Of course nowadays it's not uncommon for people to choose a new career when their first didn't turn out what they expected. In my case, that is partially true.

My first career was with the Navy and if I stayed in (long story and no it wasn't because I fucked up), I would have retired last month with a lifetime pension. Which then would have began my second career.

In this case, my second career started earlier. Which incidentally puts me in a senior position over those retiring out of the Navy now as Chiefs or Senior Chiefs.
I got nothing to say here.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Haven't commented in a long while so...

I have a third kid, celebrated my 5th anniversary a while ago, gonna be 32 soon, and I'm just surviving.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I went and caught covid this week. Ironically found out right before my booster appointment, which is just hack writing imho.

So far cough, sore throat, sinus congestion, fever that comes and goes. Normal cold stuff.
...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:36 pm I went and caught covid this week. Ironically found out right before my booster appointment, which is just hack writing imho.

So far cough, sore throat, sinus congestion, fever that comes and goes. Normal cold stuff.
Did you test positive?
I got nothing to say here.